Luggage allowance MAD-DOH Business?

Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Luggage allowance MAD-DOH Business?

Would appreciate any help with figuring out luggage allowance since I've seen different conflicting info from multiple pages on Iberia and from a agent on the phone. MAD-DOH.

I'm traveling on a RTW booked through AA, with an IB flight #. Business class (D ticket) and I'm OWE (through QR). Do I get 3 checked bags up to 32 kg? While online shows 23 kg, it also shows no extra charge for excess weight up to 32 kg if traveling in business. Also can't get my seat issued for free online.

My fiancee is traveling in business on a BA issued award ticket. She only gets 1 checked bag? No extra charge for excess weight up to 32kg?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
https://www.iberia.com/es/luggage/al...aggages-search

The easiest answer is that you do NOT get excess weight - that only applies to IB, BA and AA elites.

The trickier part is the number of pieces since fare codes don't directly transfer across to Iberia's classification system. The most likely answer is that you partner gets 1 checked bag and you get 1 checked bag from your fare and 2 more from your Emerald status.

It's a well-known glitch regarding seat selection on Iberia. Some people have success via Royal Jordanian, Finnair or Malaysia. Search the IB board for more details.
chacor likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:52 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
IB's online seat selection is notoriously bad - Reward flight booking in IB/IBE - seat selection still free? - you'll want to double check on the RJ or MH manage booking tools to see if you're able to select a seat for free.

Edit to add: The following is in my reading of the conditions, but as craigthemif and OP themself point out, it's not entirely clear to what each condition on the IB website refers.

Yes, there is no excess weight charge in Business up to 32kg for your first bag.

The Business extra bag (capped at 23kg) depends on the fare class. Lowest Business (ptima) gets only one checked bag. OWS gets an extra bag; OWE gets two. OWS do not get extra weight unless they are IB+ OWS; OWEs on QR do not get extra weight: El sobrepeso de hasta 32Kg por maleta solo aplica a Iberia Plus infinita Prime, Infinita, Singular y Platino y Emerald de American Airlines y British Airways. Para Emerald del resto de compaas oneworld tienen beneficio de una pieza adicional (23 kg).

Last edited by chacor; Apr 3, 2024 at 2:07 am
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The easiest answer is that you do NOT get excess weight - that only applies to IB, BA and AA elites.
I believe this only applies to the extra bags?

This suggests no fee in Business for the first bag regardless of FFP.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chacor
I believe this only applies to the extra bags?

This suggests no fee in Business for the first bag regardless of FFP.
Obviously the IB website is indeed confusing. But the section on luggage allowance - the link I provided - is much clearer about the fact that the exceptions to the weight policy are for elites only.

(1) Overweight baggage up to 32 kg per bag only applies to Iberia Plus Infinita Prime, Infinita, Singular and Platino cardholders, and Emerald cardholders with American Airlines and British Airways. Emerald cardholders with all other oneworld airlines are already entitled to an additional bag (23 kg).
njfan07 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Obviously the IB website is indeed confusing. But the section on luggage allowance - the link I provided - is much clearer about the fact that the exceptions to the weight policy are for elites only.
I think I see the issue I'm reading the section on sobrepasos as relating to the extra piece, rather than as a standalone benefit.

If the former, my reading would be correct; clearly in the latter (which I suspect is the actual case), your reading is and OP doesn't get free excess weight.
njfan07 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:33 am
Original Poster

craigthemif and chacor - thanks for your replies. I'm flying in 2 weeks and will update what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.