FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rewards Network (formerly iDine) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rewards-network-formerly-idine-400/)
-   -   Rewards Network exits Canada 31 Dec 2011 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rewards-network-formerly-idine/1296398-rewards-network-exits-canada-31-dec-2011-a.html)

margarita girl Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Rewards Network exits Canada 31 Dec 2011

I've noticed the number of participating restaurants steadily declining in Toronto. I think we had over 70 restaurants at one time. We are now down to 12 and every one of them is marked as leaving the program on Dec 31.

What is going on? :(

JDiver Dec 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Bleagh! That's terrible.

At least OpenTable is still one option - no miles or points, but every bit saved helps.

mkjr Dec 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 17712287)
I've noticed the number of participating restaurants steadily declining in Toronto. I think we had over 70 restaurants at one time. We are now down to 12 and every one of them is marked as leaving the program on Dec 31.

What is going on? :(

it is funny that you mention this since as i add my avion to my wife's aa account since the RBC program ends Dec. 31, i suspect this might have a lot to do with the same.

as much as this is OT on the AC forum, i would post over there too. i know that is why the JG is a go to for Do's in YYZ. i happen to be going there tonight for a few pints and will do five sep transactions to get VIP for the next year so at least i have it when i go on buz trips to the US.

http://rbcrewards.rewardsnetwork.com/faqs.htm

i wonder if restaurants that participated as of the end of this program have to re-enrol in each specific program with AA? in other words, I have no clue but only trying to figure out what the hell is going on also.

margarita girl Dec 30, 2011 5:55 pm

More data.

3 restaurants in Ottawa and all leaving Dec 31
9 restaurants in Montreal and all leaving Dec 31.
10 restaurants in Vancouver and 8 are leaving Dec 31.
Nothing in Edmonton or Calgary even though there used to be.
Nothing in Halifax, and I think there used to be some.

So looks like there are now 2 participating restaurants left in all of Canada as of Jan 1! :rolleyes:

rwarren Dec 30, 2011 7:56 pm

where have all the restaurants gone?!

I used to like AAdvantage Dining but I'm very disappointed that the number of restuarants has shrunk dramatically. At the beginning of the year there were ~40 restuarants to choose from in my city. Tonight there are only 9, including the out of towners -- and they are all leaving December 31! :mad:

Anyone know why this is the case? I've given many suggestions for restuarants over the years and none of them have been adopted.

sdsearch Dec 31, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 17718550)
More data.

3 restaurants in Ottawa and all leaving Dec 31
9 restaurants in Montreal and all leaving Dec 31.
10 restaurants in Vancouver and 8 are leaving Dec 31.
Nothing in Edmonton or Calgary even though there used to be.
Nothing in Halifax, and I think there used to be some.

So looks like there are now 2 participating restaurants left in all of Canada as of Jan 1! :rolleyes:

My guess is that the whole reason that RN started having restaurants in Canada was because (unbeknown to us?) it started having programs in Canada. (I've never seen anyone talk about programs like RBC here before, and so didn't even know that they existed.) And if that's the case, if all Canadian programs are winding down, presumably that's also why Canadian restaurants are winding down.

To have restaurants in the program, RN needs to have sales reps in the area. If there are no dining programs in Canada, what's the justification of having sales reps specifically for Canada?

(And I know nothing about how their rep system works, so I don't even know if it's practical for there to be cross-border reps.)

Points Scrounger Dec 31, 2011 10:47 am

Recall that officially only RBC is "supposed to" exist in Canada; the others were piggybacking onto something that'll no longer exist.

JDiver Dec 31, 2011 11:29 am

Thread now retitled thanks to a member's "AMP" / suggestion, and alerting the mod this is apparently Canada-wide. /Moderator

margarita girl Dec 31, 2011 11:30 am

Actually RN has been in Canada for a long time, at least since I've been a member which is at least 7-8 yrs. RBC Dining only joined about a year ago.

I sent an email to RN's AA division and will report back what they say.

Points Scrounger Dec 31, 2011 2:04 pm

If you recall, the RN rep was rather adamant that Canadians were only supposed to be eligible for RBC signup, nothing else! Sounds as though they've decided not to acknowledge that some Canadians are members of other plans anyway (though RN doesn't feel they "should be"), and have decided to take an official line that without RBC there's no reason to participate in Canada any longer (just for some U. S. visitors).

makfan Jan 2, 2012 10:56 am

Vancouver?

Vancouver, BC is now down to 2 restaurants - one in Gastown and one in Surrey. What is going on? I used to get a lot of my yearly miles on my trips to Vancouver, when I would have time to eat out more.

Maybe better discussed on this thread, as it appears to be the whole program: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/idine...ng-canada.html

rwarren Jan 2, 2012 7:39 pm

But I don't want the fuss and bother of applying to Royal Bank for their credit card. I was very happy with the little dings on my AAdvantage account that keep my AA points alive.

Air Canada used to have something similar many years ago but again tied to a proprietary credit card.

Are there just too many of these "deal of the day" plans that have killed off long term promotions like this?

margarita girl Jan 9, 2012 9:42 am

String of emails with RN.

MG

Are you withdrawing completely from Canada? It seems all restaurants across the country are no longer participating as of Dec 31!
RN

We appreciate your interest in our program!

We have participating restaurants in the United States and Canada. Due to circumstances beyond our control, establishments periodically drop from the program. There could be several reasons that these restaurants stopped participating in the program, the most common being their contract has ended with Rewards Network. If a particular establishment does not appear in the restaurant listing, it is no longer in the program. Please check the website for the restaurants available on the date you wish to dine.

If you have any recommendations you may have for restaurants in your area that do not currently participate in the program! Tell us your favorites or one that you have always wanted to try. Please include as much information as possible - including the name of the establishment, city, state and phone number (if known).

While we cannot guarantee that all restaurants will be added, we will certainly try our best.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions as I would be happy to assist you!
MG

Can you look into this further?

No Canadian cities are even listed in the search function anymore. It would appear as if you have withdrawn from Canada completely. I would appreciate a confirmation, and whether this is just a temporary situation.
RN

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we no longer have participating restaurants in Canada as of 12/31/11.

We appreciate your continued patience and look forward to rewarding you soon!
MG

Yes, I'm aware there are no longer participating restaurants in Canada. That is why I emailed you.

In the spring of 2010, I was in contact with Elizabeth W. from RN (because I was considering a position with you), and she said RN was looking at expanding in Canada.

I guess I'd like to know if you are withdrawing completely or if this is just a temporary situation.
RN

Unfortunately, there seem to be no changes in the future and we will no longer have participating restaurants in Canada. There will be no restaurants participating in the program outside of the United States. We are currently working hard to expand our network of participating restaurants throughout the US.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We appreciate your continued patience and look forward to rewarding you soon!

NJUPINTHEAIR Jan 9, 2012 2:22 pm

It's dying everywhere.

5 miles per dollar is hardly worth searching for the restaurants and I am more inclined to try other restaurants with other sorts of promotions --

1). Restaurant.com restaurants where you save cash,

2). Delivery.com restaurants where you earn points which can be redeemed for prizes (takes a long time) as well as a $5 cash back on 10 orders, as well as other promotions.

R/N is a shadow of its former self. :td:

Jailer Jan 9, 2012 6:20 pm

MG, was the post that you were applying for Communications Director? RN appears that they might profit from one.