Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Android App for AA Dining (and others)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
One thing that the official RN dining app fails to do is while you can see where the restaurant is on the map, it doesn't give you the option to have the droid navigate you there using Google Maps/Navigator.

Does yours have that ability? That would perfect it IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by ZeoS
I updated the application to support United, Delta and American Airlines Dining programs
Awesome, thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Nice, now find a way to get some decent restaurants in my area.

BTW - Southwest has a dining program too. Can you add that one?
Yes, it's a little bit more tricky but I'm working on it
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kebosabi
One thing that the official RN dining app fails to do is while you can see where the restaurant is on the map, it doesn't give you the option to have the droid navigate you there using Google Maps/Navigator.

Does yours have that ability? That would perfect it IMO.
My app will try to open the map, if you have google maps installed it will open it with google maps and then you can click "navigate"

I'm also working in adding a yelp link so you can see the reviews on yelp
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Downloaded, like the map and navigate feature which is missing on the official RN app.

However, yours could improve accuracy of nearby restaurant locations; it seems to be giving me nearby restaurant locations based on very inaccurate location data. Upon startup, a restaurant that's "approximately 1.XX mile" happens to be 20 minutes away from where I'm currently at. Whereas the official app has a cool search by current location feature which is linked up with the phone's GPS location data.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Downloaded, like the map and navigate feature which is missing on the official RN app.

However, yours could improve accuracy of nearby restaurant locations; it seems to be giving me nearby restaurant locations based on very inaccurate location data. Upon startup, a restaurant that's "approximately 1.XX mile" happens to be 20 minutes away from where I'm currently at. Whereas the official app has a cool search by current location feature which is linked up with the phone's GPS location data.
I'm also using the GPS, but still needs to refine that. It has lower priority because normally you know based on the address if they are near or not.

About the navigation: that's doable and easy to add. I don't know exactly how because I don't want to put too many buttons on the screen.

Last edited by ZeoS; Mar 8, 2012 at 9:02 am
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:54 am

I'm also using the GPS, but still needs to refine that. It has lower priority because normally you know based on the address if they are near or not.
If you're in the local area yes, but when I'm traveling, I'd have no idea of if the address is near or far.

Take for example, when I'm driving in the Seattle or Portland area. If I'm on the road and get hungry, I'd want to be able to pull over to the side, have the app tell me all the places nearby based on my GPS data so I could drive there for quick bite at the nearest Burger King that participates in the RN program. Alternatively, if I'm in a Comfort Inn in Woborn, MA, I'd like the app to tell me the RN participants nearby which would lead me to good Chinese restaurant 3 miles way.

The official app excels at this with the "search by current location" feature so that I won't miss a mile even if I'm traveling outside of my local area. This feature helped me a lot to get miles from places like Extreme Pita chains in Fargo, ND or Sonic Drive-Ins in Baton Rouge, LA. ^

The downside is that the official app doesn't have the navigation feature, so I end up jotting down the address on a memo pad and re-type the whole thing to my GPS. Minor inconvenience, but if your app can give me a "search by current location feature" and a "drive me to this place navigation feature" added in, it would be perfect.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:42 pm

Now ... if only there were a WP7 app

David
Flyalog
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:33 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I like it, even at this early stage. The green vs. red dates to show availability are great.

I think that it would be a good enhancement to add an Amex icon (we can generally assume M/C & Visa) that way your app would really be all we would need…without the Amex icon I’d have to open up the RN site anyhow to check on what cards are accepted.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:42 am
Original Poster

If you're in the local area yes, but when I'm traveling, I'd have no idea of if the address is near or far.

Take for example, when I'm driving in the Seattle or Portland area. If I'm on the road and get hungry, I'd want to be able to pull over to the side, have the app tell me all the places nearby based on my GPS data so I could drive there for quick bite at the nearest Burger King that participates in the RN program. Alternatively, if I'm in a Comfort Inn in Woborn, MA, I'd like the app to tell me the RN participants nearby which would lead me to good Chinese restaurant 3 miles way.

The official app excels at this with the "search by current location" feature so that I won't miss a mile even if I'm traveling outside of my local area. This feature helped me a lot to get miles from places like Extreme Pita chains in Fargo, ND or Sonic Drive-Ins in Baton Rouge, LA. ^

The downside is that the official app doesn't have the navigation feature, so I end up jotting down the address on a memo pad and re-type the whole thing to my GPS. Minor inconvenience, but if your app can give me a "search by current location feature" and a "drive me to this place navigation feature" added in, it would be perfect.
You are right, I'm actually from Argentina and I'm in USA for business, but network location is usually better than GPS, and its faster but I've working on improving GPS location and it should be working now

Also added a feature to call the restaurant directly from the app to do a reservation.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jailer
I like it, even at this early stage. The green vs. red dates to show availability are great.

I think that it would be a good enhancement to add an Amex icon (we can generally assume M/C & Visa) that way your app would really be all we would need…without the Amex icon I’d have to open up the RN site anyhow to check on what cards are accepted.
Good point, I never thought about it since I have Master, Visa and Amex but I will add the credit card somewhere... (maybe a more info button)
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Can you add hilton honors to this

Thanks

What are others getting for points once they become elite
I get 9 points per dollar

Darrell
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:18 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Good point, I never thought about it since I have Master, Visa and Amex but I will add the credit card somewhere... (maybe a more info button)
Of course, it is not what one has in his/her wallet, but what the idinery accepts. Also, in that I was travelling this week I noticed that the map function hung up on where I once was, not where I am, which could be solved by turning off/on the phone.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:21 am

You are right, I'm actually from Argentina and I'm in USA for business, but network location is usually better than GPS, and its faster but I've working on improving GPS location and it should be working now

Also added a feature to call the restaurant directly from the app to do a reservation.
Superb. I'll give it a try at lunch and report back on how it went. ^
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jailer
Of course, it is not what one has in his/her wallet, but what the idinery accepts. Also, in that I was travelling this week I noticed that the map function hung up on where I once was, not where I am, which could be solved by turning off/on the phone.
mmm that's not good, I'll see wht might had happened. Sometimes the GPS gives old locations (if you used foursquare app you will see that the same happens) :S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.