FlyI ripped in NY Times column

Old Aug 16, 05, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
FlyI ripped in NY Times column

You can read the sordid details here.
Old Aug 16, 05, 10:06 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Sounded like someone was a bit grumpy in the first place. Comeon, 11 movies and you don't like ANY of them?
Old Aug 16, 05, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
As much as I enjoy Joe Sharky his column didn't say anything that regular flyers of DH have not yet experienced.

fwf- The movies this month do suck. From the website->

King’s Ransom
• Monster-in-Law
• Miss Congeniality 2
• Matchstick Men
• A Lot Like Love
• The Pacifier
• Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
• Ice Princess
• There’s Something About Mary (edited)
• Minority Report
• Fever Pitch
• The Sandlot 2
Old Aug 16, 05, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Watching "There's Something About Mary" edited is probably as good as watching the TV version of The Blues Brothers.

Heck, there are at least 2 movies I'd watch on the list. Hollywood has put a lot of tripe out lately.
Old Aug 16, 05, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
I'm sorry, but its not a quarter mile while between the farthest CRJ gate and the farthest A319 gate at IAD. Not even close.

And more than a few people might argue about Continental keeping its fares "competitively low," seeing how that is predicated on COMPETITION.
Old Aug 16, 05, 11:49 am
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by justageek
You can read the sordid details here.
Sounds like someone is trying to get UGS without all the BIS miles or revenue.

Seriously though: I know the FlyI guy. He's a friend of mine and I was there taping his performance at the DC Improv's open-mic night.

FWIW, I'd like to see Mr. Sharky get up on stage and try to get some laughs. It ain't easy, I'll tell you that. Any person who has ever tried stand-up comedy has a whole different perspective on the whole profession. They also keep their mouth shut when someone bombs. Because it happens when you don't have a team of writers and a studio audience. A lot. A whole bunch. In fact, probably the first year that you are getting started, you'll bomb almost continuously. Dave is a great guy and he didn't deserve the cheap shot.

His comments are really juvenile otherwise. I mean, complaining about being kept in the dark at the gate? Or about flying a teeny tiny little plane? Or the meager snacks?

Yeesh. How come he isn't talking about Delta? Or United? Or the impending strike at Northwest? Remember the US Airways baggage fiasco? I sure do. Ask me if I'd fly US airways for FREE.

At a minimum, the FlyI folks are working hard. They are giving it their all. And I TOTALLY appreciate that.
Old Aug 16, 05, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by MFLetou
I'm sorry, but its not a quarter mile while between the farthest CRJ gate and the farthest A319 gate at IAD. Not even close.
Is this true if it's between the farthest A gates and that new B gate all the way down by DL across from the bar? I took off from there a week or two ago (it was a VERY cheap ticket) ... that is a long haul from the escalators, much less the far end of Terminal A.
Old Aug 16, 05, 10:23 pm

what's the point?

I, too, read Joe Sharkey's article today, and quite frankly, didn't get the point. It was handed to me by a passenger on the flight I was working -- factual with most of the history and statistics (rare for aviation reporting) but cyncially absurd in reader interest and content. What was the point? Maybe I should have checked the manifest to see if Mr. Sharkey was touting his absurd opinions to a very hardworking, loyal, caring employee . . .

Last edited by lv2bagl; Aug 16, 05 at 10:40 pm
Old Aug 17, 05, 12:01 am

But none of this had occurred to me two weeks ago when I booked a one-way flight on Independence Air from Newark to Los Angeles. Normally, when I fly to Los Angeles, I fly Continental Airlines, which keeps its transcontinental fares competitively low out of its Newark hub
What BS; CO minimum published fare is $144 (14 AP) while the YB is $709, their Y is $1527 and full F is $2300.
Old Aug 17, 05, 6:10 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
Mr. Sharkey has posted on Flyertalk before, in case anyone is interested...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=36
Old Aug 17, 05, 7:25 am

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by lv2bagl
I, too, read Joe Sharkey's article today, and quite frankly, didn't get the point. It was handed to me by a passenger on the flight I was working -- factual with most of the history and statistics (rare for aviation reporting) but cyncially absurd in reader interest and content. What was the point? Maybe I should have checked the manifest to see if Mr. Sharkey was touting his absurd opinions to a very hardworking, loyal, caring employee . . .
I have to agree. If this was a trip "report" like he said, it wasn't very good by anyone's standards, much less a person who writes newspaper articles for a living. Maybe he should have titled his article "Who Reports on Coast to Coast Flights and Isn't Very Interesting?".
Old Aug 17, 05, 4:11 pm

Programs: iclub
Q: What Flies Coast to Coast and Isn't Very Funny?

A: Joe Sharkey
Old Aug 17, 05, 4:17 pm
dawei

I thought his article was great and spot on.

Also it sounds like at least one person miss read it -- the way I saw it he was complementing FlyI Guy saying he had a better chance as a comedian then working for FLYi.

Old Aug 17, 05, 10:11 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Reading Comprehension 101

Originally Posted by dawei

I thought his article was great and spot on.

Also it sounds like at least one person miss read it -- the way I saw it he was complementing FlyI Guy saying he had a better chance as a comedian then working for FLYi.
Yeah yeah yeah....I got the joke the first time I read it. If I had a dollar every time someone said that to me when I was trying comedy.....
.....I wouldn't need to try comedy to get rich.

It still sucked.

Frankly, I thought his trip report was totally craptastic. I've flown Indy Air now a total of (2) two times round-trip and I have to say that each flight was in every way as uneventful and normal as any Ted/United Express flight ever was.

That is...BOring. Which is exactly as I like it.

The in-flight entertainment method was at least innovative. I got to watch a few movies that I hadn't had a chance to catch in the theatre or on DVD so.....it was nice to watch with my personal headphones, etc.

People seem to be forgetting that it will be much easier for FlyI to get their act together than United. It's been, what, two years in BK11 now? How about a world where United doesn't exist and LCCs rule the day?

:Shudder: All those MILES! My status!

Whateva!
Old Aug 18, 05, 5:23 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
Originally Posted by mid
People seem to be forgetting that it will be much easier for FlyI to get their act together than United. It's been, what, two years in BK11 now?

Are you suggesting that if FlyI files for bankruptcy they will have a much better chance of reorganizing and becoming profitable than UA has of emerging and becoming profitable?

Search this Thread