FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Independence Air iClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/independence-air-iclub-587/)
-   -   Indy Air to merge? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/independence-air-iclub/404577-indy-air-merge.html)

tailfins Feb 25, 2005 5:04 pm

Indy Air to merge?

Interesting article on MarketWatch today. Seems one of DH's shareholders is pushing for them to find a merger partner. Any thoughts on who'd make a good match?

Here's the link to the article:

http://tinyurl.com/6hgjp

100K Feb 25, 2005 8:44 pm

It's been largely talked about that Skywest, Republic, or Mesa are possible bidders.

bursa Feb 25, 2005 9:14 pm

Becoming a UA express carrier (at least in part) seems good, staying as they are is also good as they get more pax and recognition.

NeoOfTheCRS Feb 26, 2005 7:59 am

Their shareholders have been pushing them to do anything except what they are doing now. The shareholders can read the writing on the wall.

jaguar Feb 26, 2005 4:11 pm

The only hope they have is finding a savior.

whlinder Feb 27, 2005 6:22 pm

Well, HP has talked about merging with someone sometime soon. FlyI wouldn't cost much since they don't have many assets with everything being leased. HP could work with Mesa and send the CRJs to Mesa and keep the A319s.

(I am assuming that all the planes are compatible- engine wise).

BigBeerBelly Feb 28, 2005 7:58 am

Originally Posted by whlinder
Well, HP has talked about merging with someone sometime soon. FlyI wouldn't cost much since they don't have many assets with everything being leased. HP could work with Mesa and send the CRJs to Mesa and keep the A319s.

(I am assuming that all the planes are compatible- engine wise).

Whlinder, the only way that would happen is if FLYI first declared chapter 7, then voided the union contracts. I am certain the Independence Air pilots will not go to Mesa happily.

BBB

whlinder Feb 28, 2005 9:18 am

Hmm... I forgot about the love that FlyI has for Mesa... lol.

L Dude 7 Feb 28, 2005 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by BigBeerBelly
Whlinder, the only way that would happen is if FLYI first declared chapter 7, then voided the union contracts. I am certain the Independence Air pilots will not go to Mesa happily.

BBB

Hmm... TWA did a pre-packaged BK as part of their merger with AA. With Indy's current state, it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

What if US and Indy merged? They could lock up the east coast market, especially DC. United could then start code sharing even more of the IAD flights and eventually back out of much of the domestic IAD market, leaving US/Indy as the feed and focussing on international flights... And everyone can start turning a profit.

DataBaseDude Feb 28, 2005 1:51 pm

Great Idea!

... and people in D.C. can go back to paying 10 times as much for flights. Consolidation is just what we need.

whlinder Mar 1, 2005 6:54 am

I don't think the DOT would like one airline to control so much of the WAS market at both DCA and IAD. Remember the 'DC Air' spinoff that was to be the US Airways DCA operation when UA was buying UA?

It will stink to go back to the days of high fares but FlyI had quite an ambitious plan that they are finally starting to adjust to reflect the market reality. Whether they get it fixed in time remains to be seen. And I still think HP is the most likely partner, but perhaps F9 will be interested as well. Afterall, if your choice is Mesa or unemployment, which one do you pick?

Indypilot Mar 1, 2005 8:22 am

"if your choice is Mesa or unemployment, which one do you pick?"

I think we answered that question during the hostile takeover attempt. I'll take the second.

DataBaseDude Mar 1, 2005 11:00 am

liquidate U

With operating losses continuing to mount at both UA and US, and Indy having a year before they get hit with some of those deferments, I would be willing to lay some money that either UA or US will liquidate by the that time and Indy can pickup a couple of the pieces and grow a little larger on the long routes.

Who knows, could happen.

L Dude 7 Mar 1, 2005 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
I don't think the DOT would like one airline to control so much of the WAS market at both DCA and IAD. Remember the 'DC Air' spinoff that was to be the US Airways DCA operation when UA was buying UA?

It will stink to go back to the days of high fares but FlyI had quite an ambitious plan that they are finally starting to adjust to reflect the market reality. Whether they get it fixed in time remains to be seen. And I still think HP is the most likely partner, but perhaps F9 will be interested as well. Afterall, if your choice is Mesa or unemployment, which one do you pick?

DC metro is already extensively served by multiple airlines, especially if you bring in BWI.
Hubs, you have UA and Indy at IAD, US at DCA, Southwest at BWI
And then focus cities, Airtran at BWI and JetBlue at IAD.
From Chicago, for instance, I can fly nonstop on Southwest, Indy, ATA, American, US and United to the DC airports.
If some of the current airlines went under, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for the others to beef up the operations - if that was even needed.

The way airlines keep holding on nowadays, I would expect to see either all three (US, US, Indy) go under, or none of them.

fwfdan Mar 3, 2005 10:19 am

Originally Posted by L Dude 7
JetBlue at IAD.

While I appreciate JetBlues presence at IAD, moving from 4 destinations to 5 is hardly a boon to the locals.

As someone who lives in Northern VA - BWI is not a local airport. In fact the "southwest effect" had not impacted fares from IAD or DCA. Same with FL... - that leaves 2 airports, IAD and DCA. As for DCA, remember slots and limits on trip length (true, that is changing slowly) as well as the darn "you must remain seated for 30 minutes" rule... That leaves 1. IAD. And DH has helped a lot...

Hey.... Indy Air - maybe they will buy ATA and set up another hub in "Indy"???? :D