Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Chapter 11 confirmed for Independence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chapter 11 confirmed for Independence

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:34 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by SealBeach
I assume by advance warning you mean you'll know to book other tickets on Jan 7 if FlyI dies on Jan 6 and you're not flying until Jan 24 or something. I think you're mistaken if you believe FlyI will telegraph what day they plan on pulling the plug; the first people to know will be the ones who show up at the airport and find that "See Agent" is listed on the monitor as the status for all FlyI flights.
Ya ya ya...

...I know there is a risk they'll die on Jan 6th. I might get some refundable tickets on UA if I get the willies. But if they fold on Jan 5th, 4th, or 3rd, I've still got time to rebook on another airline.

You seem to believe that I don't know how to manage risk or that I've never been left holding the bag by an airline.

I could tell you the times that I've had a paid ticket on a flight and been told I couldn't board because we oversold/cancelled flight/couldn't find a pilot/etc. At least I have an idea of the risk I'm assuming at this stage of things. In my mind, my ticket wont be worthless for my purposes unless the company folds the day of or immediately before.

If it folds the day after, I'm still good. At the prices I booked these flights, I'd be a fool to try and purchase some comparable flights on UA or another carrier. If I do anything at all, I'd get fully refundable fares and even those are ridiculous.

UA is charging $893 for a refundable fare from IAD-BOS. Tell me how that compares to the $98 I paid for the same nonrefundable flight on DH.

If it comes right down to it and DH folds before I get to finish up my flights, I might just well take the train.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:51 pm

you don't get it

Let's hope more than a few FlyI employees bury the hatchet or swallow their pride as part of their "plan B" and apply for jobs with the existing UX carriers at IAD. We could sure use some good experienced people out at the G gates who bring a customer-first attitude and some pride in a job well done instead of the current crop of UX couldn't-care-less clockwatchers.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:36 pm

you don't get it

Let's hope more than a few FlyI employees bury the hatchet or swallow their pride as part of their "plan B" and apply for jobs with the existing UX carriers at IAD. We could sure use some good experienced people out at the G gates who bring a customer-first attitude and some pride in a job well done instead of the current crop of UX couldn't-care-less clockwatchers.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:02 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mid
UA is charging $893 for a refundable fare from IAD-BOS. Tell me how that compares to the $98 I paid for the same nonrefundable flight on DH.
Um, it doesn't really compare; the high UA fare is refundable, the cheap DH fare is not.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:14 am

Of course, the WN refundable fare BWI-BDL/MHT is around $100 OW IIRC.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1K
Independence Air hasn't released financial results for the July-to-September period, but in the quarter before that it lost $95.8 million, marking the fifth straight quarter of losses.

When announcing those results in August, it disclosed that it had just $66 million in cash on hand.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: UA1K
DH has problems...and i feel bad for their employees. i've never flown DH, and i never will. mainly because i am loyal to UA and i love their product (3-class aircraft domestically). i've heard great things about DH, but it's not for me. i to places DH doesn't fly.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:43 am
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by DHAST
Um, it doesn't really compare; the high UA fare is refundable, the cheap DH fare is not.
My point was that I'm not going to book a RT refundable fare to BOS on the chance that DH won't fly on Jan 10th or 11th. If they croak that day and I'm left in the lurch, I'll book a walkup fare and get there.

If they croak earlier, I've still got time to book a nonrefundable. In either case, it'll be WAY less than the nonrefundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.