Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: MULTIPLE CHOICE: Dining MORE or LESS with Rewards Network?
Dining MORE - more properties where I am
0%
MORE - I'm using multiple RN accounts
0%
MORE for other, unspecified reasons (note below)
3.23%
LESS - because of fewer restaurants where I am
45.16%
LESS - because of lower points per dollar spent
48.39%
LESS - because fewer promos
58.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Are you using RN more or less? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Are you using RN more or less? Why?

Many of us were happy with Rewards Network / iDine, when it made it very worth our while to dine and earn 10 miles / points per dollar. That went to 5 miles / points per dollar, with occasional bonus programs that were still engaging enough for a number of us, though often one had to earn these by doing reviews.

Then, it seemed to get pretty dry. Promos only mailed to those who had not dusted of f their RN in some time, bit not to "VIP" members, fewer restaurants in some areas, the departure from Canada at the end of 2011, the absence of any RN "lurker" for some time seem to be some of the low points.

So are you dining more, less, and why? If there are other reasons than in the poll, or even if you just want to share, post 'em here.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 6, 2012 at 8:44 pm
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:36 am

Less and Less! Wish I could have voted twice! Voted for lower points per dollar spent.

...also, the fewer promos are not as rewarding as previous year's promos!

Roqdawg
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot answer the poll, because you don't have my answer:

THE SAME, but choosing lower-priced restaurants more often than before.

THE SAME, but using different programs (jumping to the previously-less-used one where they gave me the best promo because I'd used it less!)

Why did you not consider a THE SAME answer???

(You did ask if I am dining more or less. As in more or less viists. So that, the visit count, is about THE SAME with me. Now, if you had asked whether I'm spending the same, more or less, on RN dining, that would be LESS, because as I said I'm steering more to cheaper places given that I don't earn as much, plus just to save money period.)
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by roqdawg
Less and Less! Wish I could have voted twice! Voted for lower points per dollar spent.

...also, the fewer promos are not as rewarding as previous year's promos!

Roqdawg
You could have voted for more than one...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
More - I live on the road this year so I expense all my food and love the 15% cash back.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
We have had many restaurants drop out. We are fiercely loyal to nearby idines that have decent food until they drop out. Then we rarely go again. My husband and I jokingly say "we'll show them!". There are just too many fantastic restaurants in San Antonio to choose from.

We have earned hundreds of thousands of miles from idining. I hate to see fewer restaurants and fewer promos! I wonder how rewards networks bottom line is fairing.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I have dined less this year. Many places I like are no longer in the RN program. I also no longer go out of my way to eat a RN restaurant. Sometimes the travel time to eat at a certain place is not worth it.
Now I just dine to keep my VIP status in my three programs.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I chose "LESS - Because of fewer restaurants where I am" and ultimately "LESS - Because of fewer promos" with extra emphasis on the latter.

Compared to 2009 and 2010, and quite frankly, 2011, the amount of promos has gone way down in quality and size. The two extra miles per dollar thing was okay-but by no means an incentive.

Also, I have found that there aren't that many choices in the San Francisco Bay Area anymore. Some restaurants have chosen to no longer participate, and the ones that I do go to, I go when I am in the area because I like the food, but not necessarily just to earn points.

Most of my iDines are when I'm travelling in RN-heavy places like Waikiki Beach.

Bottom line, the program isn't what it used to be by far.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:26 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by demkr
....Bottom line, the program isn't what it used to be by far.
Amen to that, brother (or sister).

Less and less and the 15,000 RN miles earned so far this year pale in comparison with the +/- million lifetime RN miles. The lack of promos, coupled with the reduced 5 miles per $, makes it unappealing to make any particular effort to RN dine.

Consequently I've lost 25 pounds, so it's all good in the RN hood.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Less because of fewer pts/$.
Less because of fewer promos.

There was a time when I used RN restaurants 8-10 times per month. Sometimes including a client dinner that would hit the $600 cap.

Now I don't even bother looking at what restaurants are in the program. Just not worth my time. I still stumble upon miles every now and then (all of my CC's are still registered). Only time I do a dine on purpose is if I have a dormant account that needs activity or a one-off need like the Grand Slam.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Wow, I am the only 'more' response. Should I feel special?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patrickATX
Wow, I am the only 'more' response. Should I feel special?
Almost as special as me, who would the only 'same' response si far if there only were a 'same' option in the poll!

(I thus haven't voted at all, because there's no appropriate selection for me to click!)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've requalified on two partners, and will likely do so with the other two (11 dines with Priority Club should also renew my Plat status there for next year); however, it remains highly unlikely I'll stick with them beyond that for less than 10 miles/dollar - which is what we had with the original iDine in the first place, without any promos at all (granted, all joints were once-a-month-per-partner, period).
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:10 pm
Suspended

I could care less as they have gutted the program. Fortunately, there is a cash back take out program in my neighborhood that has many many more choices of restaurants to choose from and although I would love to earn miles, the cutting back on the miles per $ as well as the promotions means that they are at a singular disadvantage for my dining buck.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Yeah that's my general attitude. I'm not going to go out of my way for points like I used to - but if there's a place I like I'll take advantage of it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.