Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

It's official -- flyI ceasing operations January 5th. Could we get A?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's official -- flyI ceasing operations January 5th. Could we get A?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
All I can say is GOOD LUCK IAD MILEAGE RUNNERS!
its Not so bad for them they still have BWI, where WN has a very strong presence and not likely to be bounced from there any time soon. But a bit more of a drive
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
its Not so bad for them they still have BWI, where WN has a very strong presence and not likely to be bounced from there any time soon. But a bit more of a drive
And quite the horrendous drive at that, especially in rush.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:07 pm

So Unrealistic!

Originally Posted by craz
I live on the southwest side of IAD and it would take 3 hours to drive to BWI. ...and to fly from a horrible airport and fly Southworst! Forget it!

I'll miss FlyI - great flight crews!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:48 pm

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by SealBeach
I am glad to see FlyI go; if FlyI's departure from the market allows UA to price IAD fares at a level that enables them to make a modest profit (instead of what must have been break-even or money-losing levels that were comparable to FlyI's prices), then I'm all for it.
UAL's IAD operation is still in BIG trouble, even with DH's departure. True, they won't have as many flights to worry about, but Airtran and JetBlue have already smelled blood in the water on some of the most profitable routes (IAD -BOS / IAD - Florida) and they will be much harder to shake off then DH.
It is currently a long way from being a problem for UAL, but I would also watch out for MaxJet who is beginning flights out of IAD soon to London. If those flights really become popular and they expand their flights out of IAD, UAL's trans-Atlantic operations could be hit, and once those flights aren't profitable the UA IAD hub will be next on the chopping block.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:04 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by djlndc
I live on the southwest side of IAD and it would take 3 hours to drive to BWI. ...and to fly from a horrible airport and fly Southworst! Forget it!
Well...you wouldn't be flying "Southworst" now would you???
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:16 am

The flying was good while it lasted. Soon this forum will be joining the Discontinued Programs section.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum Medallion, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by spampurse
UAL's IAD operation is still in BIG trouble, even with DH's departure. True, they won't have as many flights to worry about, but Airtran and JetBlue have already smelled blood in the water on some of the most profitable routes (IAD -BOS / IAD - Florida) and they will be much harder to shake off then DH.
It is currently a long way from being a problem for UAL, but I would also watch out for MaxJet who is beginning flights out of IAD soon to London. If those flights really become popular and they expand their flights out of IAD, UAL's trans-Atlantic operations could be hit, and once those flights aren't profitable the UA IAD hub will be next on the chopping block.
So fares are going through the roof and Airtran and JetBlue are going to carve up United? NOT! Remember Airtran's CEO blasting Independence Air for pricing tickets well below cost? Airtran, JetBlue, and United will coexist with slightly higher fares out of IAD as a result of FLYI's shutdown.
Does anyone else see the dichotomy of claiming that fares will go up while at the same time saying that other airlines will destroy United?
As for MAXjet, let's see if they can survive long enough with their JFK to Stansted route to even start an IAD to Stansted route. They've already got competition from another startup on the JFK to Stansted route, Eos. And I really don't think that a single 102 seat 767 on an IAD to Stansted route will cause United to close shop.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djlndc

I'll miss FlyI - great flight crews!
1- Who said anything about Flying Southwest!!

2- I guess you are New to doing MRs

3- You're complaining and wont drive 3 hrs. HECK, Im driving down from NYC in Feb to fly right back to EWR on my way to IAH and to SEA, so that I can fly back the same way 40 mins after landing at SEA. I'll also do a couple of stays at a Hilton prop to/from BWI towards my 15 nights for 3 Free nights anywhere and towards Requalifying for my Diamond Status with HH. It will be a 3 day event for me and Ive got the time for it. Id drive up to Boston or as far South as IAD if it was worthwhile Mileage wise.

Next week Im driving 1 1/2 hrs to PHL cause I got a $150 fare out to LA and it was 2X that out of NY.

Ive driven up to BDL in the past for the same reason. For me at least its ALL part of the Game. I can understand the problems when its not , and especially someone flying on Biz and that its also on their own Dime rather then someone else paying for it.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA1K
flying to stansted will not affect UA's hud status out of IAD. since UA has a lot of *A connecting traffic at LHR, stansted will not affect it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.