A credit I can't use

Old Aug 26, 05, 1:07 pm
av1
Original Poster

A credit I can't use

Hi -

I looked this up on the FAQ and found nothing, so if this is an improper post, I am really sorry. My sister was supposed to get married in April - the wedding was cancelled (as were my tickets to the wedding location) in February of this year. I will not use this credit before it expires - $315, expiring Feb 9, 2006. Any suggestions? I am basically willing to sell them to the highest bidder if I can't use them any other way.

thanks.
Old Aug 26, 05, 1:26 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
If the credit is transferable, then maybe you'll have somebody interested here, but you're probably better off with eBay.

If the credit is not transferable, you may be out of luck, or you may be able to call and get the credit extended. Certainly can't hurt to try.
Old Aug 26, 05, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
If it was a non-refundable fare which I assume it is since you got a credit instead of a refund then is is not transferrable. You and only you are allowed to travel on that credit. You cannot even use that credit to buy a seat for say your wife.
Old Aug 26, 05, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by uva185
If it was a non-refundable fare which I assume it is since you got a credit instead of a refund then is is not transferrable. You and only you are allowed to travel on that credit. You cannot even use that credit to buy a seat for say your wife.

Actually, it appears as though you can use it to buy a ticket for anyone you want. What you do is login to your iClub account. Then, go to book the ticket. When you get to the passenger screen input the name of the person you are buying the ticket for (your name and iClub number should be there already, change the name and erase the iClub number). Under the purchased by stuff leave your name and info there. When you go to the next page it gives you the option of applying the credit in your account to this purchase. This is as far as I went because I did not want to actually book a flight, but it appears that it is possible...
Old Aug 27, 05, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by shotime1
Actually, it appears as though you can use it to buy a ticket for anyone you want. What you do is login to your iClub account. Then, go to book the ticket. When you get to the passenger screen input the name of the person you are buying the ticket for (your name and iClub number should be there already, change the name and erase the iClub number). Under the purchased by stuff leave your name and info there. When you go to the next page it gives you the option of applying the credit in your account to this purchase. This is as far as I went because I did not want to actually book a flight, but it appears that it is possible...
Wow, thats great. I wish other airlines would let you do that.
Old Aug 29, 05, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by uva185
Wow, thats great. I wish other airlines would let you do that.
Southwest also lets you use credits for nonrefundable flights within a year (to book tickets for anyone.) Most other airlines also let you do this to some extent - though it is pretty much useless. (Usually, before the flight leaves, you must pay $100 to move the flight in to the future, then pay $100 to later settle on the date you want to fly.) Back in the days when fares were hire, change fees were lower, and there was no requirement to make changes before flights, this was quite common. Nowdays, it seems only a few airlines make it worthwhile.
Old Aug 29, 05, 9:41 am
av1
Original Poster

It doesn't say anything about the credit being nontransferrable on my cancellation info. Maybe I'll call Independence Air to see if I can get it extended..it's a shame, I was going to use it for my husband and I to fly to see my parents at Thanksgiving...but the days we wanted to travel, the flights are so expensive that it didn't make sense to use the credit - we actually saved money by booking with another carrier on a nonstop flight and eating the $300 + (we had already paid the $25 each cancellation fee for the first flight). Of course, you can't blame I Air for trying to cash in on busy travel days. I just hate to lose the money completely. Maybe I'll try to sell it on EBay - or give it to one of my sisters.

Search this Thread