IFE for LAS and West Coast Flights is Here!

Old Apr 13, 05, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Thumbs up IFE for LAS and West Coast Flights is Here!

In-Flight Entertainment (IFE) is now being offered on flights to LAS and will be offered on West Coast flights when they start up. The IFE is in the form of a portable digEplayer (like a portable DVD player from what I understand). The digEplayer comes loaded with a variety of TV, music, and movies aimed at all different audiences. $10 “rents” one digEplayer with headphones, and a splitter with a second set of headphones is available for an additional $5. While the digEplayers are collected half an hour before landing, the splitter is the customer’s to keep.

The IFEs were first introduced on Monday's flt 61 to LAS, and had a very positive reception.

OK... it might not be as cool as the original plan of live TV, but it seems like a good compromise between the company's need to keep costs low and the passengers need for entertainment on a long haul flight.
Old Apr 14, 05, 6:06 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
I am curious as to how long the batteries last or if they plug in.

Is this just another thing for the FA's to keep up with?

What kind of fight would they have on their hands if someone denies renting it! Do you have to give an ID or credit card to get it?
Old Apr 14, 05, 6:21 am

I like it!

Bravo Indy!
It's certainly better than nothing. Any idea if they might add XM radio in the seats like AirTran? Maybe Sirius is dying to get on planes and will cut a deal for cheap?

At any rate I love the plan, not as much as tv in the seatback but better than nothing.
Old Apr 14, 05, 7:48 am

Very good news indeed, let's hope it works out. The price is a bit high ($10 compared to Frontier and Alaska's $5 activation fees), but I'd most likely pay for one. This also makes sense as I'm sure that the usage on red-eye flights will be low, and it makes no sense to pay for Live TV when very few pax are actually watching.
Old Apr 14, 05, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by fajimenez
I am curious as to how long the batteries last or if they plug in.

Is this just another thing for the FA's to keep up with?

What kind of fight would they have on their hands if someone denies renting it! Do you have to give an ID or credit card to get it?
Not sure on the battery life, I know my son has a portable DVD player for when we travel and his battery will last for at least a 4+ hr fight, and it is about 3 years old so I'm thinking with new technology the battery life has probably improved.

The flight attendants pass them out, but I don't think you need an ID or credit card to get one... an airplane is a pretty captive environment so there isn't much worry of someone walking off with one at 30,000 feet, and the majority of people are responsible enough to be trusted with electronics for 5 hours without requiring a deposit. (I hope)
Old Apr 14, 05, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Alaska also charges $10.

I've never run out of juice, even on transcons. They're designed so you can't use them at home (recharge or reload content), although I'm sure some folks couldfind a way. That said, the AS F/As write down the seat numbers of all who take them and are very careful about getting them all back.

They're really well-designed and very nice.
Old Apr 14, 05, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by spampurse
In-Flight Entertainment (IFE) is now being offered on flights to LAS and will be offered on West Coast flights when they start up. The IFE is in the form of a portable digEplayer (like a portable DVD player from what I understand). The digEplayer comes loaded with a variety of TV, music, and movies aimed at all different audiences. $10 “rents” one digEplayer with headphones, and a splitter with a second set of headphones is available for an additional $5. While the digEplayers are collected half an hour before landing, the splitter is the customer’s to keep.

The IFEs were first introduced on Monday's flt 61 to LAS, and had a very positive reception.

OK... it might not be as cool as the original plan of live TV, but it seems like a good compromise between the company's need to keep costs low and the passengers need for entertainment on a long haul flight.
That is awesome news.. Such a great feature! Makes flying go by a lot faster. Just curious - how did you find out about this? Any other info you can let us know about!!
Old Apr 14, 05, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chicka12
Just curious - how did you find out about this? Any other info you can let us know about!!
It was in the daily employee newsletter yesterday.

And yes, I know more... but if I told you I would have to kill you... and nobody wants that (Indy needs all the passengers they can get).
Old Apr 16, 05, 1:57 pm

We have the DigEplayers at Alaska and they are $10 to rent as well. They have about 10-12 movies loaded on them, as well as 3 or 4 television shows and several short feature type programs and 10-12 music videos. In addition, the DigEplayers contain 10 hours of digital music, containing a variety of genres. Movie selections include some that are not yet available on DVD.

The batteries last for quite a while. The players can routinely do a round trip SEA-ORD flight (about 8 hours or so flight time) without a battery change.

As far as passengers stealing the players, once on the airplane they become a part of the airplane and it would be a federal offense to steal one. If a passenger refused to return a player we would simply have the police meet the flight and shake 'em down. If the passenger were found with the player they would be charged with a federal offense. If that isn't deterrent enough, once the battery wears down the player becomes useless to anyone other than the airline or APS DigEplayer company. The battery is a proprietary battery that only APS can recharge and the programming can only be changed by APS as well.

The biggest problem we have with the players now is that the programming is only changed every 60 days. Still, they are a great way to pass the time and $10 is a bargain if you don't have anything else to do.
Old Apr 21, 05, 1:43 pm

It was in the daily employee newsletter yesterday.

And yes, I know more... but if I told you I would have to kill you... and nobody wants that (Indy needs all the passengers they can get).

Haha..Well i really do think it's a great idea. Do you think it will be a hit with customers? I hope so. I would love to have that feature on my flights! Also, would it only be offered on flights from coast to coast, or even flights from lets say Dulles to West Palm Beach?
Old Apr 21, 05, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Haha..Well i really do think it's a great idea. Do you think it will be a hit with customers? I hope so. I would love to have that feature on my flights! Also, would it only be offered on flights from coast to coast, or even flights from lets say Dulles to West Palm Beach?
The initial word is that these flights will only be offered on the "long haul flights" out west; however, if they become popular with the passengers I wouldn't be surprised if they looked into the idea... however, I wonder how many passengers would pay $10 for 1.5 - 2 hrs (maybe less) of entertainment.

Last edited by spampurse; Apr 21, 05 at 11:11 pm
Old Apr 25, 05, 4:22 pm

I know i have so many questions but I'm just so curious about this! Is there a way you can find out which movies will be offered before purchasing the equipment? Is there a magazine that includes the movie schedule in it?
Old Apr 25, 05, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Initially the the flight attendents should be able to tell you what movies are programed in, then eventually (either next month or June) they should be publishing the entertainment selection in the "Why FlyI" timetable / promotional booklet that are in the seatback pockets and at the ticket counters.
I haven't seen any of them... so I can't tell you what is playing now... maybe someone who has been on a transcon recently will give a brief rundown on what was offered.
Old Apr 28, 05, 12:23 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I know i have so many questions but I'm just so curious about this! Is there a way you can find out which movies will be offered before purchasing the equipment? Is there a magazine that includes the movie schedule in it?
Better than a magazine...a website:

http://www.flyi.com/specials/inflight.aspx
Old Apr 28, 05, 6:57 am

Programs: iclub
Initially the the flight attendents should be able to tell you what movies are programed in, then eventually (either next month or June) they should be publishing the entertainment selection in the "Why FlyI" timetable / promotional booklet that are in the seatback pockets and at the ticket counters.
I haven't seen any of them... so I can't tell you what is playing now... maybe someone who has been on a transcon recently will give a brief rundown on what was offered.
coming back from SAN i got one. what a difference to a 5 hour flight!!!!
the movies on the player were sideways, birth, the incredibles, ice princess (didn't watch that one), and i can't remember the rest which was about 6 other movies. the television programs were the simpsons (2 episodes), friends (3 episodes), king of the hill, and raymond. there were about 5 other choices for shows. there is music videos and music. with classic rock, alternative, r&b, pop, country, and top 40 stations.

watch 2 movies and the simpsons and you're there!!!

Search this Thread