Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Added CC immediately after Dine: Will I get miles/points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

I only had my AMEX listed with iDine, and of course my restaurant didn't accept AMEX so I gave them my VISA. Went home and registered the card a couple of hours later. Will I get the miles?

How does it work anyway? Does iDine scan your CC for participating restaurants? Does the transaction somehow get instantly flagged?
Old May 21, 2007, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
That should be fine. I don't believe they have any way of telling within the same day whether your card was added before, or after, you actually dined. What might have been a problem is registering a card after that. I have had, on rare occasion, a meal post on the third day, so the system was checking transactions the second day I believe.

I am fairly certain that if one switches cards a day or two later, and the dine fails to post, Rewards Network will catch on and deny retroactive credit. Adding and dropping cards seems to be a fairly prominent feature on their screens at HQ.
Old May 21, 2007, 7:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have done this once in the past and it worked fine in my case, not that I'd try it on a regular basis.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I just had an experience with switching programs on a card. I got miles in the program to which my card was connected on the day the charge posted to my CC acct.
The OP should be fine.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by spgaston
I only had my AMEX listed with iDine, and of course my restaurant didn't accept AMEX so I gave them my VISA. Went home and registered the card a couple of hours later. Will I get the miles?

How does it work anyway? Does iDine scan your CC for participating restaurants? Does the transaction somehow get instantly flagged?
Yes, you should be able to get credit. The restaurant authorizes the card through Idine, but I've noticed Idine doesn't issue credit until the temporary authorization is removed, so if you register it before the restaurant sends it to Idine (usually the next day in the evening I've discovered), you should be okay.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I just did this on Thursday night. Dined at a participating restaurant, returned home and updated cc within 2 hrs of signing the receipt. I'm not seeing anything on my iDine account as of tonight - shouldn't I be?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ehallison
I just did this on Thursday night. Dined at a participating restaurant, returned home and updated cc within 2 hrs of signing the receipt. I'm not seeing anything on my iDine account as of tonight - shouldn't I be?
Depends what you're looking for.

The dine itself -- very likely not.

An increase your "program to date miles" which matches the base (not counting any bonus) miles that you'd earn for that dine -- maybe. I always see that a full day before the dine actually posts. So if you see that today, you're almost certain to see the dine tomorrow, and if you don't that yet today, you're very unlikely to see the dine yet tomorrow. (But of course, if you don't remember what your "program to date miles" was yesterday, you can't tell what'll happen tomorrow. )

I use a tabbed browser where I keep a number of windows always open, including my posted dines 1-10 page, wehre that "program to date miles" is. So all I have to do every morning is log out, back up that tab to the home page, log back in (I log out and lock back in because my browser then remembers my password but doesn't if I don't log out because iDine/RN in that case only prompts for the password and not user ID), and go back to that 1-10 page. This is so quick that I just remember in my head what the previous day's "program to date miles" was because I just saw it seconds ago. If you don't keep that window "always" open, you'll need another way of keeping track. (Btw, there's one day of the week that this doesn't work: The day before all the bonuses post, it's pretty impossible to tell what the increase is due for, if you've had a lot of activity that should have earned bonuses lately.)

Anyway, it's very common for dines to take at least 3 days to show up in the total, and at least 4 days to show up in the listing, especially when that crosses a weekend. And I've seen some restaurants take a week or two (both posting to iDine and to my credit card "recent transcations" statement online), presumably because they're sloppy about submitting the final total (or use antique paper technology to do so?).

And, btw, while adding a card you've never used with iDine/RN a couple hours after the dine may be simple, it could be another story if you have to delete that card from one airline's dining program and add it to another. In the latter case, I assume they'll have a record of both cards on the same day, and they may reseach the exact time you switched and thus may still credit the previous airline.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thank you for the detailed response. I had been sifting through some other posts in which members stated that their dines posted like clockwork at 2AM on the 2nd day, and the dine details showed up the 3rd day. I think the detail I missed was that it's PROGRAM-to-date miles (which I wasn't keeping track of) and not year-to-date miles.

My dine is in the account this morning! (which means the points were *probably* in the program-to-date miles last night when I posted in alarm).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Looks like you can add your credit card a few days after the dine and still get the points.

I had 3 dines recently, 1 each on Wed, Thurs and Fri, all using my corporate credit card. I wanted the first 2 to be credited to the HHonors program (for the current bonus) and then the 3rd dine to AA (my fallback program where I have VIP status). I waited until late Sunday after the first 2 dines had posted, to change my cc from Hilton to AA, and today my 3rd dine was credited to AA! ^

BTW, you now get 2 e-mails from RN telling you that there was a change in your account. One that says a cc has been added (as usual) and one that tells you that a credit card has been deleted (this is new).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Looks like you can add your credit card a few days after the dine and still get the points.

I had 3 dines recently, 1 each on Wed, Thurs and Fri, all using my corporate credit card. I wanted the first 2 to be credited to the HHonors program (for the current bonus) and then the 3rd dine to AA (my fallback program where I have VIP status). I waited until late Sunday after the first 2 dines had posted, to change my cc from Hilton to AA, and today my 3rd dine was credited to AA! ^

BTW, you now get 2 e-mails from RN telling you that there was a change in your account. One that says a cc has been added (as usual) and one that tells you that a credit card has been deleted (this is new).
Good to know, Margarita Girl. One just has to hope that the restaurant does not finalize the bill too quickly. Most of my dines finalize within two days while there is one restaurant near me that takes one day.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I've switched cards right after the actual dine and the mile posted just fine a few days later.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We lunched yesterday, my colleague registered for the ALL DOUBLE, NO TROUBLE bonus a few hours after dining on the same day. We'll see how that goes... if he receives his rating link e-mail. (He does RN for UA Mileage Plus, but he doesn't really avidly track bonuses, etc. - to his loss, I am sure.)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Ummm ...... Diverdewd ....

The "No Trouble" in the slogan refers to the fact that there's no registration: The All Double, No Trouble promotion is open to all AAdvantage DiningSM members. No registration is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.