Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Independence Air discontinues service to 5 airports beginning November 1st

Old Sep 24, 05, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

Just read a press release;

Independence Air will stop service in Louisville, Indianapolis, J-F-K International, Newburg New York, and Cleveland starting November 1.
Old Sep 24, 05, 9:14 am

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by jaguar

Independence Air will stop service in Louisville, Indianapolis, J-F-K International, Newburg New York, and Cleveland starting November 1.
They are also dropping SFO and SEA Nov. 30, while shifting their JFK flights to LGA with two daily 319's. Every airport execpt CRW will lose at least one frequency as well. They are supposedly starting SJU as well.

I don't get it?
Old Sep 24, 05, 9:50 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
My guess is that they are on the brink of bankruptcy and will probably be returning some planes. From all reports they will go out of business by the end of the year.
Old Sep 24, 05, 11:07 am
Original Poster

It's a shame to see them go out of business because they provide low fares and excellent service.
Old Sep 24, 05, 4:39 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by jaguar

Where did you see this press release? There doesn't appear to be anything on the wire services.
Old Sep 24, 05, 5:01 pm

Just did an online booking attempt for both CLE-IAD and JFK-IAD and it comes up with nothing after Oct 30.
Old Sep 24, 05, 5:46 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by DanJ
Just did an online booking attempt for both CLE-IAD and JFK-IAD and it comes up with nothing after Oct 30.
That could be because they haven't updated the schedules for those months yet. I've never been able to book more than a month or two in advance.
Old Sep 24, 05, 6:47 pm

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
The employee newsletter thursday confirmed what jaguar and prhs1989 posted. I was surprised that they didn't send out a press release immediately after. My guess was that you will see a press release about the city changes next week tacked onto a piece of bigger news.
Old Sep 24, 05, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
No, December schedules are loaded for sure..
Old Sep 24, 05, 7:02 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by mid
That could be because they haven't updated the schedules for those months yet. I've never been able to book more than a month or two in advance.
There was an article as well in the Tampa newspaper. (I am not sure which one.) This is factual however, no speculation. This has been confirmed by insider people as well.
Old Sep 24, 05, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Here's a local news article explaining the changes;

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Independence Air pulls out of Stewart Airport

Independence Air is leaving Stewart Airport. The airline, which operates daily flights to its Washington-Dulles hub, announced yesterday that it would end its service to the Hudson Valley effective November 1.

Virtually since Atlantic Coast Airways began flying as Independence Air a year ago, it ran into financial trouble. Now, officials announced it would stop service to Newburgh as well as Louisville, Indianapolis, Cleveland and John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/I-...ut-24Sep05.htm
Old Sep 25, 05, 2:29 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
JFK's a no brainer, and about time they pull out. Landing fees during peak hours are excessive, and the only traffic they got as a UAX carrier was international connections... either coming off IAD from overseas (yes, there was a bunch like that) or the obvious, connecting in JFK for/from the overseas portion. With no codeshares at JFK, and little O/D traffic, it makes sense to discontinue.
Old Sep 25, 05, 11:47 am

Great....just great!!

This is horrible news for CLE and for me specifically. I have been holding on to a flight certificate for a few months waiting to book a trip to LAS for February, only to find out this news today. Now what??
Old Sep 25, 05, 1:55 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, DL Silver, IHG Platinum
Really a shame about Stewart. That's a terrific little airport, and one would think Independence could have done pretty well there.

One problem Indy has is that you can't book it via IBM's online travel reservation system due to a technical problem between Indy's system and Galileo, from what I've heard. So the IBM travelers to/from that airport -- and there are lots, because of some big IBM plants at Poughkeepsie and East Fishkill -- have to jump through hoops to book Indy. Which means many of them don't. That alone could have made the difference.

Stewart has taken a couple blows lately. Southeast also served Stewart.
Old Sep 25, 05, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, MR LT Plat Prem, HY Globalist
Originally Posted by sipples
Stewart has taken a couple blows lately. Southeast also served Stewart.
Stewart also lost Delta Connection to Cincinnati a few weeks back.

Search this Thread