FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Independence Air iClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/independence-air-iclub-587/)
-   -   Flying IAD to SFO on Independence- what if flight is cancelled? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/independence-air-iclub/491058-flying-iad-sfo-independence-what-if-flight-cancelled.html)

greenery Nov 8, 2005 7:42 am

Flying IAD to SFO on Independence- what if flight is cancelled?

I am scheduled to fly on Independence Air on Sunday November 13th. It arrives in SFO at 10:30 pm. I have an important meeting on Monday, in the afternoon, in San Francisco. Independence only has one flight a day on that route. What if the flight is cancelled? Will Independence Air put me on another airlines flight either that evening or early the next day? Do they have arrangements with other airlines? Waiting until Monday evening, for the next scheduled Independence Air flight, would be a waste of my time- the meeting will already have occured.

Anyone been on an cancelled flight on Independence Air and transferred to another airline?

DH Employee Nov 8, 2005 8:15 am

Originally Posted by greenery
I am scheduled to fly on Independence Air on Sunday November 13th. It arrives in SFO at 10:30 pm. I have an important meeting on Monday, in the afternoon, in San Francisco. Independence only has one flight a day on that route. What if the flight is cancelled? Will Independence Air put me on another airlines flight either that evening or early the next day? Do they have arrangements with other airlines? Waiting until Monday evening, for the next scheduled Independence Air flight, would be a waste of my time- the meeting will already have occured.

Anyone been on an cancelled flight on Independence Air and transferred to another airline?

Independence does not have any interline agreements so if for some odd reason your flight was cancelled you would have to wait for the next Independence Air flight. We very rarely ever cancel flights to the West Coast so you should be safe.

FWAAA Nov 8, 2005 9:56 am

I am scheduled to fly on Independence Air on Sunday November 13th. It arrives in SFO at 10:30 pm. I have an important meeting on Monday, in the afternoon, in San Francisco.

If the meeting is that important, I'd make alternate plans.

MileageAddict Nov 8, 2005 12:05 pm

This is one of the reasons (lack of a viable frequent flyer program being another) why I never flew Indy.

Taking the kids to Florida for the weekend is one thing but relying on an airline with no interline agreement when you absolutely have to be somewhere is asking for trouble. I don't fly nearly as often as some of the hardcore road warriors on FT yet I still manage to get rerouted on another airline once or twice a year.

AADC10 Nov 9, 2005 10:33 am

If Independence Air just cancels the flight, then you would be in trouble, but as the FlyI employee says, they rarely cancel a transcon flight. If they just plain shut down, then UA or somebody would have to honor the ticket, assuming they have any seats remaining.

Unless your meeting is near SFO you could take JetBlue to OAK which is probably better than Independence Air anyway. From OAK you have to take the AirBART bus to BART but other than that it is only slightly farther from the city.

DHAST Nov 10, 2005 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
This is one of the reasons (lack of a viable frequent flyer program being another) why I never flew Indy.

Taking the kids to Florida for the weekend is one thing but relying on an airline with no interline agreement when you absolutely have to be somewhere is asking for trouble. I don't fly nearly as often as some of the hardcore road warriors on FT yet I still manage to get rerouted on another airline once or twice a year.

Hey Dave, fess up and say you don't fly them because they wouldn't give you a job :)

I'm with you though. I'm not going to say that interline programs and FF programs go hand in hand, but I believe a strong carrier has both. I've actually had a good track record this year; all of my offline travel has been due to voluntary bumps. If you don't interline, you better have a very good flight schedule.

GoingAway Nov 11, 2005 6:31 am

Originally Posted by AADC10
If Independenforce Air just cancels the flight, then you would be in trouble, but as the FlyI employee says, they rarely cancel a transcon flight. If they just plain shut down, then UA or somebody would have to honor the ticket, assuming they have any seats remaining.

I thought the law requiring other carriers to honor the ticket with a minimal fee as a standby passenger expired and was not renewed. If that's the case, you are left with nothing if FlyI goes *poof*. Can anyone confirm the status of that statute?

Thanks.

Rexly Nov 13, 2005 12:44 am

I had a flight on Oct. 18th that was cancelled SFO to CAE. Indy was supposed to cancel their day time SFO flight at the end of the month (I thought) except mine , which they cancelled early. I was rebooked for the red eye flight. I ended up cancelling and taking a United flight as the red eye didn't work for me.

They may not cancel all the IAD-SFO flights but 1 , well , I hope not for your sake. Probably not.

vatraveler Nov 13, 2005 4:56 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I thought the law requiring other carriers to honor the ticket with a minimal fee as a standby passenger expired and was not renewed. If that's the case, you are left with nothing if FlyI goes *poof*. Can anyone confirm the status of that statute?

Thanks.

It was renewed.

Rexly Nov 13, 2005 9:49 am

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Originally Posted by GoingAway

Thanks.

>It was renewed.
__________________.

Can anyone say what the fees are probably going to be if this happened , I've never had to deal with this kind of problem and would be curious to hear someone elses real life experience with it.
Thanks

greenery Nov 14, 2005 11:51 am

FROM THE OP:

The Independence Air flight that I was so nervous about (IAD to SFO) did go out as scheduled yesterday. Actually it was fairly comfortable with 33 inches of leg room (seat pitch). 2 inches more than United's non stop flight. Though with United if the flight was cancelled they would schedule me on the next flight (2 hours later), not 24 hours later (Independence Air has only one flight a day IAD to SFO)

Their flight attendents are pretty and young. Not the case with United Coast to Coasts.