FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rewards Network (formerly iDine) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rewards-network-formerly-idine-400/)
-   -   AA dining part of AA "30 deals" day 3 promo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rewards-network-formerly-idine/1208315-aa-dining-part-aa-30-deals-day-3-promo.html)

sdsearch Apr 22, 2011 11:12 am

AA dining part of AA "30 deals" day 3 promo

This isn't a pure AA dining promo, but AA dining is part of the AA "30 deals" (30th anniversary of AAdvantage) day 3 promo: Shop, Dine, Travel.

To earn 3000 bonus AA miles:

1. Go to the AA "30 deals" site (easy to find if you go to aa.com and just watch the rotating banner ads until the "30 years / 30 deals" one comes up, go "back" to day 3, enter your AAdvantage number and click Get Deal to register.

2. Spend $30 cumultaive on AA eShopping. That's the Shop part.

3. Spend $30 cumulative on AA dining. That's the Dine part.

4. Earn miles for a flight, parnter hotel stay, or partner car rental. That's the travel part.

All this needs to be completed in about 5 weeks.

In my case, I'm already AA dining more than that in a month anyway, so that part's "free". And I already happen to have two flights during this period, plus already was planning to do some BW stays with the bonus AA miles promo there, so either way that's "free". For me the only "work" will be figuring out something to actually want to buy on the AA eShoopping website! :)

Points Scrounger Apr 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 16263227)
This isn't a pure AA dining promo, but AA dining is part of the AA "30 deals" (30th anniversary of AAdvantage) day 3 promo: Shop, Dine, Travel.

To earn 3000 bonus AA miles:

1. Go to the AA "30 deals" site (easy to find if you go to aa.com and just watch the rotating banner ads until the "30 years / 30 deals" one comes up*, go "back" to day 3, enter your AAdvantage number and click Get Deal to register.

2. Spend $30 cumultaive on AA eShopping. That's the Shop part.

3. Spend $30 cumulative on AA dining. That's the Dine part.

4. Earn miles for a flight, partner hotel stay, or partner car rental. That's the travel part.

All this needs to be completed in about 5 weeks. (May 27)

In my case, I'm already AA dining more than that in a month anyway, so that part's "free". And I already happen to have two flights during this period, plus already was planning to do some BW stays with the bonus AA miles promo there, so either way that's "free". For me the only "work" will be figuring out something to actually want to buy on the AA eShoopping website! :)

* You don't actually have to wait, there's a small left arrow button to click to go back to that offer.

THANKS!

This one will work out quite well I think ...

1000 miles for $30 of cumulative dining: I need elite requal visits anyway, even if there's no actual RN promo at that time.

1000 miles for a cheap Hampton stay @ 100 miles (instead of 500-ish Hilton points + points) I've previously booked.

1000 shopping miles appears to include gift cert purchases - only wrinkle would be if there's only options for $50 as closest qualifying amount available. Even if there's a "shipping" fee for a cert, it earns 3 miles/dollar, which I'd consider an okay offset as part of this specific 3000 mile package.

(I've broken them down that way in my mind - I understand the 3000 will post as a lump sum later.)

KhalilSheikh Apr 23, 2011 1:54 am

This is one that I will definitely go after.
I wonder though if each of the three qualifying activities will easily be connected by AA once done...or will I have to fight for those 3K miles.

kebosabi Apr 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 16263227)
For me the only "work" will be figuring out something to actually want to buy on the AA eShoopping website! :)

Buy a $30 Best Western gift certificate through giftcertificates.com via the AA eShopping portal and apply that towards your next BW stay. ;)

jfadds May 21, 2011 2:54 pm

how do you interpret cumulative dining. if you spend $59- does the $29 carry over to the next dine?

Points Scrounger May 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jfadds (Post 16426603)
how do you interpret cumulative dining. if you spend $59- does the $29 carry over to the next dine?

Yes, it should. If you then spent another $12, you'd get another 300 bonus miles, and carry over $11.

KhalilSheikh May 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 16426697)
Yes, it should. If you then spent another $12, you'd get another 300 bonus miles, and carry over $11.

Good to know. ^
I erroneously assumed each individual dine had to meet those qualifications.

KhalilSheikh Jul 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Checking in on this one...

Has anyone's 3,000 miles posted yet?

Thanks.

sdsearch Jul 24, 2011 11:48 am

Originally Posted by KhalilSheikh (Post 16784832)
Has anyone's 3,000 miles posted yet?

Thanks.

It was discussed in the AA forum's 30 days thread, since it had to do with more than just dining (it was called "Shop, Dine, Travel"), and the shopping part was what held everything up.

As this series of posts there shows, people started seeing it on July 6:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16684634 starting at post 927

KhalilSheikh Jul 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 16788166)
It was discussed in the AA forum's 30 days thread, since it had to do with more than just dining (it was called "Shop, Dine, Travel"), and the shopping part was what held everything up.

As this series of posts there shows, people started seeing it on July 6:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16684634 starting at post 927

I saw that thread shortly after prematurely posting here.
I was starting to worry about the missing miles because I did all three qualifying activities shortly after the promotion was announced. The shopping portion is probably the reason my miles have not posted yet. That is, if they'll post at all. The purchases I made back then have not even posted at the shopping portal yet. :mad:

Points Scrounger Jul 25, 2011 5:13 pm

I have no idea when exactly the 3000 miles hit my account as I had to go back and see that they were (retroactively) posted for April 22 - the day I registered?

sdsearch Jul 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by KhalilSheikh (Post 16788655)
The shopping portion is probably the reason my miles have not posted yet. That is, if they'll post at all. The purchases I made back then have not even posted at the shopping portal yet. :mad:

Ouch, if you made the shopping purchase shortly after the promo was announced, IMHO you should have been checked the shopping portal as the promo was ending, and if your purchase wasn't showing yet then, should have considered making another purchase "just in case", this time with a merchant that other people report good success with.

In my case, it happened in the opposite order (lucky for me). I made my first shopping purchase late in the promo period, and when after a few days it hadn't shown up, I made a second purchase. (Luckly both things I wanted anyway.) Well, a day later my first purchase showed up, but my second (backup) purchase has never shown up (and I too wonder if it ever will).

In my case, the merchant that worked was Calumet Photo; the one that didn't work was Reader's Digest.

KhalilSheikh Jul 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 16797064)
Ouch, if you made the shopping purchase shortly after the promo was announced, IMHO you should have been checked the shopping portal as the promo was ending, and if your purchase wasn't showing yet then, should have considered making another purchase "just in case", this time with a merchant that other people report good success with.

In my case, it happened in the opposite order (lucky for me). I made my first shopping purchase late in the promo period, and when after a few days it hadn't shown up, I made a second purchase. (Luckly both things I wanted anyway.) Well, a day later my first purchase showed up, but my second (backup) purchase has never shown up (and I too wonder if it ever will).

In my case, the merchant that worked was Calumet Photo; the one that didn't work was Reader's Digest.

Thanks for the response. I regularly purchase through the portal and I've come to discover as you also probably have that the speed at which the purchase posts depends on the merchant. I had the bad fortune of making two purchases during the promotion period with merchants I never tested before: Design Within Reach and Rosetta Stone. The DWR confirmation showed up in the portal after some back-and-forth emails. Emailed them tonight about the Rosetta Stone purchase. We'll see what happens, hopefully things will link up and I'll get my 3K bonus!

biggreen Aug 9, 2011 10:55 am

I also had trouble with this promotion owing to the shopping portal. In the end I made three shopping purchases (two as backups). Only one purchase has shown up after I made separate inquiries to eshopping about each one. [I sure do hate the eshopping portal.] After my shopping credit belatedly posted I emailed AA customer service about the deal. They retroactively posted my 3000 bonus within the next few days.