It's the Little Things

Old Mar 19, 05, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
It's the Little Things

Just took another trip on Independence. Had an appointment in NYC and decided to use FLYi for a daytrip.

I love this airline more each time I fly them. The people actually go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. They had folks wandering the A gates answering questions and adding tags for people's plane-side bags. Perish the thought that would happen with UE. And I won't even compare A to G.

The flight attendants on both trips were friendly. I like their CRJs (gasp), and the seats do make a huge difference. I rarely get a beverage service on UE for a 40-minute flight, but got that on both DH flights. The return even offered a second pass through the cabin for refills.

I've also noticed that FLYi allows people to get up and move, which is nice. The seatbelt sign was off for a good 25 minutes on both flights.

Oh, and the hot towels are a nice touch, with very little cost to the airline.

Anyway, my fingers are crossed for financial survival for his carrier.

On a side note, Terminal 4 at JFK is quite nice, as is the much defamed AirTrain.

Last edited by vatraveler; Mar 19, 05 at 2:46 pm
Old Mar 19, 05, 3:18 pm

Programs: United 1K
I too think very highly of FLYi and hope they stay around.
Old Mar 20, 05, 12:58 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by vatraveler
On a side note, Terminal 4 at JFK is quite nice, as is the much defamed AirTrain.
A JFK gate agent told me that it makes the international connections for people very easy -- they can fly DH to terminal 4 and then they're right there for most of the international carriers. I thought it was weird that they had that gate of all of the possible ones they could have used.

I liked the AirTrain, though they need to have subway maps at the airport (or I missed them) so you know which AirTrain to take to take for a subway connection. It runs on a more consistent schedule than the M60 at LGA.
Old Mar 21, 05, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by StSebastian
A JFK gate agent told me that it makes the international connections for people very easy -- they can fly DH to terminal 4 and then they're right there for most of the international carriers. I thought it was weird that they had that gate of all of the possible ones they could have used.

I liked the AirTrain, though they need to have subway maps at the airport (or I missed them) so you know which AirTrain to take to take for a subway connection. It runs on a more consistent schedule than the M60 at LGA.
The E connection at Jamaica is great, especially if you're headed for midtown.
Old Mar 21, 05, 11:32 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by vatraveler
The E connection at Jamaica is great, especially if you're headed for midtown.
Yes. Unfortunately, I had to pick whether to go to the A at Howard Beach or E at Jamaica without knowing anything else about the NYC subway system from JFK. I didn't have my map with me and hadn't been through JFK before -- I knew how to get in town from LGA.

Anyway, the DH flights went quite well and I appreciated being able to use the trains the whole way instead of the M60 bus to LGA. I'll look to DH next time I'm heading to NYC as long as their fares are reasonable. Even with the non-stops from RDU on various carriers, I'm willing to help out and push my business to DH as long as the through-connections at IAD are reasonably efficient.

Search this Thread