Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

FLYi tailfin truck driving around Columbia, SC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLYi tailfin truck driving around Columbia, SC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Question FLYi tailfin truck driving around Columbia, SC

Even though I heard they are discontinuing the CAE-MCO and CAE-TPA routes, it seems like they are trying to do some marketing down here.

My wife saw the truck with the FLYi tailfin driving around Columbia, South Carolina, yesterday.

Do employees drive that truck around or is it a marketing company?
Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:01 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I heard that employees were allowed to check out the trucks for a weekend or so if they put in a reservation request, and then they could drive them around wherever. I saw one or two in the corporate parking lot when stopping by there next to IAD. It might have been a DC based employee on a trip to Columbia or a CAE-based truck for that staff.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:13 pm

There were several threads about this when FlyI first started service, but with search down I will try to give some info from memory. Some of it is probably wrong, so hopefully the FlyI employees who hang around can correct me.

FlyI has 20 of those trucks, 10 are based in IAD and 10 rotate between spoke cities. They go to marketing events and when not in use for marketing employees get use of them. I think they have drawings or contests to earn the use of the trucks. They have the FlyI tail built into the bed of the Silverado pickup. One of the marketing people I talked to who was at a wine festival in Virginia said the thing was a cop magnet as the tail drew so much attention. In DC I've seen them all over the place, even out in West Virginia at the Charles Town racetrack. I've seen them so much I've grown immune to it.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:30 pm

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
jetTruck

Employees are allowed to sign up to check them out (I have never done it, but know others that have). They have been spotted at most every Redskin's home game last year, and most recently in the infield at the Daytona 500 where they were a big hit! They definitely do get attention!
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
mystery solved

I was told today that someone spotted the truck in the Columbia, SC, St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.