Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > iDine/Rewards Network
Reload this Page >

Can one earn miles using a prepaid debit card?

Old Apr 26, 10, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I recently recieved a $100 prepaid Visa Debit card and was able to add the number to the Restaurant Rewards website. If I use it at a participating restaurant, will I have any trouble earning miles?
Old Apr 27, 10, 9:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We'll see if anyone has experience with that. IMO (only) if it's registerable, it should fly.
Old Apr 28, 10, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Yes, it worked for me. I got a Mastercard loaded with $200 from my bank as part of a promotion. I registered the card, and used it for dining, and got the points.
Old May 7, 10, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
FYI
The visa cards from rebates such as Staples Rewards also work when you just need a spend and survey bonus. They are usually for less than $20 and when down to a few bucks you can call in and get a check mailed to you.

JudyJFLA
Old Jun 26, 10, 10:56 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
and a reminder - -

if you find yourself with multiple RN accounts, but not enuf real CCs to go around .. these prepay/debit-card numbers make excellent 'place-holders', even when expired.
Old Jul 8, 10, 10:11 pm

If prepaid debit cards can earn points for purchases, whats preventing people from using prepaid debit cards to purchase prepaid debit cards of the same value (or is there a surcharge associated with purchasing the card?)
Old Jul 28, 10, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Three years ago I received a $50 AMEX gift card from a promo that I saw on FT (I believe it was test drive a vehicle, get $50 AMEX gift card or so).

Had no problem registering the card on RN. I paid for the restaurant bill totalling exactly $50 with taxes and tip and got the credit as any other card.
Old Jul 28, 10, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by ccb056 View Post
If prepaid debit cards can earn points for purchases, whats preventing people from using prepaid debit cards to purchase prepaid debit cards of the same value (or is there a surcharge associated with purchasing the card?)
I know AMEX cards have an additional fee beyond face value.

Search this Thread