DH stands for Independence Air???

Old Dec 23, 05, 1:43 am
Original Poster

DH stands for Independence Air???

To most i am sure this is a stupid question but how did Independence air get the code DH? AC for Atlantic Cost or something like that would make sense, but DH seems like they had a monkey pick two letters out of a hat. On another note, I always thought DHL used the code DH, can they share a code or how does that work?

thanks,
Ian
Old Dec 23, 05, 2:08 am

Rumor has it that DH stands for "Dulles Hub".
Old Dec 23, 05, 4:29 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by foxnine
Rumor has it that DH stands for "Dulles Hub".
Yup, that's the rumor and it dates from the ACA days. In fact, I think it's more than a rumor; in training they told us that's how the code was picked.

If the OP wants to "pick on" FlyI, how about these other codes floating around the domestic US system?

OO, B6, WN, F9, XJ, 9E, ZW, to start with a few...
Old Dec 23, 05, 10:02 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
There are only so many combinations of two alphanumeric characters-- AC is Air Canada. As long as it's unique, I figure pulling them out of a hat is just as good as trying to pick a "meaningful" code--or better, being less fraught with political or marketing pitfalls.
Old Dec 23, 05, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Isn't DH also the DHL Express Code? How are they allowed to share?

Originally Posted by choster
There are only so many combinations of two alphanumeric characters-- AC is Air Canada. As long as it's unique, I figure pulling them out of a hat is just as good as trying to pick a "meaningful" code--or better, being less fraught with political or marketing pitfalls.
Old Dec 23, 05, 11:25 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
According to www.iata.org , DHL is

D0 DHL Air Limited
ES DHL International E.C.

There are other DHLs which are subsidiaries of the above and would not show as IATA members, like Z8, but I couldn't find any designated DH.

Search this Thread