Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

I feel bad paying for a sandwich, pizza slice or taco with my credit card, but...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I feel bad paying for a sandwich, pizza slice or taco with my credit card, but...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club

...from what I understand from this board, it's still helping the establishment to pay down its loan. And they don't state a minimum purchase.

Any comments on the economics of buying a sandwich with a RN credit card? Or to put a finer point to it, a taco?

Your opinion?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Many RN joints have minimum credit card charges ($10 usually).

I had a bartender once refuse a card for a $4 beer: "Management wants a $5 minimum (no posted sign)." I replied, "It'll be $5 with a $1 tip." He ran it, but it came through as $4.00 in the end.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: Delta-Southwest-united
there should be no limit when a using credit card at any establishments is what i was told by a manager. The restaurant could lose the ability to accept cc.....So next time you get any grief-just offer to report them!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firewind
...from what I understand from this board, it's still helping the establishment to pay down its loan. And they don't state a minimum purchase.

Any comments on the economics of buying a sandwich with a RN credit card? Or to put a finer point to it, a taco?

Your opinion?
McDonalds switched to taking credit cards as soon as they found that with new technology it was faster than accepting cash. The average RN restaurant is not as obsessed with payment speed as McDonalds, but the point is that McDonalds didn't care that people buy cheap sandwiches with credit cards, they only cared whether it was speed-efficient.

What's the cost of a sandwich compared to a USA Today? I buy one at 7-11s with a credit card all the time (I get 4+ UA miles/dollar that way, so I never pay cash at a gas/grocery/drug if I can help it, no matter what the amount). They used to balk at some locations when it was 50c, but when it went up to 75c (it's now $1) they stopped ever complaining.

The point is that the cost of food is pretty nebulous at restaurants. It's been "rounded" by much more than the credit card processing fee.

And I dine at some RN restaurants where the average item is under $5, and yet they not only take credit cards, but take ones like Amex that charge a higher processing fee! Most restaurants that take credit cards realize that some customers won't eat places where they can't pay with plastic (for a variety of reasons, not just FTers). And unlike Arco, restaurants in the US don't seem to have the technology (or is interest?) to say "debit only".
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If a restaurant accepts credit cards and you use cash, you're subsidizing everyone else's points and miles.

If there's a CC accepted at all, I'm using a CC.

I look at it this way: for a generic fast food restaurant, if one chain took CC's and one did not, I'd never set foot in the one that did not. Therefore, I don't feel "guilty" using my CC at any of them, now that they all accept cards.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Well I can never just have one slice or one taco so I never feel badly for using a CC.

One time this guy started to yell because I paid for my burgers with CC. I told him that my CC bill helps me keep track of all my spending, and that I earn enough FF miles to fly to Mexico in business class every year for "FREE".
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My normal fix is the "mileage burrito" at a Qdoba knockoff, ~$8 with drink. I have no problem swiping for that amount. The place also does a AAA discount, I have not combined that with RN, yet.

Restaurants have perishable inventory and the places on RN are likely to be low volume. Most are also medicore and would not see us if not for the miles. It is better for them to get some revenue for that product than not sell it and have it go bad.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And I dine at some RN restaurants where the average item is under $5, and yet they not only take credit cards,
I to dine at one or two RN places where the average item is a few dollars. Low cost way of achieving VIP status.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I agree with some of the statements made here - if they agree to take credit cards, I am happy to use my credit card. We're not in Japan, we're in the USA.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:56 pm

I'm laughing along with this thread.

Yesterday, I tried a Qdoba for the first time ever (only because it was listed in RN) and bought a steak taco for $2.29. I quickly calculated that I could renew VIP status for about $27.50.

Of course the bigger question is whether or not my stomach can endure 11 more of those little suckers.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Talking

Nobody ever said you have to eat it...
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
With a handle like yours, I'd guess you did.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, the merchant has chosen to accept credit cards and factored that into the margins. I am happy to oblige.

Originally Posted by Firewind
Nobody ever said you have to eat it...
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Guess I opened to that. <<<.....
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Don't you guys ever run into joints with cc minimums? Those and surcharges seem rampant these days!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Don't you guys ever run into joints with cc minimums? Those and surcharges seem rampant these days!
Can you describe what you mean by this? This isn't a challenge -- I really don't know what you mean. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.