FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rewards Network (formerly iDine) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rewards-network-formerly-idine-400/)
-   -   new UAL Mileage Plus Dining "Twice as Nice" bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rewards-network-formerly-idine/1168220-new-ual-mileage-plus-dining-twice-nice-bonus.html)

zender Jan 4, 2011 7:33 pm

new UAL Mileage Plus Dining "Twice as Nice" bonus

I searched and didn't see mention of the new Mileage Plus double miles "Twice as Nice" bonus for January and February. Details are:

Mileage PlusŪ award miles are so nice because you can earn them twice!

You can earn double award miles for up to two months when you dine at program locations. Online Members will earn 6 miles per dollar, and VIP

Members will earn a whopping 10 miles per dollar!

Here's how to get down with double:
1 Register for the Twice as Nice Bonus.*
2 Dine at participating restaurants, bars or clubs in January and February 2011.
3 Complete your dining surveys within 30 days of each visit.
4 Earn double award miles!

christianj Jan 5, 2011 8:43 am

Saw this yesterday too and it comes in handy for me since January is busy travel time for me. The promo was mentioned in the Master Bonus thread that's a Sticky:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/idine...onuses-44.html

demkr Jan 6, 2011 11:23 am

Lovely. Nothing of the sort from AA.

zender Jan 6, 2011 12:22 pm

Other than the weekday double miles bonus last year ('all double no trouble'?) I can't recall a bonus shared between AA and UAL. Can you?

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 15597036)
Lovely. Nothing of the sort from AA.

demkr Jan 7, 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by zender (Post 15597547)
Other than the weekday double miles bonus last year ('all double no trouble'?) I can't recall a bonus shared between AA and UAL. Can you?

Not sure cause I haven't checked MPDining in a while. But I think typically they'd match eachother in a promo that's at least similar. AA not offering anything atm, but am still hopeful. Seems the # of dines to maintain VIP status is lower this year. Rewardsnetwork must not be doing so well

NJUPINTHEAIR Jan 8, 2011 2:47 am

I would not be surprised to see similar promotions unveiled around 1/15/11.

sdsearch Jan 9, 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 15604076)
Not sure cause I haven't checked MPDining in a while. But I think typically they'd match eachother in a promo that's at least similar.

Well, you'd think wrong. As someone who collects AA (primary) but also UA, DL, and AS miles through diining when the bonuses are better there, I can tell you that I racked up oodles of UA dining miles last year (even as I was working toward AA 2MM!) so that must mean there was a good UA bonus at a time when there was either no AA bonus or a much smaller AA bonus. (IIRC, in this case it was a UA bonus on top of Mon/Tue/Wed, while AA only had Mon/Tue/Wed at that time.)

And I remember that being a pattern year after year: I've been able to earn in most of these airlines at one time or another during bonuses that weren't being match at the same time at AA, or else the variation at AA was capped and I was able to go on to another airline after I passed the AA cap. (For example, I earned both one Merry Birthday Bonus at AA and one Merry Birthday Bonus at UA last year. You can only earn one per airline per year, but if you belong to both you can earn it at both.)

The big exception (and it was essentially single promo but it ran for an extremely long time) was the Mon/Tue/Wed bonus, which was available at many airlines.

But the other, shorter term promos, they are at least as often not shared as they are shared, and even on those occasions where they seem to be shared often there are quite different terms for one airline versus another.

demkr Jan 11, 2011 10:28 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 15610064)
I would not be surprised to see similar promotions unveiled around 1/15/11.

Hmm, ok, I'll be waiting!

NJUPINTHEAIR Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 15634348)
Hmm, ok, I'll be waiting!

Delta just unveiled one, so AA likely will not be far behind. Certainly by 2/1/11, I would think as they all tend to cluster promotions when offered, although based on past experience, AA has offered the most, even when others are silent.

jaynyc Jan 21, 2011 9:21 am

Originally Posted by zender (Post 15584493)
You can earn double award miles for up to two months when you dine at program locations. Online Members will earn 6 miles per dollar, and VIP

Members will earn a whopping 10 miles per dollar!!

For some reason I have been getting ONE mile per dollar. And I am at the VIP level. Did I miss some announcement that it is no longer worthwhile to visit their restaurants? :confused:

sdsearch Jan 23, 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jaynyc (Post 15704563)
For some reason I have been getting ONE mile per dollar. And I am at the VIP level. Did I miss some announcement that it is no longer worthwhile to visit their restaurants? :confused:

Do you have a valid email registered with them? If they find no email, or an email that doesn't work, as the email address that's registered for the program, they will downgrade you to 1 mile/$ (but they should also then not show you as VIP any more, I would think).

At any rate, you should call them up (ie, talk to a live human, definitely do not email!) and ask them if they see a problem like this (or some other) with your account.

jaynyc Jan 24, 2011 3:34 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 15716984)
Do you have a valid email registered with them? If they find no email, or an email that doesn't work, as the email address that's registered for the program, they will downgrade you to 1 mile/$ (but they should also then not show you as VIP any more, I would think).

At any rate, you should call them up (ie, talk to a live human, definitely do not email!) and ask them if they see a problem like this (or some other) with your account.

Thanks. I found that I am getting only 1 mile per $ on both my UA and AA accounts. Have had VIP status for years and my e-mail accounts have not changed. Will give them a call.

NCommander Jan 27, 2011 4:06 pm

So I've done two dines as an onlinemember since this bonus began, the base miles posted at 3/$, but I haven't seen the rest. Any idea when those will post?

sdsearch Jan 28, 2011 9:27 am

Originally Posted by NCommander (Post 15749590)
So I've done two dines as an onlinemember since this bonus began, the base miles posted at 3/$, but I haven't seen the rest. Any idea when those will post?

Have you reviewed the dines? Remember, the bonus requires you to review each dine, not just do it.

Having said that, even with my reviews, the bonuses are not posting on the schedule that they did during previous review-qualfied bonuses (such as the Mon/Tue/Wed bonus last year). Then, they'd post the following mid-week if the review was done before the weekend, otherwise it'd take an extra week. But I'm now more than two weeks since my first review, and still haven't seen anything. So it's obviously working differently this time.

jaynyc Jan 29, 2011 10:13 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 15716984)

As it turns out ALL my accounts (AA, DL, UA) reverted to 1 mile per dollar. I finally got through to someone at Aadvantage Dining. 3 e-mails in a row were returned to them as SPAM. They then changed me from VIP to 1 mile per dollar.

As I said to the rep, how was I supposed to know that the e-mails bounced? They are quick to post e-mails insided your account for rewards and signing on to promotions. But they don't send a note (inside your account) if e-mails bounce and your status will be changed.

Aadvantage dining had me fill out a form, sign it and fax it to them to saying I approve receiving their e-mails. I did so, and to be safe, changed my e-mail address on file. They restored my VIP status. Mileage Plus Dining is another story. After e-mail exchanges, they moved me to 3 miles per dollar (I had been VIP for many years). Subsequent e-mails to restore my VIP status have fallen on deaf ears. Since AA is my preferred mileage collection, I sent an e-mail informing Mileage Plus Dining that I have suspended participation in their program because of their indifference towards my situation.