Upgrade Avios Redemption

Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Upgrade Avios Redemption

Flying on an Iberia Avios redemption MAD-ORD later this week, in Economy/Turista as that has been the only redemptions option for weeks.

Are there any options to upgrade this booking to Biz or Premium economy - perhaps at check-in or at the airport? I don't think I have the option for a plusgade bid (I can't seem to find it anywhere?)

Alternatively, is Iberia any good at releasing last-min seats into award inventory? Currently the flight is J5 W6
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
No last minute J award space. IB protects their revenue rather than letting people book PE and reliably upgrade later.

I wouldn't expect a Y --> J upgrade offer either. Maybe a PE upgrade offer, but that cabin is small so often full anyhow.

P.S. W6 could easily mean 1 seat left in PE, but IB are willing to sell 5 more and opup.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Got it. Thanks-- although a bummer!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
No last minute J award space. IB protects their revenue rather than letting people book PE and reliably upgrade later.

I wouldn't expect a Y --> J upgrade offer either. Maybe a PE upgrade offer, but that cabin is small so often full anyhow.

P.S. W6 could easily mean 1 seat left in PE, but IB are willing to sell 5 more and opup.
can you please explain what the Fare codes mean on Expert Flyer for Iberia.

I know J is business and Y is economy. But thats all I know.

thanks for your help as always Craig
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by feysul
can you please explain what the Fare codes mean on Expert Flyer for Iberia.

I know J is business and Y is economy. But that’s all I know.

thanks for your help as always Craig
PE books in W, E, T on IB and BA, W being the code for fully refundable PE. E and T are the booking classes for the cheaper discounted PE fares, and availability for those will always decrease more quickly than for W. So W6 E4 T2 means that there are just 2 seats available for T-class fare bookings, 4 for E-class fares, and 6 for full fare PE fares.

If the business cabin is wide open, say it looks like J9 C9 D9 I9, and you see W6 E0 T0 in PE, it may well be that there is only one or two physical seats (and perhaps even none) still unsold in the PE cabin, and IB is willing to oversell PE seats at an expensive W fare with a view to upgrading passengers into otherwise empty seats in the biz cabin. IB also probably assumes that many PE passengers are likely to take up an upgrade offer at OLCI anyway, so they won't even need to upgrade all of those extra PE passengers (if any) for free.
feysul likes this.

Last edited by London Dude; Nov 9, 2022 at 7:59 am
Old Nov 9, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by London Dude
PE books in W, E, T on IB and BA, W being the code for fully refundable PE. E and T are the booking classes for the cheaper discounted PE fares, and availability for those will always decrease more quickly than for W. So W6 E4 T2 means that there are just 2 seats available for T-class fare bookings, 4 for E-class fares, and 6 for full fare PE fares.

If the business cabin is wide open, say it looks like J9 C9 D9 I9, and you see W6 E0 T0 in PE, it may well be that there is only one or two physical seats (and perhaps even none) still unsold in the PE cabin, and IB is willing to oversell PE seats at an expensive W fare with a view to upgrading passengers into otherwise empty seats in the biz cabin. IB also probably assumes that many PE passengers are likely to take up an upgrade offer at OLCI anyway, so they won't even need to upgrade all of those extra PE passengers (if any) for free.
Thank you LondonDude, as always.....a couple questions... does number for J ever get higher than "9" this question also applies to "W" fare code.

also finally is there an explanation more detailed on What C, D, I, E, and T mean?

I am using ExpertFlyer to help more and more with help trying to upgrade from PE which i always book from ORD to MAD...basically by knowing the facts ahead of time I can not get as stressed.

Very interesting your comments on W9 and J product upgrading.. Interesting tactic!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Thank you LondonDude, as always.....a couple questions... does number for J ever get higher than "9" this question also applies to "W" fare code.

also finally is there an explanation more detailed on What C, D, I, E, and T mean?
Seat availability is up to the airlines to disclose. Most choose to show a max 9 seats for each class of service, although a few limit that to 8 or 7.

Refer to the attached chart from BAEC for an explanation of the classes of service. Left to right, the codes are associated with more expensive fares with fewer restrictions to cheaper fares with more restrictions. The codes are the same for BA and IB, and also across oneworld airlines with some minor variations, e.g. PE on AA (or on BA/IB-op'ed codeshares with AA flight numbers) will book into W for full fare and P for discounted fares, vs W and E or T on BA/IB.

Last edited by London Dude; Nov 9, 2022 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Expert Flyer has its uses, but for me it just increases the stress and disappointment.

The number of times I've been in a clearly sold-out PE cabin... and flown in PE. And the number of times I have been opup-ed to J despite there apparently being lots of seats for sale in PE...

You're just as well off checking your IB booking regularly for upgrade offers, as well as checking award space to see if you might be able to upgrade using Avios
London Dude likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On automated ticketing in Amadeus, the maximum number of passengers on a single booking is 9. Group travel allows for a higher number. In Sabre it's 7 passengers maximum. Therefore Amadeus never shows a number higher than 9, since that number would accept all conventional bookings. Ditto in Sabre the number shown in EF is never higher than 7. If an IB customer made a booking for 9 passengers in a particular fare class, it's possible that Amadeus would automatically refresh and show 9 again. Or say 5 or indeed zero. So a number 9 means "we are ready to sell at least 9 seats at this booking class, but it could be more".
LupineChemist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.