Community
Wiki Posts
Search

REDUCED Rewards - Effective 7/1/05

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down REDUCED Rewards - Effective 7/1/05

From American's Rewards Network Web Site (http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/site/me...es/amer_ve.xml) and Continential's Idine Web Site (http://onepass.idine.com/site/member...es/copd_ve.xml) and America West's Idine Web Site (http://flightfund.idine.com/site/mem...es/west_ve.xml)

On July 1, 2005, we will be changing the benefit structure of the AAdvantage / One Pass / Flight Fund Dining program. We will be introducing a tiered membership structure. Under the current program, you are entitled to earn up to 10 miles per $1.00 spent at participating merchants (subject to certain restrictions). Under the new program structure your benefits and tier level will be based on your level of participation in the program as outlined below:

Elite Member - 12 or more qualified transactions in 2004 (full calendar year) or between January 1, 2005 and June 30, 2005 - 5 Miles/$1.00 Spent

Engaged Member - 4-11 qualified transactions in 2004 (full calendar year) Or between January 1, 2005 and June 30, 2005 Or have/create an AAdvantage / One Pass / Flight Fund Dining Online Profile - 3 Miles/$1.00 Spent

Active Member - 0-3 qualified transactions in 2004 (full calendar year) Or between January 1, 2005 and June 30, 2005 And no AAdvantage / One Pass / Flight Fund Dining Online Profile yet created - 1 Mile/$1.00 Spent

At the beginning of each calendar year, you will be eligible for the benefits of the membership tier for which you qualified based on the number of qualified transactions at the end of the immediately preceding year.

This is not good news!!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:12 pm

probably will be all the Idine programs

I noticed that all three announcements to which you linked have a notation at the bottom: "Posted 12/30/04."

I assume all the airline sites will have similar announcements and that for whatever reason American, America West and Continental put up the new page early (it's 12/27 today).
Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:37 am

Not very happy here. I really enjoy earning 10 miles or more. I will be "elite," whatever that means. I wonder if they will still give the 500 mile bonues to AA elites. I am also curious to see what "additional bonues" they may offer.

Peace!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:47 am

Stupid, stupid program. If they can go with 10 points until 7/05, they should be able to continue at this rate. To devalue the benefit to the customer by at least half will kill this program. People will not go for this. I will say goodbye to this program. It was good while the program was good.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:23 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Originally Posted by sergio
To devalue the benefit to the customer by at least half will kill this program. People will not go for this. I will say goodbye to this program. It was good while the program was good.
I agree with you. I do a considerable amount of traveling and always seek out participating restaurants in the cities I am visiting. In addition, I cater in lunches for seminars at work and use the idine restaurants for more than half of the orders. In both cases, reducing the awards by at least half, no longer makes seeking out these restaurants an effective use of my time.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:54 am

Programs: AA MM, SPG Plat., HHonors GLD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wrose99
I assume all the airline sites will have similar announcements and that for whatever reason American, America West and Continental put up the new page early (it's 12/27 today).
So has anyone confirmed that all participating airlines are affected by this change?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
several local restaurants are now 5 rather than 10

This is already making me less interested in this program. Great while it lasted! Why are they doing this?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just noticed on the NW website - too bad. Makes iDine pretty much useless to me now.

NW's notice
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:48 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Angry It sucks

That is just ridiculous, the reason why I try some obscure restaurant when traveling is to get the idine points.

Now they are just going to give me an additional mile, for me to go out of my way.

Thanks but no thanks

I guess I should try to use it as much as possible until July.

That really sucks
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:57 am

Programs: 1MM UA
I have used Idine many times, but mainly for two purposes:
1. To qualify in various promotions that count partner activities
2. To restart the 3 year year clock on family members' frequent flyer
points.

For these two purposes, the program's value remains pretty close to
the same.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
What really blows for me is that I have my AMEX on AA and one of my Visas on UA, and several places don't take AMEX - so I've split my transactions for the year at maybe 2-3 each. I'll have to go online and see what I need to get to at least 4 transactions on each before the end of the year.

I'll definitely do 12 transactions in the first half of next year because the Mexican place across the street started taking Visa/MC again (the chain was in the program but that location wasn't taking credit cards). But the idea of seeking out a place just because it's Idine, that is gone.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:22 pm

-

I also have miles split up like that. My AmEx gives me miles on DL and my Visa gives miles on US. In addition, my wife's Visa gives her US miles. So between those three cards, there's no way we'll qualify for 5x miles on all three.

Over the past few years, I have often gone out of my way to visit participating restaurants when I have gone out of town. I doubt I'll do that any more. But the program will still retain some use for us, becuase our favorite Chinese take-out restaurant is on the program. Also, there were three times over the last few months where I got email congratulating me on an iDine purchase that I was unaware of. In other words, I went to a restaurant without even checking to see if it was in the program, and by a stroke of luck it just happened to be. The program still has use in these two cases, but I will no longer go out of my way to use it...
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:30 pm

Programs: 5/1/81 AA Member,1MM
British Airways included also.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:43 pm

I checked for info on both DL and US websites.

DL has a notice similar to those mentioned in the first post.

http://skymiles.everydaymiles.com/promo.jsp?id=2200054

I couldn't find anything on USAirways, but I'm sure they must be changing as well and they've just been too lazy to tell people about it...

Dang it, I checked the status of our three credit cards I list above. My AmEx had 10 iDine purchases in 2004; my Visa had 6; and my wife's Visa had 8. So they ALL fall short of the 12 need for "elite" status. And there are only a couple days left in the year. I suppose I might be able to sneak my AmEx up to 12 purchases, but that'd be it. In 2005, should I try to get one of the other cards up to that limit, or should I concentrate all the purchases on the AmEx so that I can get the maximum amount of miles out of those purchases? Man, this change to the promotion stinks...
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick

I'll definitely do 12 transactions in the first half of next year because the Mexican place across the street started taking Visa/MC again (the chain was in the program but that location wasn't taking credit cards). But the idea of seeking out a place just because it's Idine, that is gone.
Would that be Taco Fresco? If yes, they're solely responsible for 695 AA miles/month (65 miles x 3 + 500 AA elite bonus) and many more UAL miles.

If UAL goes from earning 12.5 miles/dollar (with elite 25% bonus) to 5 miles/dollar, I don't know how they can think people will still use the program as much.

Last edited by CheapSk8; Dec 28, 2004 at 1:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.