Ib6170 lax - mad

Old May 22, 2024, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Ib6170 lax - mad

WTH is going on? It was cancelled yesterday 5/21 and it aborted today 5/22. Apparently boarded and taxied and sat for an hour and went back to a gate.
Old May 23, 2024, 1:14 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
The 6170 was cancelled on 21 May because the incoming flight was cancelled too – the frame assigned to it (EC-MXV) was reassigned to Miami. Presumably another aircraft went tech.

I'm assuming a similar fate has befallen EC-NIS.

Edit to add: IB on Twitter seems to suggest that EC-NIS did indeed go tech at LAX. Two lots of EC261 compensation for anyone booked on the cancelled 21 May and rebooked onto the 22 May…
csycsycsy likes this.

Last edited by chacor; May 23, 2024 at 1:49 am
Old May 23, 2024, 2:00 am

Programs: AA lft PLT 2.2MM, Marriott Plt
Complete shitshow, I was on this flight, everyone was sent to local hotel with vouchers, no flights available on iberia. Ground crew rebooked me lax-lhr on virgin, the lhr-mad with layover in madrid getting to my final destination EAS saturday, 2 days late
Old May 23, 2024, 7:07 am
Original Poster

So you guys taxi to runway and turn around and go back to gate or what? What did it do on the ground for an hour before turning back to the gate?
Old May 23, 2024, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by cdl1012
So you guys taxi to runway and turn around and go back to gate or what? What did it do on the ground for an hour before turning back to the gate?
flight was 40 minutes late arriving. Boarded about 50 minutes late uneventfully. Pulled out onto the taxi way about an hour late then sat for 2 hours while they waited for a mechanic. At about 9 they cancelled the flight for safety protocol.

we then were let out at accessory terminal in the back, boarded buses back to TBIT and given vouchers for hotel and dinner.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:51 am

Interestingly, we were rebooked by airport control and not Iberia. Leaving tonight on virgin to lax then Madrid on IB on the late flight . Connection to EAS Saturday. I guess I overnight in MAD
Old May 23, 2024, 12:00 pm

I'm not sure what Iberia's level of staffing at most non-Spanish airports is. It's more or less none even at LHR (they just use BA staff), so I'm not shocked that at an outstation with 5 weekly flights where they've outsourced it somewhere else that they weren't involved in the rebooking process.

Hopefully you get to your destination without further issues and get original routing credit (if not an award ticket) as necessary.
Old May 23, 2024, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by chacor
I'm not sure what Iberia's level of staffing at most non-Spanish airports is. It's more or less none even at LHR (they just use BA staff), so I'm not shocked that at an outstation with 5 weekly flights where they've outsourced it somewhere else that they weren't involved in the rebooking process.

Hopefully you get to your destination without further issues and get original routing credit (if not an award ticket) as necessary.
thanks. The ground crew was actually great considering. Very true about 5 weekly flights. There is no margin for error. This flight was apparently cancelled 2 days in a row
Old May 23, 2024, 8:59 pm

Programs: QR Silv,Sixt Plat
I was on yesterday's flight. And I'm just seeing EC-NIS is about to take off to Madrid as IBE0032, empty im guessing.

had a premium economy first row seat and now I'm re-booked in economy with AA going through ORD and then to Mad... Unacceptable.

Never had this happen, I understand that these things happen (technical failures), but getting re-booked from a direct flight to one with stops and on a different class makes no sense whatsoever.

And another thing that bothers me, on IB system the flight is showing as Diverted. Are we saying that going from the gate to the remote stand is a diversion?

Last edited by netlord; May 23, 2024 at 9:37 pm
Old May 24, 2024, 2:14 am

You should have a claim under EC261 for the downgrade and the delay, at least. And also ORC if applicable.

The diversion status is certainly one way to describe the flight.
Old May 24, 2024, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by chacor
You should have a claim under EC261 for the downgrade and the delay, at least. And also ORC if applicable.

The diversion status is certainly one way to describe the flight.
Ive already made a claim for the cancelled flight, should I make a separate one for the downgrade?
Old May 24, 2024, 7:08 am

I believe advice in the BA forum when this happens and someone gets downgraded on a reroute with AA is to put them on the same claim, failing which it's better to make the second claim before the first is finalised in case it gets filed together.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:24 pm

And the adventure continues, the rebooked flight was delayed so I wasn't making my connecting flight so I was advised to uncheck and unload the bag.

Spent half an hour with customer service as they were telling me no seats in my class until June, and that they didn't know how they had booked me in a lower class in the first place. Magically a seat for Sunday's direct flt appeared after I demanded supervisor intervention, so back in PE
Old May 29, 2024, 7:12 am

Not 100% clear yet, but it seems they are arguing this was a diversion (so they don't have to pay a cent)
If the aircraft doesn't leave the tarmac and goes from the boarding gate, to ramp, to a remote stand can you consider that a diversion and not a cancellation??
Old May 29, 2024, 7:58 am
Original Poster

What a bunch of knobs arguing semantics. Plane never even left the airport, probably didnt even touch the runway.
JessicaB likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.