Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Looks like flight cancelled, but FlyI says it's "full"

Old Mar 8, 05, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Hi, I am hoping one of the FlyI people who post here can help me.
I have booked flights from IAD to TPA over 2 weekends in May for 6 family members. My 3:10 p.m flight to TPA no longer shows up on the booking engine anytime after April 30, as far as I can tell. My return flight to IAD at 6:15 pm also no longer shows up after that date.
My calls to the 800 number have not given me any answers. They tell me the flights are full. I guess that is what their computer is telling them. They tell me that if the flight was cancelled it would not show up at all in their system.
Do you have any advice for me? If my flights are cancelled, I want to know soon, not the day before or the day of. If they have stopped selling fares for those flights in anticipation of cancellation, that would be useful information to know also.
I think the contract of carriage gives me the right to get my money back if the flight is cancelled. Is not telling me the flight is cancelled until the last possible moment some kind of strategy to get around the contract of carriage?
I understand there is restructuring, etc., going on. I thought IAD-TPA was one of their good routes. I think there used to be 5 flights per day. A few weeks ago they stopped listing the flights on that route that had layovers. Now, there are only 2 flights per day starting in May.
Anyone clued in as to what's really going on? I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Old Mar 8, 05, 11:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
When the flights are full, they stop showing in the booking engine as there are absolutely no more tickets that can be sold for that flight.

Check your booking on FlyI.com . If your flight gets canceled, the website will tell you so.
Old Mar 8, 05, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reponse.
I typed this all in too quickly, so perhaps it wasn't clear.
The IAD-TPA 3:10 p.m. flight no longer shows up on any day after April 30 in the booking engine.
Same thing with the TPA-IAD 6:20 p.m. flight.

I have trouble believing that all of those flights suddenly became full, all at the same time.
Old Mar 9, 05, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Looks like I misunderstood your question. Yep, this certainly looks like they scrapped the flight

Originally Posted by msquared
Thanks for your reponse.
The IAD-TPA 3:10 p.m. flight no longer shows up on any day after April 30 in the booking engine.
Old Mar 9, 05, 9:04 am

Programs: iClub
I think they scrapped the flight too. Probably a good idea to start working on your back up plan.

BBB
Old Mar 9, 05, 10:58 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
There's probably a realignment kicking in on 1 May that's changing frequencies and flight availability, since San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle and San Jose all come online that day.

They should be able to see that information when you call, but as an aternate method you could send an email asking for support and see what response you get. If it's been canceled, you can probably get some error to kick in if you try to change your seat assignment or other function in your existing itinerary and can use that to ask a question...or just pretend like you're trying to buy another seat on the same flight (use a phone agent) and get them to say that's not being offered anymore.

Welcome to FT!
Old Mar 9, 05, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, MR LT Plat Prem, HY Globalist
I had the same problem as you, msquared, only different dates - 5/20 and 5/22. When I checked today, however, I noticed that all three flights had been restored. However, when I look now, most days still have only two flights, with a select few having three flights - mostly Sundays, with a couple of Fridays thrown in. Not sure what, exactly, that means.
Old Mar 10, 05, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads-up, jkm. I noticed last night that my Thursday 3:15 pm(IAD-TPA) and Sunday 6:10 pm (TPA-IAD) flights in May were back on line. However, the Friday 6:10 pm (TPA-IAD) and Monday 3:15 pm (IAD-TPA) flights are not. Looks like they are tinkering in a big way with the schedule.

Any opinions on whether that is a good sign for the near future or a very bad sign?

According to the seat assignment feature, none of my flights is very full at all. Have people found that feature to be an accurate predictor of flight capacity?
Old Mar 15, 05, 11:08 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Not much at all - some people don't bother to assign seats so they just show up and get them at checkin.

I noticed that the frequency on your IAD-TPA routes increases on 17 Mar in the schedule, before decreasing on 1 May to support the west coast routes. I'm guessing that extra A319s are coming online early and they might as well get some flights out of them rather than parking on the ground for a few weeks.
Old Mar 23, 05, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by msquared
Thanks for your reponse.

I have trouble believing that all of those flights suddenly became full, all at the same time.
I'm a mechanic for indy and I looked at the flights on 5 May to TPA (I don't know the day your flying) in our employee travel section and here are the flights I found:

Flight #12 IAD/TPA 1515/1730

The flight #'s and times remain pretty much the same throughout the month. I have found that with travelocity, orbitz, etc. that a lot of times the flights won't show-up from day to day.

Search this Thread