Lets pretend we are not going out of biz

Old Dec 18, 05, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Lets pretend we are not going out of biz

new link to request iClub credit online
emails asking you to print your boarding pass online
special iClub offers
New Destination (San Juan)

Why are they spending money on all this crap when they aren't going to reap the benefits more than a month?
Old Dec 19, 05, 12:52 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
new link to request iClub credit online
emails asking you to print your boarding pass online
special iClub offers
New Destination (San Juan)

Why are they spending money on all this crap when they aren't going to reap the benefits more than a month?
It seems that Mesa has put in or is putting in a bid with some real teeth. If Mesa succeeds, who really knows what they have in store for FlyI? That said, no airline that I've seen go out of business (I really was too young to pay attention to Eastern and PanAm) in recent history has shut its doors with any prior notice. The writing may have been on the wall, but nobody outside the company could be reasonably sure what date the doors would close. Southeastern and National come to mind. If you're putting up a bid to sell the company, creating the impression that your company is worthless is going to fetch just that on the market -- nothing. By creating the illusion that your company has value, you stand a better chance of making more money in a sale.
Old Dec 19, 05, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

If Mesa succeeds in acquiring Independence Air, you can be 100% certain the bubble jets will disappear and the assets, routes, etc absorbed by Mesa.
Old Dec 19, 05, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
If Mesa succeeds in acquiring Independence Air, you can be 100% certain the bubble jets will disappear and the assets, routes, etc absorbed by Mesa.
Really? If the jets go bye bye, what is Mesa going to operate? What's left? Why would they absorb the routes? Most of the FlyI routes are already operated in competition with the United system. As an existing UA partner, what would Mesa have to gain by trying to enter markets already operated by the UA system? Keep in mind that when discussing "routes" that domestically, there is no such thing as "route authority," ownership, or what have you -- airlines are free to serve any city pairs they want, with any frequency or capacity they want. There are some very limited exceptions, such as slot and range restrictions at DCA and LGA, but that's about it.

Personally, I think Mesa wants to get the Airbus for cheap and have some REAL fun with those. As to what exactly Ornstein has in mind, I have no idea.
Old Dec 20, 05, 6:22 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
Originally Posted by DHAST
As to what exactly Ornstein has in mind, I have no idea.
Neither do I. The only thought that crossed my mind was operating the A319s on his proposed Hawaiian carrier. But I don't think that would be feasible, with two money losing airlines already flying those routes with the same sized planes. I seem to remember him talking about starting some airline out of Mesa with 737s awhile ago, but nothing came of it. I also don't know what they'd do with more CRJs, which no one needs.

Maybe he just wants the trucks.
Old Dec 20, 05, 7:30 am

Sorry, when I said the bubble jets would go away, I meant to say the Independence Air identity would go away. As far as the actual equipment, I haven't a clue what Mesa would do with a bunch of CRJ's.
Old Dec 20, 05, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by whlinder

Maybe he just wants the trucks.
Well, wouldn't you? Those pickup trucks with the CRJ tails in the bed are the coolest thing about IndyAir.
Old Dec 20, 05, 8:08 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
Hell yeah! I never got around to submitting my bid for a truck. We should have placed a FlyerTalk bid for one of those things.
Old Dec 21, 05, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
If Mesa buys DH I would suspect that they would return DH to its roots as a feeder carrier for the legacy carieers. Aren't there rules in the contract of United's and Delta's pilots and such about allowing regional carriers to fly jets only smaller than say 100 or 70 seats. Won't the 319s have to be dispossed of should mesa aquire DH. I don't think DH would try to launch their own carrier I think we have seen how sucsessful it is to try to make the move from regional carrier to a "real" airlines. For the sake of the employees though I hope a decision is made quickly. It has to be tough to be going to work for the last several months not knowing what was happening. I also suspect United will raise fares in IAD, because many of the current fares are unprofitable, but hopefully the fares will be set at a more resonable level.
Old Dec 21, 05, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by 777Brian
If Mesa buys DH I would suspect that they would return DH to its roots as a feeder carrier for the legacy carieers. Aren't there rules in the contract of United's and Delta's pilots and such about allowing regional carriers to fly jets only smaller than say 100 or 70 seats. Won't the 319s have to be dispossed of should mesa aquire DH. I don't think DH would try to launch their own carrier I think we have seen how sucsessful it is to try to make the move from regional carrier to a "real" airlines. For the sake of the employees though I hope a decision is made quickly. It has to be tough to be going to work for the last several months not knowing what was happening. I also suspect United will raise fares in IAD, because many of the current fares are unprofitable, but hopefully the fares will be set at a more resonable level.
Well, the question is what Mesa would do with 30+ CRJ's. Who would they operate them for? Where would they be deployed? IIRC, they're leased, not owned, so it's not as if they're getting CRJ's on the cheap and can operate them anywhere just because they got them cheap enough. Boyd suggests there's an excess of 200 RJ's flying right now, and expect them to be removed from flying. They wouldn't be deployed out of IAD -- UA already has partners serving all of the markets UA cares to serve from there. 9E and XJ over on the red tail side are on the verge of losing aircraft, so they wouldn't go there. DL has its hands full with the ASA sale, and Comair is on the verge of losing 30 or so aircraft. OO has pretty much been named the favored child for the time being on the DL side. I think the ExpressJet contract with CO becomes up for bid in the next year or so (I could be wrong) but again, where would the 50 seaters go? I figure that AA has its hands full with Eagle, and I know there is very little growth left over there. Eagle pilots are complaining about stagnant upgrade times which is a result of no growth. The only thing left that I'm unfamiliar with is how the HP/US thing is working out.

The "rules" you are talking about is called a scope clause, which has been negotiated by the respective pilots' unions. Expect those to be dead or a very contentious negotiation item in the BK restructuring contracts.

IMHO, the ONLY thing left of interest at DH are the Airbusses. As to what they'd do with them, who knows. But the CRJ is pretty much worthless.
Old Dec 22, 05, 2:58 am

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Originally Posted by 777Brian
Mesa already operates its own branded carrier Mesa Airlines. I saw their ticket counter in ABQ last week.
Old Dec 22, 05, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by DHAST
IMHO, the ONLY thing left of interest at DH are the Airbusses. As to what they'd do with them, who knows. But the CRJ is pretty much worthless.
Don't forget the concourse at IAD -- I'm sure UA would love to get it back.
Old Dec 22, 05, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
That said, no airline that I've seen go out of business in recent history has shut its doors with any prior notice.
Jetsgo suddenly quit. People were stranded across two countries.

On March 11, 2005, Jetsgo abruptly announced that it had ceased operations. The action stranded hundreds of passengers in airports and at their travel destinations with no way home, the defunct airline having made no arrangements with other carriers to handle their passengers.
Old Dec 22, 05, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz
Jetsgo suddenly quit. People were stranded across two countries.
That's exactly what I'm talking about! When airlines go out of business, you don't exactly get any warning.
Old Jan 10, 06, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Don't forget the concourse at IAD -- I'm sure UA would love to get it back.

The Airbus's are on their way to Mexico City to get repainted... . A good inside source told me yesterday. Don't know why they are going there but I would assume that some company has brought them..

Search this Thread