Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Rules - Gift Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG, GP
Earning Rules - Gift Certificates

My favorite place now has Saturdays blacked out. I'm considering buying a bunch of gift certificates to get around this. I did not see anything in the Rewards Network rules that mentions gift certificates. Has anybody ever encountered a problem with buying or getting credit for gift certificates?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:00 am

Location: newnan, ga, usa PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, Platinum 6C Priority
Gift Certificates

Many posters, including me, have used this approach effectively for the 3X match or the >$15 type promotions
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I use gift certs to get around a couple of restaurants here with weekend blackouts myself; it's a great solution to the problem. I had one problem one time as follows ...

I did a $50 transaction at a once-a-month joint by loading a debit-card-type gift cert. The credit failed to post when it should've; I waited a week or so, and sent a copy of the receipt to Rewards Network. In the interim I used the card once for roughly $15. I infer that the waitress had messed up the original sale so that the $50 transaction would need to be done again (if possible without swiping my card) using a date long after my actual visit (and after the promo I was doing had expired!); RN gave me the full credit, but the restaurant cancelled the balance of my gift card, which I noticed by checking the balance online before my next planned visit. So, I paid nothing, got full dining credit (including a promo bonus) and a $15 meal out of it. On the other hand, it was a pain in the neck trying to resolve it.

To answer your question, by all means get the certs in roughly the amounts you think an average Saturday tab might run. I pay the difference in cash in those cases as it is too painful to sign a mile-less credit card slip.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Swipable gift "Card" ?? Guess we're in the stone-age.

Our local favorite (1x/mo ) still uses paper certs ~ hand written for any $$ amount ^
Just can't go too crazy on 'stocking up' .. except around the holidays
/.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I feel your pain as two of the only three convenient, decent ones here went from 1x to unlimited -- and all 3 dropped Alaska Airlines participation altogether shortly thereafter. As for gift certs themselves: one of the joints works well for large amounts on a debit-style gift card; the second is part of the same debit-scheme, but the waiter was never able to get the card to load properly, so I gave up on that approach there after a few tries; the third one uses hand-completed paper cert forms specially designed by the owner. I did get a couple of $15 certs there for the just-ended Delta promo, to be surrended on future blacked-out Fridays. However, this guy is the one I have mentioned elsewhere who is hopping mad at RewardsNetwork. I don't want to push my luck with him after our conversation about iDining.
Since the upcoming NW promo is $15-per-visit there's not much you can do regarding your own 1x joint there, except enjoy the whopping 250 bonus miles each month. Sorry.

And a note about gift certs and 1x'ers ... I once ordered a paper gift cert, instructing the server to charge the total amount as one transaction. The manger delivered the cert after I surrendered my credit card. Surprise, surprise ... the server then presented me with two transactions to sign, acting helpless when I protested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.