FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Independence Air iClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/independence-air-iclub-587/)
-   -   500 point Bonus -- Unfair! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/independence-air-iclub/455231-500-point-bonus-unfair.html)

Alpha Golf Jul 22, 2005 10:03 am

500 point Bonus -- Unfair!

I work hard to earn my 472 points, and now it seems I'd be better off starting an all-new account. (Can I?).

GWU ESIA STUDENT Jul 22, 2005 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I work hard to earn my 472 points, and now it seems I'd be better off starting an all-new account. (Can I?).

I have my iClub account from the first month of FlyI service and am planning to call DH one of these days and ask for the points into my account seeing as how I have been flying them for a year.

cepheid Jul 22, 2005 11:13 am

Originally Posted by GWU ESIA STUDENT
I have my iClub account from the first month of FlyI service and am planning to call DH one of these days and ask for the points into my account seeing as how I have been flying them for a year.

Let us know how it works out... I signed up on June 25, only 5 days before this promotion began... but the CSR with whom I spoke said there was "no leeway" and they would not credit me with those bonus points.

Obviously I could try calling multiple times, which I'll probably do... but if anyone has success getting the points, please post and let us know how!

Ankebello Jul 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Combining two accounts ..... Does this work?

kbrogie Aug 3, 2005 2:57 pm

called last night

I called Indy Air last night and said, "Ive been a loyal flyer for 1 year and never got anything CLOSE to a 500 point bonus! It would make me happy if I could get the 500 points or at least bump me up 295 points to my travel award of 1500."

They told me all about the rolling points program, and they didnt even seem concerned that a loyal passenger wanted to be treated fairly.

Im a little upset that any new customer is already 1/3 to a travel award for just signing up... something that took me 2-3 roundtrip flights to accumulate!

Let me know if anyone gets this rectified!

L1011toHNL Aug 3, 2005 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by kbrogie
I called Indy Air last night and said, "Ive been a loyal flyer for 1 year and never got anything CLOSE to a 500 point bonus! It would make me happy if I could get the 500 points or at least bump me up 295 points to my travel award of 1500."

They told me all about the rolling points program, and they didnt even seem concerned that a loyal passenger wanted to be treated fairly.

Im a little upset that any new customer is already 1/3 to a travel award for just signing up... something that took me 2-3 roundtrip flights to accumulate!

Let me know if anyone gets this rectified!

Great minds think alike, apparently. I sent them an email on 7/11 expressing the same concerns:

Subject: New member reward?
I am disappointed that you are offering new iClub members 500 points for
signing up when those of us who jumped onboard, and have been flying,
are not being offered the same reward. I would urge you to credit my
account number xxxxxxxxxx with the same bonus points. I have many more
flights to go until the end of the year.
Here's their irritating reply:

I'm afraid that our new membership promotional discount did not begin until July 1st, 2005. Any account created prior to that date is ineligible to receive the 500 bonus points.

We want to make our new members feel welcome, and we like to find different ways of doing just that. As one of our older members, we hope you find comfort in the fact that you've been able to take advantage of some great Independence Air sales and promotions that our newer members have not.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter, and would like to assure you that we do value you as a customer. We love to reward our frequent flyers, and we are confident that this is far from the last iCLUB member promotion we plan to offer. In fact, please keep in mind if you book and fly two roundtrips between now and September 30, you will be eligible for a free roundtrip companion ticket.

Of course, I saw fit to reply with the further question of which sales and promotions have I been able to take advantage of as a member of the iCLUB?? The only reason the newer members have not taken advantage is because they chose to ignore the company while others produced a revenue flow.

They're not going to budge one inch. And her dangled-carrot about buy and fly 2 for a companion ticket? Nah. A free ticket for my own use is my preference.

StSebastian Aug 8, 2005 10:00 pm

Older members have been able to get the double points promotion and some of the significant fare sales that have been out there with the 20% off coupons.

There are always promos to get new customers and they don't always work out the best for existing customers. Sometimes that just doesn't seem fair, but the company can run the plan however they want to. I had several flights right before the double points promo started, and only got single credit for those. There are promos and sometimes you get to qualify and sometimes you don't.

Under the double points promo, you could get an award ticket for $750 in spend. Under the current system, now you would have to have $1000 in spend. Overall, the previous promo with double points should have been better for you than what's available now. If you didn't even get to 500 points during the double points promo, it's highly unlikely you're going to get to 1500 during single credit within 12 months to make it to an award ticket.

vatraveler Aug 9, 2005 7:16 am

Originally Posted by StSebastian
Older members have been able to get the double points promotion and some of the significant fare sales that have been out there with the 20% off coupons.

There are always promos to get new customers and they don't always work out the best for existing customers. Sometimes that just doesn't seem fair, but the company can run the plan however they want to. I had several flights right before the double points promo started, and only got single credit for those. There are promos and sometimes you get to qualify and sometimes you don't.

Under the double points promo, you could get an award ticket for $750 in spend. Under the current system, now you would have to have $1000 in spend. Overall, the previous promo with double points should have been better for you than what's available now. If you didn't even get to 500 points during the double points promo, it's highly unlikely you're going to get to 1500 during single credit within 12 months to make it to an award ticket.

Very well put. All sorts of affinity programs, airline or not, periodically offer enticements for new members. It's a good promotional strategy. That's just the way it goes.

MFLetou Aug 9, 2005 8:06 am

Lets say you buy a new Chevy Malibu on July 25th.

A week later on August 1st, GM puts an additional $1000 rebate on the car. But you've already bought yours.

Do you think GM is going to give you back $1000?

I agree, it sucks, but that's business. For me, this entire frequent flyer program is a joke. Its nothing but an incentive for me to fly an airline that will give me more than a year to earn miles instead of DH.

GWU ESIA STUDENT Aug 9, 2005 9:24 am

Originally Posted by MFLetou
Lets say you buy a new Chevy Malibu on July 25th.

A week later on August 1st, GM puts an additional $1000 rebate on the car. But you've already bought yours.

Do you think GM is going to give you back $1000?

I agree, it sucks, but that's business. For me, this entire frequent flyer program is a joke. Its nothing but an incentive for me to fly an airline that will give me more than a year to earn miles instead of DH.

If you bought it at Circuit City they will, plus 10% of the difference. This applies to items that they actually sell also. :D

Alpha Golf Aug 9, 2005 10:08 am

New account...

I'm not sure when I'll fly them again, but if I do seems to me I should just set up a new account, since I have less than 500 points in mine. I don't challenge their right to do this, but it doesn't seem very friendly. (Nor do their weekend fares recently, which may make the whole thing moot).