Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Can I register one credit card for multiple dining programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
● One can register as many credit and debit cards as allowed to by Rewards Network AAdvantage dining, and earn points (even others' cards seem to do).

● One can not register one card for more than one program; if one does, the card will only work for one program.

● One earns all the miles and points due - e.g. Hilton HHonors Surpass earns 3 points per dollar spent, and an elite diner also earns five AA miles per dollar spent (including taxes and tip).
Print Wikipost

Can I register one credit card for multiple dining programs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Bonuses

Most of the iDine programs have a sign-on bonus. Join each one with a different credit card. You just have to dine within 30 days of registering but if they offer gift cards you can stretch that out.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Those are fine friends to have at a Rewards Network / xx Dining restaurant!

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
My friends do not collect miles/points and always allow me to pay the entire bill with my CC. Then they hand me the cash for their part of the bill. They have been doing this for years during our monthly steak and beer night. A few weeks ago for my birthday they treated me to a great Colombian dinner and allowed me to pay for it with my CC and gave me the cash. I earned 1000 miles and cash back without spending a dime!!!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by JDiver
Those are fine friends to have at a Rewards Network / xx Dining restaurant!
Yes, they are! That may change, however. They have asked me to help them understand FF programs and earning miles. If I give them the info, I may lower my FF totals and cause fights at the time to pay the bill.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, they are! That may change, however. They have asked me to help them understand FF programs and earning miles. If I give them the info, I may lower my FF totals and cause fights at the time to pay the bill.
They're each going to need 11 dines before it makes sense for them to fight over (more than a tiny fraction of) the bill. So you may have a little breathing room.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
They're each going to need 11 dines before it makes sense for them to fight over (more than a tiny fraction of) the bill. So you may have a little breathing room.
Very true. Tonight my friend had many more questions about FF miles because his wife wants to begin to earn "free" trips due to the downturn in the economy. My mile earning days may be coming to an end!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very true. Tonight my friend had many more questions about FF miles because his wife wants to begin to earn "free" trips due to the downturn in the economy. My mile earning days may be coming to an end!
I guess that depends on how much credit card spend you friend and his wife can do without counting dines. She can probably get 100k AA miles just for signing up "simultaneously" (in different kinds of browsers) for both the personal Visa and the personal Amex at away7.citicards.com, as long as she can manage $6k spend within 4 months. (Note: If they can't manage $12k spend together in 4 months, one should apply for both cards first, and then after the spend requirement is completed, only then should the other apply for both cards. Unfortunately, this specific offer may or may not still be available several months from now. OTOH, maybe an even better offer would be available?)

So then the question becomes is this amount of spend easy for them without dines (in which case the dines are relatively trivial), or do they have to put absolutely everything (including all these dines) on those cards to meet the spend requirement in time.

(While dining is a way to keep adding to a miles account, for those who have never had the credit cards -- or those who haven't churned in a couple years -- the credit card apps far outweigh what you can earn from day-to-day credit card spend or day-to-day dining in the short term. But these Citi AA card offers cannot be used more often than about every 20ish months, so in the long term they alone may not be enough, depending on how much someone wants to travel and where and in which cabin and with how much advance notice.)
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I guess that depends on how much credit card spend you friend and his wife can do without counting dines. She can probably get 100k AA miles just for signing up "simultaneously" (in different kinds of browsers) for both the personal Visa and the personal Amex at away7.citicards.com, as long as she can manage $6k spend within 4 months. (Note: If they can't manage $12k spend together in 4 months, one should apply for both cards first, and then after the spend requirement is completed, only then should the other apply for both cards. Unfortunately, this specific offer may or may not still be available several months from now. OTOH, maybe an even better offer would be available?)

So then the question becomes is this amount of spend easy for them without dines (in which case the dines are relatively trivial), or do they have to put absolutely everything (including all these dines) on those cards to meet the spend requirement in time.

(While dining is a way to keep adding to a miles account, for those who have never had the credit cards -- or those who haven't churned in a couple years -- the credit card apps far outweigh what you can earn from day-to-day credit card spend or day-to-day dining in the short term. But these Citi AA card offers cannot be used more often than about every 20ish months, so in the long term they alone may not be enough, depending on how much someone wants to travel and where and in which cabin and with how much advance notice.)
Thanks for the info. My friend says he will decide which program to join soon. I don't know if they will be obtaining FF CCs, but the info you listed above is great.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:16 pm

We'll hope 1) your friend is a procrastinator, 2) he will be antisocial and only go out with his wife once he does sign up, and 3) once he does he'll just lose interest.

Thanks for the info. My friend says he will decide which program to join soon. I don't know if they will be obtaining FF CCs, but the info you listed above is great.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
We'll hope 1) your friend is a procrastinator, 2) he will be antisocial and only go out with his wife once he does sign up, and 3) once he does he'll just lose interest.
LOL
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
"..and cause fights at the time to pay the bill."

You've apparently never seen the fireworks of a dozen FlyerTalkers around the same table!!
... we draw straws.

/.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty
"..and cause fights at the time to pay the bill."

You've apparently never seen the fireworks of a dozen FlyerTalkers around the same table!!
... we draw straws.

/.
Straws are better than pistols! I thought you were going to say you needed body armor.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:33 pm

That's interesting; when mine said "paid" I usually see them in my airline account.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

That's interesting; when mine said "paid" I usually see them in my airline account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.