Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > iDine/Rewards Network
Reload this Page >

MilagePlus Dining Promo - 2,000 Bonus Miles Assistance Please

Old Jan 19, 15, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I received an email recently offer 2,000 United Miles simply for registering a new account with MilagePlus Dining before January 30, 2015, spending a minimum of $30 dining out at any participating restaurant, and posting a review or short survey within 30 days of doing so.

This evening my wife and I went out of our way to eat at a restaurant we otherwise would not have chosen, just to take advantage of the bonus miles. Most of the qualifying restaurants within our vicinity happened to be prosaic family chains and the kind of colorless, undistinguished run-of-the-mill places we would normally avoid. The offer seemed like a good deal nonetheless and we ended up spending well above the minimum for a pretty forgettable meal this evening.

Now I'm unsure what to do next. I cannot seem to find the short survey that was mentioned in the promotional email offer, nor can I figure out where I'm supposed to post my review.

I'm also wondering if the same credit card can be registered to two accounts in order to take advantage of the offer? It's technically cheating but if I were to register my wife's card to my account, could I post separate reviews to earn 2,000 points in each account?

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 15, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
Hello everyone,

I received an email recently offer 2,000 United Miles simply for registering a new account with MilagePlus Dining before January 30, 2015, spending a minimum of $30 dining out at any participating restaurant, and posting a review or short survey within 30 days of doing so.

This evening my wife and I went out of our way to eat at a restaurant we otherwise would not have chosen, just to take advantage of the bonus miles. Most of the qualifying restaurants within our vicinity happened to be prosaic family chains and the kind of colorless, undistinguished run-of-the-mill places we would normally avoid. The offer seemed like a good deal nonetheless and we ended up spending well above the minimum for a pretty forgettable meal this evening.

Now I'm unsure what to do next. I cannot seem to find the short survey that was mentioned in the promotional email offer, nor can I figure out where I'm supposed to post my review.

I'm also wondering if the same credit card can be registered to two accounts in order to take advantage of the offer? It's technically cheating but if I were to register my wife's card to my account, could I post separate reviews to earn 2,000 points in each account?

Thanks.
First, it takes several days before the dine posts to the Mileage Plus Dining website. Only then will you have a "Take Survey" link.

(They require you to wait 10 days before you report any issues with a dine not posting, but most commonly it posts to the dining website about 3 or 4 or 5 days after the dine.)

Second, you cannot use the same card at the same time in two different dining accounts, and you must leave some card in each dining account. So if you only have one card between you, you cannot do exactly what you suggest.

Also, you earn this bonus only once per dining account, and there's a 1-to-1 relationship between the dining account and the airline account, so you can only earn this bonus once per airline account.

So the only way you can earn this bonus twice is if you have an airline account and your wife has her own airline account, then each of you can earn a 2000 mile bonus in their own accounts.

But how you do this with one card is somewhat tricky, because you need at least a second "placeholder" card of some type:

If you have a second card (it can even be a used-up Visa/MC gift card, or a credit or debit card you recently cancelled, because they don't check expiration dates, they just check that it's a valid card number) then you could add that as a second card to the first person' dining account, and only after that can you remove your preferred card from the first person's dining account and then add it the second person's dining account.

But do not remove the card from the first person' dining account until those 2000 bonus miles post! Someone in another thread made that mistake and the bonus ended up never posting because of that.

Lastly, you do not need to overspend on a single dine to qualify for the bonus. If you go to a restaurant (that you wouldn't mind eating cheap meals at later) that offers gift cards, you can buy a gift card for $30 or more, that'll be your qualifying dine, and then you can use the gift card (if it's a real card, not a gift certificate) over multiple cheaper dines (beyond Jan 30).
Old Jan 21, 15, 11:06 am

I also signed up for this 2,000 point bonus, went to a restaurant and left a review. The 3 points per dollar spent at the restaurant have a paid status but I don't see anything about the bonus.

Does anyone have a general idea of how long it takes to get the bonus points?
Old Jan 21, 15, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know about this bonus, but other bonuses often don't show up on the dining site until a day or so after the Paid status on the dine shows up (even though they show the same Paid date).

So did your Paid status just show up today, or a week or two ago? It typically shows up on Wednesdays (with a paid date of the Tuesday which was the day before), and today is a Wednesday, which is why I ask.
Old Jan 21, 15, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I don't know about this bonus, but other bonuses often don't show up on the dining site until a day or so after the Paid status on the dine shows up (even though they show the same Paid date).

So did your Paid status just show up today, or a week or two ago? It typically shows up on Wednesdays (with a paid date of the Tuesday which was the day before), and today is a Wednesday, which is why I ask.
Yeah the paid status just showed up today with the paid date of yesterday. I'll keep an eye out for the bonus this week then. Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 15, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I did two of these last year, one for Delta and one for US Airways. They each took about 3 weeks or so after the dine for the bonus miles to show up.
Old Apr 28, 15, 8:36 am

New to this too

Trying to get the 2.000 bonus too without going to places that I don't care for/spending too much. Looks like I can do this but not much else after the 3 dines in 30 days.

I think this is a great program for leaving the credit card on file and getting points here and there without worrying. But, can someone explain how I get 5 miles/$. It says 12 dines within the calendar year. Does that take into account my 3 bonus dines (ie do I have to do 15 dines or just 9 more?). Also, for the bonus I need to spend $30. Do I have to spend $30 on my other dines to get to VIP status or should I keep running the credit card after each beer? Or wil it only credit one dine per day anyway?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 15, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by BigMouthStrikesAgain View Post
Trying to get the 2.000 bonus too without going to places that I don't care for/spending too much. Looks like I can do this but not much else after the 3 dines in 30 days.

I think this is a great program for leaving the credit card on file and getting points here and there without worrying. But, can someone explain how I get 5 miles/$. It says 12 dines within the calendar year. Does that take into account my 3 bonus dines (ie do I have to do 15 dines or just 9 more?). Also, for the bonus I need to spend $30. Do I have to spend $30 on my other dines to get to VIP status or should I keep running the credit card after each beer? Or wil it only credit one dine per day anyway?

Thanks!
All dines in a calendar year count toward VIP status or 5 miles per dollar spent. Upon joining the program, you will earn 3 miles per dollar on the first 11 dines, then from dine number 12 onward you will earn 5 miles per dollar. This is called VIP status. If you earn VIP status in 2015, you'll keep it until the end of 2016. Basically, once you're a VIP you will never lose it if you continue to dine at least 11 times each year.

You do not need to spend $30 on every dine to earn VIP status. The only time there are spending requirements is during a certain bonus offer. Each offer is different and you must read the info about that particular bonus.

The bars I go to will not allow me to charge every single beer. Normally, I must have a bill of at least $10 before being able to use my credit card as per the restaurant's rules. Don't worry too much about how much you must spend, just dine as you normally do and you will continue to earn miles.
Old Apr 28, 15, 8:00 pm

Thank you, Open Jaw. Great advice!
Old May 9, 15, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by BigMouthStrikesAgain View Post
I think this is a great program for leaving the credit card on file and getting points here and there without worrying. But, can someone explain how I get 5 miles/$. It says 12 dines within the calendar year. Does that take into account my 3 bonus dines (ie do I have to do 15 dines or just 9 more?)....
Thanks!
The website always tells you how many more dines you need to achieve VIP status.

Search this Thread