Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PBI-IAD-SYR on Jan 6th

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
Furthermore, as for my talk about a 'deal of a lifetime' let me make something clear, I brought it up as more of a hypothetical, 'can one really do this?' Rather than a 'I am going to go do this.'
Well, if that's the case, I suggest you try extra hard in your writing classes, because the ideas you wished to convey and the impression with which you left the reader were very, very different.

Also, while all of you have ganged up on me has anyone wrote a letter to their senator or congressperson? I don't make the laws they do, if you feel the 145 isn't fair or should carry additional rules then talk to them.
Nope, because 145 on its face is just fine. We took exception with the way in which you wanted to apply it to your situation.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:41 am

You are clearly taking this too far and really if all of you want to sit here and insult me go for it this board will only be here for another few days.
Actually, this board will be around for quite awhile. There's a section for defunct airline programs, I suspect that this will be moved there.

However, if all of you can sit here and tell me you didn't even think about doing what I proposed your all lying to yourself. People on this website are always looking for the upper hand and the loophole.
I didn't think about doing what you proposed. Okay, I did when you mentioned it, and then came to the conclusion that you'd be setting yourself up for lots of misery. You see, I have plenty of experience with standby travel, and it's not something I'll do unless 1) it's free or 2) I have alternate options of getting where I'm going, including other carriers.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:48 am

This is the very same website that has entire sections dedicated to letting other people know about fair errors such as the japan hotel thing or the dc hotel where it should of been $99 but was only $9. All of those situations were clearly made in error. Previously DH had a problem with there system where people were able to book free travel, no one told them it was 'unethical' to use it.
"Fair" in this context is actually spelled "fare." I don't have much experience with other airlines, but NW specifically has an exception in their CoC that says that they don't intend to offer a fare with a "0" fare basis or "near 0" fare basis and that presumably they have the right to cancel any reservation with said fare.

The interesting thing is that Spirit was running a sale fare at $9 one way or something like that. NW would sell you a ticket LAX-DTW-DFW for $188 rt including taxes. That's over 6,000 miles. I'm at the point with my Plat status that it's actually worth flying those trips and spending a couple of thousand to get the miles for a WBC ticket to Europe. Heck, we just had a SBA-LAX-MSP-XNA rt for $164 with tax. I actually ticketed that and then subsequently cancelled for logistical reasons.

Finally, for the last two years, I have booked the Stratosphere Las Vegas for dirt cheap. Dec '04 I payed $19/night, including all taxes, and this year I paid $24/night including all taxes. Of course, both rates were actually advertised through the resaler that I bought them through, so I have a reasonable expectation that the hotel would honor them. Mistake fares? Getting a refund is all that should be expected.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:02 am

In ClimbGuy's defense

After enough bashing of ClimbGuy, I'm going to come to his defense and say that I actually believe he intended to fly his award trip on FlyI and not exercise his 145 options. In retrospect however, it just occurred to me that with furlough notices dated the 7th, that FlyI would actually need a day to get the planes somewhere, and it would make sense that the last day of revenue operations would be two days before the furlough notice.

I can't say I blame the guy for trying to use the award. If NW went belly up today, I'd be stuck with 200,000 miles -- not a ton, but definitely enough for a RuleBuster WBC ticket to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.