Customers of size?

Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton HHonors
Customers of size?

Recently I purchased a ticket on flyi.com to go from GSP to ROC, so I can spend some time with the fiance & his family.

Unfortunately, I didn't exactly read the part of the Contract of Carriage that concerns "customers of size."

I'm a big girl; not morbidly obese, by any means, but I'm no Twiggy. I've always had no trouble fitting in seats, and I've never needed seatbelt extenders.. but after reading about how Southwest has been with its customer-of-size policy (ticket agents deciding whether or not you can squeeze into a seat), I've gotten a little worried.

I'm not concerned about demonstrating my ability to fit into a seat -- especially if they're as roomy as everyone claims. I just don't want to be harassed about my weight, and I don't want to pay money that I don't have (this trip is my birthday present, btw) for an extra seat that I don't need.

Can anyone offer anything? Suggestions? Comments? Similar experiences?

Also, is the seat width of the CRJ similar to the seat width on the UAX CRJs? Those are what I'm used to flying, which is why I ask..
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
If you fit you should be okay

Originally Posted by ROCboundgirlie
Recently I purchased a ticket on flyi.com to go from GSP to ROC, so I can spend some time with the fiance & his family.

Unfortunately, I didn't exactly read the part of the Contract of Carriage that concerns "customers of size."

I'm a big girl; not morbidly obese, by any means, but I'm no Twiggy. I've always had no trouble fitting in seats, and I've never needed seatbelt extenders.. but after reading about how Southwest has been with its customer-of-size policy (ticket agents deciding whether or not you can squeeze into a seat), I've gotten a little worried.

I'm not concerned about demonstrating my ability to fit into a seat -- especially if they're as roomy as everyone claims. I just don't want to be harassed about my weight, and I don't want to pay money that I don't have (this trip is my birthday present, btw) for an extra seat that I don't need.

Can anyone offer anything? Suggestions? Comments? Similar experiences?

Also, is the seat width of the CRJ similar to the seat width on the UAX CRJs? Those are what I'm used to flying, which is why I ask..
6'2" 300 lbs. and I've never been hassled. I am a large guy. My athletic form (earlier in life) was at 240-250 lbs. So although I'm not lean I fit in the seats easily. The pattern I've noticed is that if someone is being a jerk they seem to be more likely to get "picked on".
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
If you can fit into 1 seat only without bothering the person next to you, then you're probably OK.

If not, then you have something to think about.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA MP
If you're used to flying and you feel you confident in not violating that part of their contract of carriage, you should be fine. The good thing about it is that there is a set standard, not something based on the opinion of the CSR. I used to have family members who worked for UA, and I remember two things about this - that people who would have to buy an extra seat have already done so and, in a case like this, as much as you would dislike getting told you have to pay for an extra seat, they would dislike telling you this far more. With Southwest, I think they got a lot of negative publicity because they have a lot of people who do not travel often.

I would assume that the seats on their CRJs are the same size as the UAX ones as their CRJs were once UAX CRJs.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:20 pm

To the best of my knowledge, Independence Air policy is that if you make a reservation for youself and pay for the extra seat, and the flight you take is not booked to capacity, you are entitled to a refund after the flight by writing to the company or calling the toll free number. There is a card also that you can request with all the details at the ticket counter.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by foxnine
To the best of my knowledge, Independence Air policy is that if you make a reservation for youself and pay for the extra seat, and the flight you take is not booked to capacity, you are entitled to a refund after the flight by writing to the company or calling the toll free number. There is a card also that you can request with all the details at the ticket counter.
WN also has the same policy. If a person of size buys 2 seats and the plane is not full when it takes off, the person can get a refund for the extra seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.