Competition to expand service at IAD

Old Nov 18, 05, 7:05 am
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Competition to expand service at IAD

AirTran is going to start service on a few "bread and butter" Indy routes.

2 daily IAD-MCO starting Jan. 4
4 daily IAD-BOS starting Feb. 15
Old Nov 18, 05, 7:07 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
jetBlue is beating FL to the punch, starting IAD-BOS on Jan 17th with Indy-esque $70 RT fares.
Old Nov 18, 05, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Oh baby.. hopefully great for us IAD-BOS-IAD UA flyers!
Old Nov 18, 05, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Oh baby.. hopefully great for us IAD-BOS-IAD UA flyers!
Yeah I would expect UA to match that $25 each way jetBlue fare later today.
Old Nov 18, 05, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by whlinder
Yeah I would expect UA to match that $25 each way jetBlue fare later today.
Absolutely fantastic. I need to fly BOS-IAD about 12 times in a row next year.. this will take some of the bite off! It's for my business but anything I save on travel costs goes to me!
Old Nov 18, 05, 7:18 am

Well it is only good from when the start service until the middle of February, unfortunately.
http://www.jetblue.com/learnmore/pre...asp?newsId=369
Old Nov 18, 05, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1M, WN AList+
Just like the old days - remember IAD used to be a focus city for FL in the old ValueJet days. They continued to ramp their service down following the Everglades disaster, and then when the entity known as MetroJet set up a hub at IAD they went down to just ATL flights.
Old Nov 24, 05, 10:36 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
UA NOT Matching B6 At All $138.30 Roundtrip

I priced a ticket BOS to IAD out Tue Jan 17, and back about a week later on UA and it came out to $138.40 not even close to JetBlue's $70 roundtrip.

While I fly UA on this route, I don't think I will pay double for the priv, and I think I will be booking 3-4 with JetBlue especially during the launch period.

I find it interesting UA is not matching JetBlue at all, because historically this year they would match FlyI's fares. There were several instances when UA had approx $30-$39 one-way fares in this market to match FLYI's sales. Another thing UA has done is largely take S, L, and T booking codes out of available inventory. In other words, they publish S, L, or T fares in BOS to IAD, but they have taken those booking codes out of available inventory unless you are booking a connecting flight tand then maybe like if you searched for BOS to MCO you could get an L seat BOS to IAD, but in order to do it that way you would need access to a travel agency or airline CRS. Boy I miss that access....I was a travel agent in college.
Old Nov 24, 05, 10:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jetsetter
I priced a ticket BOS to IAD out Tue Jan 17, and back about a week later on UA and it came out to $138.40 not even close to JetBlue's $70 roundtrip.

While I fly UA on this route, I don't think I will pay double for the priv, and I think I will be booking 3-4 with JetBlue especially during the launch period.

I find it interesting UA is not matching JetBlue at all, because historically this year they would match FlyI's fares. There were several instances when UA had approx $30-$39 one-way fares in this market to match FLYI's sales. Another thing UA has done is largely take S, L, and T booking codes out of available inventory. In other words, they publish S, L, or T fares in BOS to IAD, but they have taken those booking codes out of available inventory unless you are booking a connecting flight tand then maybe like if you searched for BOS to MCO you could get an L seat BOS to IAD, but in order to do it that way you would need access to a travel agency or airline CRS. Boy I miss that access....I was a travel agent in college.
I worked for AA and miss the detailed availability information!

However, most airlines have implemented "married" connections and no longer allow you to book the connection and cancel the second leg.
Old Nov 25, 05, 1:42 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
How Do They Stop You

formeraa,
How technically do the airlines stop agents from booking a buried connection. Let's say you display an availability from BOS to MCO and even sell both the BOS IAD and IAD MCO segments in let's say L booking code. And then you just cancel all the MCO segments out of the PNR, so you juet have the BOS IAD segments in L. How do they stop this? Just wondering if they have implimented some kind of software/CRS hack to stop the practice. When I worked in the business, this was frowned upon, but there was technically nothing they could do to stop you from doing it. There was always the threat of debit memos (this is a term used when an airline charges an agency fare difference due to an agency error) but they would always threaten debit memos for any little thing so I don't know that this was much of a factor or real threat. There were not too many times when this buried fare thing worked, but occasionally you could get a particular booking code seat this way.

I wonder if I could walk in to an agency and have them do this ?
Old Nov 25, 05, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
How you possible does for Valujet with focus city at IAD long time ago and it was 10 years ago, am I correct? Which these routes flown out from IAD? Can you please give me specific information for Valujet at IAD? I think exactly flying out from IAD-ATL, MCO or something like that. I need to find out for information on Valujet. Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 05, 5:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jetsetter
formeraa,
How technically do the airlines stop agents from booking a buried connection. Let's say you display an availability from BOS to MCO and even sell both the BOS IAD and IAD MCO segments in let's say L booking code. And then you just cancel all the MCO segments out of the PNR, so you juet have the BOS IAD segments in L. How do they stop this? Just wondering if they have implimented some kind of software/CRS hack to stop the practice. When I worked in the business, this was frowned upon, but there was technically nothing they could do to stop you from doing it. There was always the threat of debit memos (this is a term used when an airline charges an agency fare difference due to an agency error) but they would always threaten debit memos for any little thing so I don't know that this was much of a factor or real threat. There were not too many times when this buried fare thing worked, but occasionally you could get a particular booking code seat this way.
After I left AA in the late 90's, I also used this trick several times when you could book individual segments on-line. One time, a CO agent actually did it for me (she didn't exactly say she was doing it, but I understood what she was doing).

My memory is a bit fuzzy at this point. However, I believe that the res systems generally no longer allow you to cancel part of a "married" connection (or at least they re-calculate availability if a segment is cancelled). I am not necessarily saying that it absolutely can't be done, but they have made it MUCH harder.

Search this Thread