No more 10 miles/$1 for elites?

Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, AA, USA, DL, UA, MW, SWA, MW, AirTran, Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Chc Prvlgs, BW
No more 10 miles/$1 for elites?

Reading the thread on the AA bonuses:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/idine...-miles-rn.html
I see AA doesn't offer 10 miles/$1 for elite level anymore.

I seem to recall some of my other airlines such as DL, UA, etc. offered the $10/mile. Midwest Airlines, of course, keeps it at 5 miles/$1 and Holiday Inn Priority Club at 8 miles/$1.

I don't do the Hol. Inn anymore as I stay at Hamptons and Marriotts, and am back to the lowest level on Holiday Inn dining. I was awarded points accidentally when I used the wrong CC at an establishment last summer.

I went back and looked at my rewards history, and I found that I did receive an extra 5 miles/$1 bonus.

So all the airlines are at 5 miles/$1?

What a devaluation.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: BA, United, Alaska, AA
See extensive post on this subject here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/idine...er-2009-a.html

Cheers,

kings_29
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, AA, USA, DL, UA, MW, SWA, MW, AirTran, Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Chc Prvlgs, BW
That thread was mostly about the Rate Your Dine bonuses.

When did RN end the 5+5 bonus miles for VIP accounts?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
dougdd -
You saying you were getting the +5 for something other than "Rate Your Dine" ???

/.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dougdd
That thread was mostly about the Rate Your Dine bonuses.

When did RN end the 5+5 bonus miles for VIP accounts?
A year or two ago, they switched from automatically giving VIP's the +5 to only giving them +5if they rated the restaurants.

Thus if you were getting +5 in 2008, it was because you were using Rate Your Dine.

That's why the discussion is all about Rate Your Done bonuses, because in 2008 that was the only way to get 5+5 miles for VIP accounts on every dine.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:13 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
A year or two ago, they switched from automatically giving VIP's the +5 to only giving them +5if they rated the restaurants.

Thus if you were getting +5 in 2008, it was because you were using Rate Your Dine.

That's why the discussion is all about Rate Your Done bonuses, because in 2008 that was the only way to get 5+5 miles for VIP accounts on every dine.
IIRC, back in 2007 (perhaps earlier, but that's when I started) elites got 5 mi/$ base + 5 mi/$ bonus automatically. From 8/19/07-12/15/07 there was an additional 5 mi/$ bonus for Rate Your Dine (on top of another Aug-Oct 08 5 mi/$ bonus up to 2500 mi, yielding 20 mi/$!) Then in 2008, they removed the automatic elite bonus but kept the RYD bonus, resulting in 5+5. Then, as we know, in 2009, they removed the RYD bonus, resulting in just 5.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dstan
IIRC, back in 2007 (perhaps earlier, but that's when I started) elites got 5 mi/$ base + 5 mi/$ bonus automatically. From 8/19/07-12/15/07 there was an additional 5 mi/$ bonus for Rate Your Dine (on top of another Aug-Oct 08 5 mi/$ bonus up to 2500 mi, yielding 20 mi/$!) Then in 2008, they removed the automatic elite bonus but kept the RYD bonus, resulting in 5+5. Then, as we know, in 2009, they removed the RYD bonus, resulting in just 5.
Wow. I didn't realize so much had changed. I guess I was getting the Rate Your Dine bonus, while I thought it was the normal elite bonus.

Guess I'll have to pay more attention to this board.

I'm certainly going to cut down on my Idine dining, as it ain't worth seeking out restaurants and going out of my way just to get miles.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 8:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You have a very good memory! The 5 miles per $ certainly makes "double dipping" less of an incentive to dine out in iDine properties.

I remember some restaurants giving double miles - 20 miles per dollar spent. Ahhh!

(To add insult to injury, AMEX HHonors Platinum has "demoted" restaurants form 5 Hilton HHonors points per dollar to three this year. )

Originally Posted by dstan
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
It's getting harder and harder to justify eating at crappy restaurants just for the points.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
It's getting harder and harder to justify eating at crappy restaurants just for the points.
Best comment I've read on FT in a looong while, LOL... and, unfortunately, truly a microcosm of the overall travel-related perks of the industry in the current climate.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Ritz
Best comment I've read on FT in a looong while, LOL... and, unfortunately, truly a microcosm of the overall travel-related perks of the industry in the current climate.
The annoying thing is that this is really the best time to offer promos and such. If they had a 20k miles promo or something after x dines @ y dollars spent, I bet folks would be all over it here. It would really drive business toward the restaurants in a bad economic climate.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
I remember some restaurants giving double miles - 20 miles per dollar spent. Ahhh!
Your post is confusingly worded. Restaurants giving double miles hasn't gone away. (It's called Hot Deals under your bonus tab.)

What's changed it the meaning of "double" (and not this year, but over a year ago). It has always meant double of the miles you get from your basic dine (before any separately-posted bonuses) so I don't think it ever doubled the Rate Your Dine bonus, does it? If so, it stopped being 20 miles per dollar spent over a year ago.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: CO Infinite Plat, UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, US(ex-CP), VX, DL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
I guess I'll still go to the restaurants I know I like, I'll try fewer new places, and I will certainly stop rating my dines. Maybe when iDine notices we aren't rating restaurants anymore, they'll push to have the rate your dine bonus back...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.