Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Beware Terms and Conditions Authorizes RewardsNetwork to Assess Fees!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware Terms and Conditions Authorizes RewardsNetwork to Assess Fees!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Beware Terms and Conditions Authorizes RewardsNetwork to Assess Fees!

Burried deep in Terms and Conditions it says "22. You agree to pay us any fees (including membership fees) that we charge, from time to time, in connection with the Program (“Fees”), along with all applicable taxes thereon. We may pay fees or provide compensation to Third Party Providers and others with respect to your participation in a Program."

I called them
RewardsNetwork: we don't charge fees.
Me: Yes, but you can decide to at any point.
RewardsNetwork: Yes, but we would email you first
Me: where is that in the terms and conditions
RewardsNetwork: It's not, but trust me, we would.

They force you to register a credit card, so it seems to me that this could turn into a nasty scam at any point. I doubt they would do it as long as they are affiliated with the American Airlines Miles Program, but if that relationship dissolves? Not sure I am signing up.

Last edited by Moderator2; Dec 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm Reason: add an icon
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:17 pm

Paranoia, the destroyer.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Michael Goolsby
They force you to register a credit card, so it seems to me that this could turn into a nasty scam at any point. I doubt they would do it as long as they are affiliated with the American Airlines Miles Program, but if that relationship dissolves? Not sure I am signing up.
IIRC, they don't take the expiration date or CSC/CVV for any card, so, it is unlikely that they could charge any registered card.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That's correct. They don't take anything more than the card number. Without an expiration date at minimum, they won't be able to charge you.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:57 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Maybe a remnant from the cash rebate side of business. AFAIK there is, or was, an annual fee associated with cash back. Charging a fee for the miles' side of RN's business will kill them off.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.rewardsnetwork.com/earn/

I can't find a subprogram on their site that currently has an annual fee. But it seems that the cashback iDine subprogram has a lower cashback amount (topped out at 15%) than I remember it having when it had an annual fee, so it could be that they're experimenting back and forth with a program here or there (always with richer rewards than normal) that they might want to charge an annual fee for.

But not only don't they take the expiration date or the name on the card (there's no problem in my experience in registering a card that doesn't have the RN account holder's name on it), they let you register at least a dozen cards (at least in the airline dining programs). So which card would they bill? Obviously, they have to ask you which card to bill any annual fee for, get the expiration date, and get the name on the card (and maybe even a billing address, which again could be different than the mailing address you have on file at Rewards Network).

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 22, 2015 at 1:57 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
In the unlikely event that they suddenly started to charge you a fee without any warning, and actually managed to do so, it seems obvious that you could 1) challenge the credit card charge with the bank/card provider and/or 2) cancel your RN membership.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:54 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, OP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.