Groupon/ Idine question

Old Jan 7, 17, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Groupon/ Idine question

Groupon has a new strategy wherein you link a credit card and then get a rebate for dining in that restaurant and paying with the linked card.
Several of the listed restaurants also are Idine locations.
This might be way to triple/quad dip.
Thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 17, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
It will most likely work. Most dining rewards programs (Yelp Cash Back, Thanks Again, Mogl, etc, and probably Groupon) use Empyr as a processor to capture the transactions. Rewards Network does not, which allows for a double dip. What you can't do is register a card across more than one program that uses Empyr as a processor.
Old Oct 30, 17, 4:41 pm

This is what I was looking for. The loyalty program, if called that, is now called Groupon+. It only involves Visa and Mastercard.

This is my concern as well because when this was done as a double-dip with my bank's debit card (must be used as a credit card) which offered a 10% discount for Starbucks as well as Groupon+, it never panned out so well.
My bank's statement showed up with Groupon+ but nothing from the bank itself. I would like to finish up my UA dining promo with a dbl-dip but not certain what will happen.
Old Oct 30, 17, 5:44 pm

That depends on how Groupon+ runs their transactions. If it's processed by a third party such as Empyr, you can double dip. LivingSocial (which is now owned by Groupon) has a similar loyalty program that uses Empyr.

Almost all card-linked dining loyalty programs use Empyr (and thus double dipping across programs that use Empyr won't work), except for Rewards Network. Because the two systems are separate, double dipping is possible.
mommafrica likes this.
Old Oct 30, 17, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
That depends on how Groupon+ runs their transactions. If it's processed by a third party such as Empyr, you can double dip. LivingSocial (which is now owned by Groupon) has a similar loyalty program that uses Empyr.

Almost all card-linked dining loyalty programs use Empyr (and thus double dipping across programs that use Empyr won't work), except for Rewards Network. Because the two systems are separate, double dipping is possible.
Thank you very much! I read this from you elsewhere after posting this and tried to search that out about Empyr and Groupon but came up with nothing.
Old Jan 5, 18, 8:10 pm

Anyone ever figure out how Groupon processes these? I double dip with Mogl and Dining rewards, but the Groupon version seems to have a lot more high cashback options. Just wondering if anyone has given it a try.
Old Jan 5, 18, 8:48 pm

Yes, Groupon uses Empyr, the same as MOGL.
Old Jan 5, 18, 8:49 pm

Triple dip with Thanks Again may be possible despite TA using Empyr as well. When you add your card to the TA app, it's done passively, so it doesn't contact Empyr to verify that the card isn't registered in a different program. I know Thanks Again also uses Empyr because the awards post as MOGL in TA (And yes, I get awarded in MOGL as well)

Last edited by diburning; Jan 6, 18 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 5, 18, 11:55 pm

Thanks guys. Oddly, there don't appear to be any overlapping options in South Florida, though that's just on a quick run through. I'll check more extensively once I've actually moved.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: