Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great iDine Restaurants Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by wrose99
I realize that I may have just had a bad experience, and that opinions may vary. But I have to say that in my opinion, this is the worst restaurant at which I have eaten in 2 years living in San Francisco. I had a large meal with 3 or 4 different items and each item was just bad. Any other opinions out there about this one?
I think you must just have had a bad experience. I've eaten there on 3 different occasions (always for breakfast) and had great food each time. The place was always busy, the coffee was good, service was quick and the omlettes were great. I've had both the Mexican omelette and the Brie/apple omlette.
Keep in mind, this is just a cafe / breakfast joint, not really what I'd call a full-fledged restaurant.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Picholine

PICHOLINE in NYC on the Upper West Side on 61st or 62nd Street virtually across from Lincoln Center.

CAVEATS:

It may not be listed in everbody's IDINE Rewards program;

Even if it is, you probably will only get 5 miles to the $ or 10% off;

You have to go ahead and book it thru IDINE as it is offered only at very specific days/times;

And, it is quite pricey;

But, it is fabulous!

As it accepts the Diners Club version of Idine, it will be far and away my most expensive spend, and thereby, I will have it doubled to 20% during the DC promotion this month.

Phew! But, at least I will earn DC points and meet my monthly renewal bonus!
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:18 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Thumbs up

Absolutely great
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:49 pm

Please add:
DCA Signatures Washington DC/Downtown (21)
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:00 pm

Burger Joint in the SFO International Terminal. Was 10mi/$, recently changed to 5 mi/$. Excellent burgers, in my opinion. For some reason it's listed under "Hayes Valley" (a downtown neighborhood) in the Idine San Francisco listings, but I've eaten there a dozen times and got the miles all but one time (which I will look into).

I'm also listed in airport listings if anyone else knows of any.

Originally Posted by JulieAA
Can someone list Idine restaurants in airports and surrounding areas?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
ORD/MDW Chicago, IL --Tsunami - Japanese

While not the service is a little spotty, the food is excellent and the miles are too
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:25 pm

ORD - IL, Chicago - Chicago City, River North - Sugar - American

My entry for this wonderful thread is Sugar at 108 W Kinzie, a block away from the Westin River North and House of Blues hotels. This place is a dessert bar, with an amazing selection of eclectic desserts, as well as an incomparable drink list that includes ports, grappas, dessert wines, and martinis.

In the later hours it gets busier and becomes a swanky nightclub, and during our two-hour visit in October (from 9pm to 11pm) we watched the transformation take place. While rather pricey, Sugar makes for a one-of-a-kind and unforgettable after-dinner destination.

(Current iDine level is 5 miles per dollar, Mon-Thu.)
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
H-town update

OK for you IAH folks, here's some info. (Not much experience with the high-dollar spots...somebody else will have to help with that!) Breakdown based on the current listings by neighborhood:

DOWNTOWN

Irma's - a pretty neat Mexican spot close to Minute Maid Park - I think they are mostly lunch only but during b'ball season I think they are open evenings when there is a game. Some think it is a little overpriced.

Merida - not really downtown - this is on Navigation near the original Ninfa's. Reasonably priced. Try the Tex-Mex favorites or the Yucatan specials.

Pho Tau Bay - just south of downtown - a very cheap Vietnamese spot. This area is redeveloping so fast no telling how long it will be here. I see some other locations with the same name and assume they are connected.

GALLERIA

Vargo's - This has been added fairly recently I think. I haven't been here in a long long time but it is a pretty spectacular setting and a good place if you got some money to blow.

NORTH/NORTHEAST

Horns Texas BBQ - This is an OK bbq place - it is located very close to the exit off of I-45 north just south of The Woodlands so it is pretty easy to find if you need a quick meal near the freeway. I list it because there aren't many bbq places and these make a good way to get miles for takeout food.

Los Arcos - Average Mexican food - but I list it because this is probably the closest place to IAH - just north and west of the airport on FM 1960 at Aldine Westfield.

Matamoros Meat Market - These too are mostly takeout - you can get all kind of Mexican specialties, tamales, etc. Another creative way to earn miles.

Roma Pizza - in Kingwood - This is really good pizza and a bit peculiar because they do not have sitdown nor do they deliver - it is pickup only. I love the White Pie which has no tomato sauce - get it with artichokes, mushrooms, onions, and sliced tomatoes and it will be a yummy way to earn miles. They also have takeout lasagnes, etc.

Taqueria Tepatitlan - a good authentic Mex place - very inexpensive.

RIVER OAKS/MONTROSE

Otto's - This is the BBQ/hamburger place that is the favorite of former President Bush. Another good spot to earn miles for takeout.

Ziggy's Healthy Grill - A very creative menu.

MULTIPLE LOCATIONS

Boudreaux's - Galleria, Willowbrook, Gulfgate and SE Houston. A good Cajun seafood menu with reasonable prices. Order at the counter. They also do really good catering so I used them for a major catering order. Note that the SE Houston location (I-45 at Fuqua) is mistakenly listed in the SW Houston section. (I e-mailed them to move it.) The Gulfgate location would be a good place to get takeout if you are on the way to Hobby airport.

La Tapatia - pretty reliable Mexican food at a good price

Last edited by Watchful; Jan 10, 2005 at 6:13 am
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sacramento addendum

Here are four from a recent trip not covered in previous posts in this thread.

SMF - CA, Sacramento - Sacramento and surrounding areas - Rubicon Brewing Company calls itself a brewpub, but seemed more a glorified neighborhood bar to me. Neutral feelings about it.

SMF - CA, Sacramento - Sacramento and surrounding areas - My Thai
Danger iDine diner Danger! (think: Lost in Space)
The food was poor; probably the wateriest "curry" I've ever run across with cheap cuts of beef. Menu states $10 minimum on credit cards - I ordered a beer to bring my $5.95 entree up to $8.95 (before tax/tip). Previously attentive staff pointedly ignored my credit card.

SMF - CA, Sacramento - Sacramento and surrounding areas - Infusion Cafe Waykewl downtown coffee joint - mellow place with outstanding decor and staff. Moreover, they're a 20x place. ^

SMF - CA, Sacramento - Sacramento and surrounding areas - Nine Doors Downtown Asian bar/restaurant. Outstanding place. Purists might be leery of the 5x reward, but it's one of the few iDine joints I've run across as a distinctly pleasant surprise. Were I in SMF again, I'd go back, miles or not. Large portions of very tasty food. I started with a glass of wine, which was filled nearly to the rim; the bartender had no problem with my sampling each of the four reds before commiting. ^
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:37 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
bump up
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I just updated the Seattle listing. Several have dropped out, and I have visited a couple of new ones since the last edit. Also, Rewards Network FINALLY re-arranged the "Seattle" listing so that joints north of the canal, and only a few minutes from downtown, are no longer listed as "North" along with places halfway to the Canadian border!
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:54 pm

Monterey Park/ San Gabriel in CA: AAA Seafood?

Isn't this quite an outstanding place with great reviews?
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CMH - OH, Columbus

Here are a few observations from a recent trip:

BETTY’S Small, fun joint located in the uptown Short North area. Great beer selection – the fried bologna sandwich wasn’t bad either. Manageress very program-friendly saying their Rewards Network listing brings in business from attendees at the nearby Convention Center.

CAFÉ BRIOSO Downtown coffee house that does sandwiches, soup, salads, etc. Nice place to hang out (it was quiet when I was there off-peak).

SCHMIDTS German food in German Village (south of downtown). Great service, good food, good beer (comes by the glass or the litre).

TAVERNA OPA Greek place, also in German Village. I had wine (1 poor/1 fair), appetizer (poor), main course (fair) and dessert (fair). Service was good, Greek background music was a decent selection.

Note: I did check out G. Michael's in German Village without dining there. Patrons were rather formally dressed to me and the entrees were rather pricey; I ended up at Opa instead.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Buttermilks

MCO Orlando/Maitland great souther fare. Best breakfast in the area.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM- Thank You, FT !!
West LA/ Santa Monica

Panini Garden (yes, you can sit outside in back) Main Street, Santa Monica.

Delicious sandwiches

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.