Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Independence Air to end SFO service on 11/28/05

Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

When fledgling low-cost carrier Independence Air started flying out of San Francisco International Airport in May, the occasion was marked with cake and speeches.

On Friday, the struggling airline quietly announced plans to cease flying from SFO in two months, blaming high jet fuel prices.

The 2-year-old carrier based in Dulles, Va., will continue to fly twice a day from SFO to Washington Dulles International Airport through the end of October, reduce service on the route to once a day in November, and end it altogether on Nov. 28, airline spokesman Rick DeLisi said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG8QF0RN31.DTL
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by jaguar
When fledgling low-cost carrier Independence Air started flying out of San Francisco International Airport in May, the occasion was marked with cake and speeches.

On Friday, the struggling airline quietly announced plans to cease flying from SFO in two months, blaming high jet fuel prices.

The 2-year-old carrier based in Dulles, Va., will continue to fly twice a day from SFO to Washington Dulles International Airport through the end of October, reduce service on the route to once a day in November, and end it altogether on Nov. 28, airline spokesman Rick DeLisi said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG8QF0RN31.DTL

The Chronicle did not get this one correct.

What will happen is as follows:

SFO will continue as a daily service until 30 October. If you check the schedule, there are some dates in late October that will only be one round. After that, it will always be a one round trip service, but ONLY on ODD dates in November. Flight 240 will become Flight 238, departing at 19:30 instead of the current time of 17:10. Flight 243 will remain the same returning as a red-eye 20 minutes later than now at 23:20. The exceptions to the odd dates rule are 6, 10, 22 & 28 November, which will all have one round trip. 28 November is also the last day of service.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
High Fuel Costs?

Seemingly, the Airbus is much more fuel efficient than the CRJ and longer trips more efficient than shorter trips. I suspect that they just didn't get the loads that they were so confidently hoping and when UA matched them on price - well there was just no future continuing to serve SFO.

JetBlue came in and is competing with UA on the IAD-OAK route. From what I read, JetBlue offers a far superior to Independence. UA has a much more massive feeder system, lounges, *Alliance, First Class etc. that really made Independence no match.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
I agree with your assesment.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
Seemingly, the Airbus is much more fuel efficient than the CRJ and longer trips more efficient than shorter trips. I suspect that they just didn't get the loads that they were so confidently hoping and when UA matched them on price - well there was just no future continuing to serve SFO.

JetBlue came in and is competing with UA on the IAD-OAK route. From what I read, JetBlue offers a far superior to Independence. UA has a much more massive feeder system, lounges, *Alliance, First Class etc. that really made Independence no match.
Actually, this assessment is not quite accurate according to the data that I have seen. West Coast loads have been quite high throughout the summer months. The fuel really is the biggest factor on these routes (not the case in many of the Eastern markets).

Take a look at the fares and you can see what is going on. It is extremely difficult with all the competition in the West Coast markets (note; the things you mention above) to get pax to pay the higher fares on DH. However, more pax pay the higher fares in the East. Even with the A319s, I think it would take a very high average fare to even get close to covering costs. So I think you are right about matching and the pains of competition (their added benefits). Yet, this has dragged down the revenue, not the LF.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
How crowded on Sunday mornings flights to SFO

What have the October loads been like for the Sunday morning flights to SFO? Anyone know?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.