FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rewards Network (formerly iDine) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rewards-network-formerly-idine-400/)
-   -   Increase in 1 reward per month limitation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rewards-network-formerly-idine/1128695-increase-1-reward-per-month-limitation.html)

blakeIV Sep 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Increase in 1 reward per month limitation?

Sorry, if this is a repeat. Did not see it addressed.

My 2 most frequented establishments both switched to 1 reward per month this summer (yes, I am just now noticing). Very disappointing! I work late and would volunteer my business Amex to buy dinner for the group. We spend about $100 per night and I would get 500 points with nothing out of pocket, even before bonuses. Well worth the trouble of a 1 minute expense report for app. 500 miles. I was doing this at least 4 times per month as recently as Spring 2010 with no limits.

Has anyone else seen a rise of this limitation? Obviously, I will not be frequenting these establishments as much in the future. I will actually return to ordering from the restaurants with the best food!!!! Unfortunately, my office is only by a couple of AA dine establishments :{

sdsearch Sep 21, 2010 8:06 pm

As I've mentioned before, 1/month seem to be clustered in certain areas. Quite likely some reps pitch it, others don't. (I have a lot of RN restaurants near where I live, and at least a third of them seem to 1/month. I also have a lot of RN restaurants reasonably near where I work, which is quite a ways from where I live, and I haven't found a 1/month near work for a long time.)

But before you lament: I think a lot of restaurants go to 1/month only because they're counter-pitched that (and other limitations, such as excluding busiest days of the week) when they ask to drop out completely, as means of keeping them in, but not making them liable for that much money to RN.

So it could be that if they hadn't switched, they would have completely left. Would that really have been better?

Keep in mind also that 1/month is just 1/month per program. I don't know what programs you belong to beyond AA (which has a dining program) and SPG (which doesn't), but in my case I collect miles with AA, UA, DL, and AS and use all those dining programs. (I also collect credits with WN but don't use their dining program. US also has a program but I don't collect miles with them.) I also collect hotel points with Priority Club and belong to their dining program (though due to few bonuses rarely use it), and I also collect hotel points with Hilton HHonors, but I haven't joined their (relatively new) dining program. So I could dine at a 1/month restaurant five times a month, crediting alternately to AA, UA, DL, AS, and PC, to earn miles or points at that one restaurant five times a month.

Also keep in mind that it's also 1/month per account. So if you have a Signficant Other who collects points or miles, you can link one of your cards to their account and earn (into their account) on an extra visit that way. (RN doesn't check whether a card you register belongs to you or not. So you can register your card in your SO's account.)

blakeIV Sep 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Thank you for the fantastic reply. I swiched a couple of cards to my wife's aa dine account and was able to get a 2nd dine this month at my favorite lunch place. (Too bad I didn't find this thread earlier in the 500 new dine bonus program!)

Just today, my favorite Italian restaurant near work joined the dine program. With unlimited visits!!! Looks like I will get my share of pasta next busy season!!!!!!

satman40 Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

I lost out on 1000 miles, didn't spend the 25 so now we do the giftcard, one of our places has been doing the once a month game...so we us UA AA and then hers AA UA, and soon Delta...miles chasing can be habit forming...