Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iDine rather than miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

iDine rather than miles

Since I have found redeeming miles impossible and not worth the number of miles for redemption, I have opted for cash back. This way, I can buy the ticket/hotel through my cash card that I receive and gain hotel/airline status that way. Is my logic wrong and am I missing something?

Last edited by klankeo; Feb 2, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klankeo
Since I have found redeeming miles impossible and not worth the number of miles for redemption, I have opted for cash back. This way, I can buy the ticket/hotel through my cash card that I receive and gain hotel/airline status that way. Is my logic wrong and am I missing something?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, klankeo.

If you fly in coach, and especially if mostly domestically, then yes it usually makes more sense to buy instead of redeem.

If you want to fly in business class or above on longhaul international flights, that is where cashback is useless (because cash prices for such flights are mostly sky-high), and working at finding award flights can still be worth it.

So only you can make that judgement based on your own travel patterns/plans/wishes. There is one approach that works for everyone.

(It can also depend a lot on where you're based, where you fly, whether you stay in expensive cities or cheap ones, etc, etc, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.