Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Can I register one credit card for multiple dining programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
● One can register as many credit and debit cards as allowed to by Rewards Network AAdvantage dining, and earn points (even others' cards seem to do).

● One can not register one card for more than one program; if one does, the card will only work for one program.

● One earns all the miles and points due - e.g. Hilton HHonors Surpass earns 3 points per dollar spent, and an elite diner also earns five AA miles per dollar spent (including taxes and tip).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Am I able to register my Chase SW card for the Rapid Rewards Dining and the AA Dining and double dip?

Also, the opposite. Can I put multiple credit cards in one Dining program? i.e. my Chase card and my friend's Citi card and my brother's Amex card under the same AA Dining program and same AA # ?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by NYmetsfan111
Am I able to register my Chase SW card for the Rapid Rewards Dining and the AA Dining and double dip?

Also, the opposite. Can I put multiple credit cards in one Dining program? i.e. my Chase card and my friend's Citi card and my brother's Amex card under the same AA Dining program and same AA # ?
Nope.

Yup.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aitchly
Nope.

Yup.
So I can't double dip by associating one credit card to different dining programs and getting points for each program when I swipe that credit card but I can bunch a group of my friends' credit cards into one of my dining programs so when they dine without me and use their cards, I benefit from it? If this is true, I'll get all my friends.

But would my friends have to write a review after each dine in? That would be a hassle for them if they get no benefit from it.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:57 am

So I can't double dip by associating one credit card to different dining programs and getting points for each program when I swipe that credit card but I can bunch a group of my friends' credit cards into one of my dining programs so when they dine without me and use their cards, I benefit from it? If this is true, I'll get all my friends.

But would my friends have to write a review after each dine in? That would be a hassle for them if they get no benefit from it.
No double dipping in multiple programs. Try it, you will get an error message.

Or riskier, your friends would have to give you their credit card information which begs the question, "why don't they sign up for themselves?"
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any card you link into your account, it's your account that the review has to be written in (when there's a bonus associated with reviewing). So not only do they not have to write reviews, they can't write reviews, unless you let them log into your account, or they forward the reviews to you and then you enter them.

However, woe to you if you have missing dines, because then you'll have to submit either a receipt or a credit card statement, and if those don't have your name on them, that not only won't necessarily cure the missing dine, but might also set up a red flag. So if you're going to do this, you have to accept is as "gravy", and just ignore any missing dines, I would think.

But do you realize how few restaurants particpate? In my area where there are 100++ restaurants within walking distance of my apartment, only a half dozen of them participate. And in many areas you may be quite a few miles away from the closest participating restaurant. Chances are, if you don't tell your family & friends which restaurants to eat at (or if they don't take your "advice") then you'll hardly ever, if ever, get dines posted from their cards. Is it all worth that much bother?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aitchly
No double dipping in multiple programs. Try it, you will get an error message.

Or riskier, your friends would have to give you their credit card information which begs the question, "why don't they sign up for themselves?"
None of my friends have interest in FF miles or points.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Any card you link into your account, it's your account that the review has to be written in (when there's a bonus associated with reviewing). So not only do they not have to write reviews, they can't write reviews, unless you let them log into your account, or they forward the reviews to you and then you enter them.

However, woe to you if you have missing dines, because then you'll have to submit either a receipt or a credit card statement, and if those don't have your name on them, that not only won't necessarily cure the missing dine, but might also set up a red flag. So if you're going to do this, you have to accept is as "gravy", and just ignore any missing dines, I would think.

But do you realize how few restaurants particpate? In my area where there are 100++ restaurants within walking distance of my apartment, only a half dozen of them participate. And in many areas you may be quite a few miles away from the closest participating restaurant. Chances are, if you don't tell your family & friends which restaurants to eat at (or if they don't take your "advice") then you'll hardly ever, if ever, get dines posted from their cards. Is it all worth that much bother?
That seems like it would be a hassle. I won't do it if it creates a problem for my friends.

I am in Manhattan and almost every block has a participating restaurant so finding a restaurant in the program wouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:30 am

Credit cards registered in more than one program and other questions...

Hi great site thanks for allowing newbies, first post.

I've done a bit of searching and couldn't find the answer:

I am enrolled in the southwest dining rewards program through SW

Today I enrolled in the delta dining rewards program, platinum visa delta etc.

After logging in the delta dining, it looks identical with the same restaurents listed and everything is the same. I registered only 1 card but the same card is registered for SW as well.

It's very confusing as the credits will be going to both programs, SW and Delta, or does one over ride the other? Will i get to double dip these?

Someone out there has got have come across this.

Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by scokeski

After logging in the delta dining, it looks identical with the same restaurents listed and everything is the same. I registered only 1 card but the same card is registered for SW as well.

It's very confusing as the credits will be going to both programs, SW and Delta, or does one over ride the other? Will i get to double dip these?

Thanks.
I only belong to the AA RewardsNetworks Dining program and I have been told they are not the same list of restaurants. I was asking about the android app and they do not offer one for AA but do for others. I was told to use the web for AA participating properties.

Since RewardsNetworks is driving the program, it's my belief that registering the same card number in a different program will negate any previous registration. Since they do seem to post fairly quickly (within a week), your best bet is to try it and see where it posts. Also, you might go back and check which cards are showing on which programs in your profiles.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
First, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Secondly, this question is better asked in the iDine/Rewards Network Forum (link), where this will ultimately be moved to.

AFAIK, once you register a card for a specific program in RN, you will invalidate it for any other programs you may have already registered it for , assuming it will allow you to do so. The only sure way to receive credit where you want it is to tie certain cards to specific rewards programs.

Not all of the restaurants are enlisted in every program - making assumptions about that can mean you could have earned for one, but used the wrong card.

As well, even if a restaurant accepts a card for payment, usually American Express, some restaurants will specifically exclude AMEX from rewards eligibility. Other caveats: some restaurants restrict which days you can earn rewards on, some limit rewards-eligible amounts (most limit $1,000 spend monthly, some $600 and some unlimited), and some restrict to one dine monthly. (A restaurant in my neighborhood just switched to once monthly after no day restrictions!)

Moral of the story: be aware you do not have credit card dupes in your dining programs, and occasionally drill down to restaurant level to determine which restrictions that restaurant imposes on rewards eligible dining.

Now - one CAN double dip! For example, use a Hilton AMEX card enrolled in the RN AAdvantage program and you can earn both HHonors points and AAdvantage miles. If you book it via an incentive booking organization like Open Table, you can triple dip and earn Open Table points as well. (We have a couple of Open Table 1,000 points places on the AAdvantage RN list and I really enjoy knowing I am earning rewards three ways. ^

Originally Posted by scokeski

Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Now - one CAN double dip! For example, use a Hilton AMEX card enrolled in the RN AAdvantage program and you can earn both HHonors points and AAdvantage miles. If you book it via an incentive booking organization like Open Table, you can triple dip and earn Open Table points as well. (We have a couple of Open Table 1,000 points places on the AAdvantage RN list and I really enjoy knowing I am earning rewards three ways. ^
Another way to double-dip on the iDine program is that some of the same restaurants also participate in Restaurant.com. (Usually local, non-chain restaurants that are trying to bring in customers.) Restaurant.com protip: only buy Restaurant.com certificates towards the end of the month when they are 80% off -- coming to ~$2 per coupon, IIRC. They do this annoying progression where they go full-price, 50% off, 70% off, 80% off, etc. each month. (Sign up for their emails so that you will be notified when the "sale" happens and so that you have the code for the sale -- easy to find anyway, but the e-mails save the time.) Note, though, that some of the more popular/expensive restaurants (e.g. French cuisine) limit Restaurant.com sales on a monthly basis, so you can only buy their certs at the beginning of the month at full price.... by the time the discounts hit, they are "sold out" for the month. Of course, using the certificate will lower your bill, and thus your miles earned -- but they can be pretty good deals.

Also note that there are always caveats to the Restaurant.com certificates which can make the deal less appealing. For example, many of them do not apply towards alcoholic beverages, and most apply an automatic gratuity before taking the discount. My favorite place (when I lived in the area) was a BBQ place with a $25 off $35 coupon. I could buy this coupon for $2 from Restaurant.com. My wife and I would eat together, and we would order an extra meal and an appetizer to get us over $35. With tax and gratuity we would usually end up paying in the $20 range, but we'd have an extra meal's worth of meat and sides to take home. We went there a lot. I didn't even realize that the restaurant also participated in AAdvantage dining until later when I saw the miles on my statement. Anyway, point is, read the fine print on Restaurant.com.

Last edited by badgerW; Sep 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hah! Read the fine print everywhere, every time! Thanks, badgerW.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:39 am

Am I correct assuming that IDine is another program under the RN like AAdvantage Dining or Rapid Rewards Dining and thus it would not be possible to enroll a card in more than one program?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Bachovas
Am I correct assuming that IDine is another program under the RN like AAdvantage Dining or Rapid Rewards Dining and thus it would not be possible to enroll a card in more than one program?
I believe IDine is the former name of the RewardsNetwork program.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
here is my tip since joining the rewards network...

1. So far..i have used my debit card on all of the programs...I just have to add it on whenever i want to use it for that specific program and have to make sure that its deleted on the other programs (so far its worked for 3 different programs)

2. I don't think it matters if the card is active or prepaid..the program just wants at least one card number in it..since if u don't use it then it doesn't get charged its doesn't matter if a prepaid card doesn't have money in it..

3. I use prepaid visa/amex cards to keep my rewards network programs i'm not working on active...

4. Tip for you newer users..next time American express small business saturday comes around be sure to start new programs and sign up for the bonuses..then use your amex small business saturday 25$ credit at a small business on the rewards network list...easy way to get the bonus without spending money...I would suggest 25$ gift cards
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
None of my friends have interest in FF miles or points.

That seems like it would be a hassle. I won't do it if it creates a problem for my friends.

I am in Manhattan and almost every block has a participating restaurant so finding a restaurant in the program wouldn't be a problem.
My friends do not collect miles/points and always allow me to pay the entire bill with my CC. Then they hand me the cash for their part of the bill. They have been doing this for years during our monthly steak and beer night. A few weeks ago for my birthday they treated me to a great Colombian dinner and allowed me to pay for it with my CC and gave me the cash. I earned 1000 miles and cash back without spending a dime!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.