Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Real World Procedures: How Does FlyI Handle Pax Who Standby For Later Flights?

Old May 11, 05, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire

The official FlyI policy is that if you miss your flight, you are a no show, and you lose the value of your ticket. They do officially allow standby on earlier flights than the pax is booked on with no fee.

I am wondering if any employee or real pax can comment on how this is actually handled at the airport. E.g. I'm booked on a 6AM flight, and I come at 730AM to standby for the 8AM? Or I come at noon? Or I come at 7PM?

While the official policy on FlyI and actually some other airlines is that you lose your value, I would be surprised if the airport does not just unoffically allow any kind of same day standby? Can anyone confirm this? Flat tire rule, etc?

United has a similar official and unofficial policy. The official policy is if you check in online and miss your flight without calling web support to un-check in, you will lose the value of your ticket. However, in the real world, they again allow same day standby even if you have checked in online and for whatever reason were unable to reach web support in order to undo the check in.

Thank you.
Old May 11, 05, 9:19 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I was on a self-created interline flight connecting to DH at IAD. My inbound was late arriving to IAD so I missed my DH outbound. I hadn't been able to notify DH though I did have someone else call to let them know I was running late and may not make it. Thus, as far as the system is concerned, I'm late arriving to the airport and it's not DH's fault, so I'd be like someone trying to standby for a later flight.

On the phone for the person calling for me, and again in person when I got to IAD, we were told that I would have to pay the $25 change fee to change my ticket to a later flight and pay the difference in fare. I was told that the official policy was exactly what I ran into, and I never got any different story from anyone. Based on that, it's either the policy or I just didn't ask enough people.

That's similar to what I've seen from other airlines. WN's official policy is that you have to upgrade to full-fare if you want to standby for an earlier flight. US and some of the other mainlines charge $25 to standby for an earlier flight, while others (like DH) don't charge at all.
Old May 11, 05, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by jetsetter
The official FlyI policy is that if you miss your flight, you are a no show, and you lose the value of your ticket. They do officially allow standby on earlier flights than the pax is booked on with no fee.
I missed a FlyI flight out of IAD once because well I arrived at the airport 15 min. prior and SSSS was on the BP . Fortunately customer service in concourse A put me on a later flight, no charge.
Old May 11, 05, 10:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold,United 2P
Just missed flight at IAD 5/10 , no problem

I missed the flight and they didn't even ask why , they just put me on the next flight out.
I did call before hand and got the official party line that has already been stated on this thread.
I think there are unofficial policies for airport personnel that phone service can't initiate.
I actually clarified this policy with Southwest gate agents and was told by them that they'll rebook on the next 2 flights out. This was at OAK and I was asking about flights to LAX, which leave every 30minutes during some parts of the day, ,so don't be too late there.
In general I think (correct me if you've had different experiences) showing up at the end of the day(for an AM flight) will leave you high and dry but show up like you Really Tried to make it (vaguely close to dep. time)and the airport staff will do what they can.
Old May 12, 05, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
FYI: All Carriers Have Unofficial Procedures They Won't Tell You About

All the airlines have numerous unofficial policies like this, and typically, the people at the airport have a great deal more discretion and flexibility than do telephone reservations agents. It is often to a pax disadvantage to call phone res because res sometimes annotates a pax PNR (reservations record) that the pax was told whatever the official rule is.

The "flat tire rule," generally allows for a pax to be accommodated if arriving with in 2 hours of scheduled departure. Most all airlines have a flat tire rule, but I'm not sure if its really written anywhere or if it too is an unofficial airport procedure.

And ot from this thread here is an NY Times article about Double Double Secret Unofficial Airline Elite Levels. In my travels, I have come across the secret lounges discussed in the article.
Old May 15, 05, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I asked about this last summer for EWR-IAD one ways connecting from intl flights. I wanted to prepurchase in order to get a good fare. I found that they gave me the party line but said that there would be a flat tire type rule in case I could show them that I was connecting from a delayed intl flight. They also encouraged me to book a later flight (leave a buffer) and standby on the earlier one. Back then they had hourly flights and loads were low.

In the end I bought a walk-up at least on one ocassion and it was cheaper than the pre-purchase price. It was something ridiculous like 40something dollars.

On another ocassion I managed a book and hold on UA through day of departure. When I showed up at UA they were seriously delayed and messed so the reservation was cancelled and I marched over to Indy Air and bought another <$50 walk-up.

I was getting SSSS but I found out that I could cover the SSSS when I presented the BPs.

Also, Indy Air does not have standby per se. I think they actually rebook you for free if there is space. They claimed that they never overbook.
Old May 16, 05, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Ahh how I miss the days of $49 walkups from IAD-EWR...it appears that those fares now require 14-day advance.

I tried the "cover the SSSS" trick at IAD once and TSA was not amused. A better way to bypass the SSSS is to photoshop an old online boarding pass and change it to the date and time you're flying out. This is illegal, of course, but the Independence Air gate agents I've seen at IAD simply scan your boarding pass and don't even bother to look if the SSSS has been stamped or punched. SSSS is nonSSSSense.
Old May 18, 05, 8:23 pm

I've never seen the SSSSS stamped or punched - just highlighted. I guess this is another airport difference?

Actually, I'm finding that I get through security *faster* when I'm selectee. It confuses them when I request it, though.. I'm wondering if it's legal / if they would mind if I just wrote the SSSSS on there.

When I've switched to an earlier flight at the ticket counter, they've actually booked me on the earlier flight. When I've switched at the gate (no line at security and I got there earlier than expected with no checked bags) it was apparently just done standby, I don't think they bothered to re-issue my ticket. I've never tried to change at the customer-service desk in Dulles A terminal - I assume they'd do the full rebook.
Old May 19, 05, 1:53 am

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Funny story about SSSS... when DH was flying for UAX as ACA I would check in at the UAL ticket counter on an employee stand by ticket. Probably 90% of the time my family would get selected for SSSS, and talking to other employees they mentioned the same thing. We all joked that UAL / TSA knew that airline employees are at high risk for going postal, so they gave them "extra attention" (dark airline employee humor). I wonder if they are stepping up the employee SSSS screenings at UAL again now that everyone is pissed off because of the pension issues.

Search this Thread