Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I "circled back" but was blocked

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I "circled back" but was blocked

I've moved credit cards around RewardsNetwork from program to program to pick up the bonuses. (I actually keep one in AAdvantage for the RN status.) I recently tried to move my Chase M+ Visa from the USAir to the United program. I got, in red, that I'd already used that number, and was blocked. The number at issue was my M+ number, not the credit card one. If this were true, it was years ago, because I can't ever remember attaching either card to "Mileage Plus" Dining. So one of the reasons for putting "circled back" in quotes in the title is that I didn't even know that I was.

I've participated in discussions on this board about moving cards around. Two questions: Are the sages chuckling because you already knew that "you can't go back"? Or conversely, do you know better in the opposite direction, and I should forge on -- as in, calling UA Dining? (Actually this one is the 1,000 miles offered by Chase. ...And it says enrollment has to be through the portal.) Thank you.

(I also saw, as I said when reporting the Chase M+ credit card United Dining 1,000 mile bonus in the sticky thread above, that the promo page says, "As a Chase Cardmember, you're already automatically enrolled in Mileage Plus Dining, earning 1 mile per dollar..." etc. I wonder if this - however far back - knocked me out.)
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Firewind
I got, in red, that I'd already used that number, and was blocked. The number at issue was my M+ number, not the credit card one. If this were true, it was years ago, because I can't ever remember attaching either card to "Mileage Plus" Dining. So one of the reasons for putting "circled back" in quotes in the title is that I didn't even know that I was.
I bolded that sentence because I don't understand exactly what happened to you - what's the difference between your "M+ number" and "the credit card one"?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Sorry. I didn't get notice of your comment... What I meant was that they wouldn't let me re-use the 11-digit number that's on my 1K card. The issue was not that I'd used my 16-digit credit card number before, in the UA or any other dining program. Upon completing the Enrollment page, and clicking "continue>>", I get it again with this in red:

! ERROR: The Mileage Plus® Number you selected has already been used. Please try again.
I've never enrolled, or used it (or either of my credit cards), in Mileage Plus Dining before.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sounds like some sort of bug/glitch - you'll need to call to find out details.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Unhappy No circling back

I called. No go. Turns out that the record shows that I "closed" my Mileage Plus Dining account back in 2004. That must have been when I deliberately enrolled in AAdvantage Dining. I know I never deliberately enrolled in the M+ Dining. So, what I'm also saying is that that "automatic" enrollment in M+ Dining when you first get a Chase M+ Visa, that I mentioned above, effectively knocks you out of ever getting an enrollment bonus under the M+ dining program.

Oh well.

Addendum: FWIW, parsing this one a little further, this "Jet Setter Bonus" is actually for setting up a profile, not for joining per se...

http://mpdining.rewardsnetwork.com/b...ve.offers.4.09

So, says I: Self, enroll over the phone, and come back and set up a profile. Enrolled over the phone. (Moved my card over from Dividend Dining.) Came back to set up a profile. No. So, strictly speaking, it's possible to circle back, but not to get a bonus when you do so. Not with M+ Dining.

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 21, 2009 at 10:49 am
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now (I think) I get it!

You can't close an account, and re-open one for the same airline FF#?

Makes sense - otherwise they'd be handing out "new member" promo miles like Halloween candy.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You can't close an account, and re-open one for the same airline FF#?

Makes sense - otherwise they'd be handing out "new member" promo miles like Halloween candy.
Right, but insert the part about moving a credit card to another dining program for its enrollment bonus in the meantime. So not just "an open and shut case" . I thought I'd seen elsewhere on this board that people have circled back to a program they'd been enrolled in previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.