Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double dipping - allowed? How?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Double dipping - allowed? How?

I assume you can not double dipping on rewards network, right? I mean you can not spend $25 and score 1500 miles on both AA or US as first timer (1000 first time + 500 for hopping).

It's obvious but I just didn't find the confirmation yet.

Please confirm. TIA.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by spacehawk
I assume you can not double dipping on rewards network, right? I mean you can not spend $25 and score 1500 miles on both AA or US as first timer (1000 first time + 500 for hopping).

It's obvious but I just didn't find the confirmation yet.

Please confirm. TIA.
At this moment only AA has the 500 bonus miles for "Hopping." AA's bonus ends Sept. 30. The same promo with US ended Aug. 31.

You would have been able to earn the bonus miles in both programs but you would have had to do two seperate dines and spend $25 each time. Dine one with a US and dine two with AA.

Remember that not every airline program has the same promos and bonuses.

Last edited by Open Jaw; Sep 17, 2010 at 11:40 pm
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the info.

How do they tracking this between two airline programs under their network? You need to register 2 credit cards, one for aa and one for us, right?

In other words, if i register the same cc with aa, it will void this card registration with us program? Correct?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by spacehawk
Thank you for the info.

How do they tracking this between two airline programs under their network? You need to register 2 credit cards, one for aa and one for us, right?

In other words, if i register the same cc with aa, it will void this card registration with us program? Correct?
Actually once you register a cc with US, RN won't let you register it with AA. You need to delete it from your US account and then you can register with another airline RN program. Got it? No double dip.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Moreover, if you only have one card linked to a partner, you cannot move it all, period. You need to either add a second (placeholder) card first to free up the desired card, or call RN to have your account closed permanently (if that's what
you intend).
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

I got it. So the unique id is the your credit number which is in turn associated with one specific FFN dining program. In this sense, there is no double dipping.

However, I guess if card #1 is registered with AA idine and card #2 is registered with US idine, then you can achieve double dipping if you can split your bill into two payment on two cards. Of course, is not in term of dollar/miles, but the meal will count toward 12 counts need for 5% status.

Thank you very much for the enlightening here
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've found waitstaff are quite sympathetic to a request of "Could I run separate tabs for the alcohol and food?" to get in the 11 dines on the same partner faster; they assume you'll only be submitting the food receipt for reimbursement if you present the same card for both charges.

A reminder that a joint with a one-visit-per-month restriction means per partner, so if you don't think you'll be back again that month, you can split the tab between two programs for a "dining credit" each.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the clarification :-)

Another question:

I registered for UA MP dining long time but never used it at all. So I am not considered new to qualify for once a while 1000 initial bonus. Can I call to cancel and re-qualify for initial bonus later when it's available? How do they handle this kind of conditions? TIA.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I've found waitstaff are quite sympathetic to a request of "Could I run separate tabs for the alcohol and food?" to get in the 11 dines on the same partner faster; they assume you'll only be submitting the food receipt for reimbursement if you present the same card for both charges.

A reminder that a joint with a one-visit-per-month restriction means per partner, so if you don't think you'll be back again that month, you can split the tab between two programs for a "dining credit" each.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My recent experience was of registering one RN credit program that was already registered with another RN program; I received a notice that my card was now registered for the "new" program and because it had been registered with a previous program it would not longer work with that previous program. (The "old" program still had one card registered to earn.)

If I wished to double dip I would merely use one card ("old" for part of the bill - bill-splitting, drinks alone, dessert and digestif, or whatever) and the other card for the bill split or for the other part(s) of the meal. Many restaurants are comfortable with bill splitting, and this is just another form of that - and in fact Lady JDiver and I have split the bill (two discrete card numbers, registered appropriately,) when dining out so we can both earn some miles and the 500 AA "Restaurant Hopping" miles, iirc.

In our case, made easier by having a primary and secondary AMEX Surpass card, which issues separate numbers to members, in our case earn HHonors miles for a jointly-held Mutual Fund account - though only one of us earns the OpenTable booking points (but then again, we both use the resultant checks).
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by JDiver
....though only one of us earns the OpenTable booking points (but then again, we both use the resultant checks).
Heck, if you were a true points nut, you and your wife would book and dine AT SEPARATE TABLES so that each of you could earn OpenTable points as well as split each of your two meals between two cards, etc.

(Of course, I'm only joking -- NOT advocating fraud or violation of program rules....)
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ell said, heh, heh! That's like our local restaurant (near where we live) where they offer one bottle of wine at half price "per table" Wednesdays. Amazing how many folks get seated, order and "Oh, hey, look, it's Jim and Dot, our friends! Let's go join 'em!" Yeah, after they order and get their wine... (Only wish it were an RN restaurant, and they quit playing games.)

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Heck, if you were a true points nut, you and your wife would book and dine AT SEPARATE TABLES so that each of you could earn OpenTable points as well as split each of your two meals between two cards, etc.

(Of course, I'm only joking -- NOT advocating fraud or violation of program rules....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.