Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Juan it is!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Would something like $169 be enought to make it profitable? I mean we know that other airlines charge $200, but do we know if they actually make $$$$ on this route?

Originally Posted by Cohiba
Interesting that there have been a couple posts along this line. The move IS a smart business move. However, instead of just offering rhetoric, let's look at some facts.

DH is currently achieving a paltry average fare on West Coast routes, barely over $100 for 5.5 to 6 hours of flight time and fuel burn. The SJU run will clock in at around 3:45 of flight time / fuel burn. Is anyone else aware of the average fare for the WAS-SJU market? It is around $200.

Now, I know the naysayers will chime in with the old rhyme that DH will only dilute this market and knock down the average fare. However, the lowest fare available at 11 weeks out is $169 according to flyi.com. The logic suggests that these fares will sell and SJU will be a profitable market.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Cohiba
Now, I know the naysayers will chime in with the old rhyme that DH will only dilute this market and knock down the average fare. However, the lowest fare available at 11 weeks out is $169 according to flyi.com. The logic suggests that these fares will sell and SJU will be a profitable market.
I'm sure that I am considered one of those 'naysayers'. Anyway, DH has 5 fares in the market right now, (OW) $139, $169, $199, $249, and $399. Maybe the $139s are sold out or they haven't been allocated inventory.
The real question is how many $399 fares will be sold. jetBlue's highest fare JFK-SJU is $349...
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:44 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Im also one of the naysayers, I dont work for a competing airline and I live in the IAD market. I don't let airline loyalty, my own travel agenda or personal financial gain cloud my opinion of Independence Air. To me, it is strictly business.

It doesn't matter if DH has figured out what routes have robust RASM. The bottom line is they have a poor leadership and a defective business plan that leaves absolutely no room for errors and most likely, no room for financial recovery.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
It doesn't matter if DH has figured out what routes have robust RASM. The bottom line is they have a poor leadership and a defective business plan that leaves absolutely no room for errors and most likely, no room for financial recovery.
Though you do have to admin they have an uncanny ability to stay out of bankruptcy. They have managed to pull cash and structural modifications out of a hat to survive months after a bankruptcy seemed like the only option.

I get the feeling that the looked and BK options, and discovered that Ch. 11 wasn't a viable option. So, they decided to work as best they can to work out their own survival. Will they succeed? We will see. If they would have restructured a year ago and cut back their RJ service, and actually taken deliveries of the the Airbus jets, they may be teatering on the edge of profitability now. However, now it may take a near lawless execution to make it. (And they have to survive a couple of lean travel months before they make it to the holiday season.)
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by oopsz
um, remember when panam and eastern both started caribbean service?

you betcha! airlines in desperation think cruise/vacation traffic is easy money. when will they learn?

I may be wrong - but I thought that Pan Am and Eastern were in the central/south america and the caribbean LONG LONG LONG before they had problems (or evil leadership like Frank Lorenzo at EA) - These routes were the ones that were being SOLD at the end .....
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:11 am
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Im also one of the naysayers, I dont work for a competing airline and I live in the IAD market. I don't let airline loyalty, my own travel agenda or personal financial gain cloud my opinion of Independence Air. To me, it is strictly business.

What I'm wondering is how many more times I'm going to be subjected to your unsolicited opinions.

I don't think the point of this thread is to opine about the prospects of DH's business plans. Yet that seems to be all you ever care to contribute to the discussion.

If someone had asked the question of whether or not DH has a good business plan, good leadership, or a healthy financial outlook, I'm sure that the answers would be forthcoming. SO why do you keep banging that drum when no one else is playing along?
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:38 pm

Trying to get back on topic...

To answer a couple questions. Yes, an average fare of $200 is significantly profitable in this market, unless of course you have very high unit costs (not the case with the A319) and/or you don't get anyone on the planes. Others may disagree, but I am fairly certain the latter also will not happen.

Right, the $139 is a lower listed fare, but it has not been sold yet. Notice that AA has a lowest listed fare of $129 so in fact, DH is entering the market trying to push the price up. You can put some of those $139s out there if necessary and still keep the revenue high. DH does not necessarily need to sell many $399 fares. A bunch of $249 fares will do quite nicely, though of course $399 is better.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by oopsz
um, remember when panam and eastern both started caribbean service?

you betcha! airlines in desperation think cruise/vacation traffic is easy money. when will they learn?
Well, in Pan Am and Eastern's days, SJU wasn't homeporting multiple 3000 passenger ships either.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Originally Posted by DanJ
SJU is a popular cruise port with some large ships based there, and airfare there is pretty high. Probably a good move if they can keep themselves in business long enough.
The problem with filling up only on cruise traffic is that most cruises start/end on either Saturday or Sunday; leaving 5 days of the week with seats that need to be filled.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:05 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
While more focused on the weekends, the SJU cruise traffic seems to be spread out more than just Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is definately a big day, which is probably why a few airlines do a variety of once a week to SJU on Saturday.

I'm not saying that's going to solve all the problems, but cruise traffic should be enough to get some number of passengers on the plane most Fr/Sa/Su/Mo based on the December cruise schedule for SJU.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by mid
I doubt that they would undertake the effort required to start this service if they didn't at least think they had a good chance of making it work.

On a side note: I'm more than a little disturbed by the efforts of some posters to take every single bit of news regarding DH and add in "if they stay in business long enough."

I can't help but notice that most of these posts come from locations like Chicago, IL and from people who have some affiliation/allegiance to a competing airline. The majority of those posts have no informative value other than to bash DH.

I would hope that people would only post when they can ADD to a discussion rather than express their prejudices. I fly UA and I fly DH. I've never felt the need to go into the UA forum and deride their chances for survival on a continuous basis.

I'm not a fan of the thread-crappers here and I hope they consider their aims the next time they post.
No bias on this one - if United launched $29-99 OW systemwide fare sales like clockwork for two years straight, I'd question their viability too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.