Search

Iberia Points to American Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Iberia Points to American Airlines

Hi -

I did not see a sticky and could not find on either companies website.

I was wondering what the point transfer ratio is from Iberia to AA. I would like to fly AA from the Miami to Buenos Aires. Do I even need to transfer or can I just book directly on AA?

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: IB Platinum, LH FF, JK Gold, FB Plat, PC Plat/IC Amb, Hertz #1 PC
There is a points table on iberia.com, go to Iberia plus-partners-flights-oneworld and you'll find a redemption table based on flight mileage, note that IB is charging nowadays fuel surcharge for OW operated flights, also you can check availability trough website login into your account and going to points redemption area
Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by jwurz
Do I even need to transfer or can I just book directly on AA?
AFAIK transfer out of Iberia into another scheme is simply not an option.
[Most european schemes are like this - it is surprising that other airlines elsewhere allow it.]

If the points are in Iberia Plus you will redeem them with Iberia (for a booking on AA flights).
The rates that apply for the redemption are those on IB's website (for a redemption on AA). AA's own rates don't have any bearing on anything here.

If, although it sounds unlikely, these flights have only just been credited to IB Plus VERY recently you could try asking them to credit them to your AA scheme account instead. Although what you would earn from the flights would different too (as it would be AAs earning rules)!

Last edited by David-A; Nov 25, 2008 at 5:28 pm
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Hi -

I attempted to book via Iberia, but when I called the reservations number based in the USA they told me that award tickets could only be booked over the phone from their Spanish office, and that I would need to call the number in Spain. Is this correct?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:31 am
Original Poster

*BUMP
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:18 am
Original Poster

I am trying to book an Iberia award ticket. Is there a number in the US I can call or do I have to call the number in Spain.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:44 am

What happened when you tried to book the award online? Is your flight not showing up or something?

I know this might sound dumb, but did you try calling back and asking another agent? 1-800-772-4642
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

When I tried to book online EZE was not listed as a destination on Iberia's website.

Yeah- I think I will try calling back. This agent did not know anything... she even said that I could not transfer AMEX points into Iberia.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:27 am
Original Poster

I emailed them, and I am waiting to hear back. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.