Search

avios cancelled due to inactivity

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo; HH Diamond
avios cancelled due to inactivity

Hi,

I just noticed my IBERIA plus is missing 165000 avios, They were removed due to inactivity. Their policy states that you have to have one activity in the last 36 month. I looked at my records and it looks like they removed them 1 month before 36 months had passed since my last award flight booked with avios with IBERIA. Also, I never received any email warming as their website states I should have (an email should be sent 2 month before expiration). I just filled out a form on their website but am worried this may be not enough. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Besstrashny Boug
Hi,

I just noticed my IBERIA plus is missing 165000 avios, They were removed due to inactivity. Their policy states that you have to have one activity in the last 36 month. I looked at my records and it looks like they removed them 1 month before 36 months had passed since my last award flight booked with avios with IBERIA. Also, I never received any email warming as their website states I should have (an email should be sent 2 month before expiration). I just filled out a form on their website but am worried this may be not enough. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Activity isn't the date you FLY on an award. It is the date you REDEEMED the award.

I haven't seen any data points suggesting that IB+ reinstates Avios for people for simply forgot to remain active... By all means keep pressuring IB+, but don't expect much.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But surely non airline activities count too. I had some Avios from some silly game in December 2019 so I fully expect my Avios to expire in Dec 2022. So I will buy some Avios just to keep my account alive. By the way, there's a 50% bonus for Avios purchases good until 3rd October, for those in a similar situation.
Besstrashny Boug likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
But surely non airline activities count too. I had some Avios from some silly game in December 2019 so I fully expect my Avios to expire in Dec 2022. So I will buy some Avios just to keep my account alive. By the way, there's a 50% bonus for Avios purchases good until 3rd October, for those in a similar situation.
do you get to buy in EUR vs USD? lucky you. its such a massive difference in price.

also, what does your price sheet show? i see a cap of 150,000 Avios / Ł2,415 / €2,705 / $4,149
https://buyavios.iberia.com/resources/pricing-buy
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:35 am

easiest way is to just transfer some Chase or Amex points.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, indeed, I have a cap of 150,000 points, which makes 225,000 with the bonus. But I don't but nearly so many. Certainly, my account is in Euros.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
do you get to buy in EUR vs USD? lucky you. its such a massive difference in price.

also, what does your price sheet show? i see a cap of 150,000 Avios / Ł2,415 / €2,705 / $4,149
https://buyavios.iberia.com/resources/pricing-buy
LOL that's insane, with the EURUSD at 0.98 and GBPUSD below 1.10 currently. That chart must have been published some 15 years ago and never updated since, as it iimplies exchange rates of 1.50 for EURUSD and 1.70 for GPBUSD.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by London Dude
LOL that's insane, with the EURUSD at 0.98 and GBPUSD below 1.10 currently. That chart must have been published some 15 years ago and never updated since, as it iimplies exchange rates of 1.50 for EURUSD and 1.70 for GPBUSD.
I can’t get it to display anything other than dollars at the purchase page. Accessing the site from Europe and tried in Spanish too. I’m not so sure the chart means anything.

It could be something set from my account though, who knows.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 1:55 pm

Yes, indeed, I have a cap of 150,000 points, which makes 225,000 with the bonus. But I don't but nearly so many. Certainly, my account is in Euros.
thank you for the confirmation. looks like 150k is a new limit. future is YMMV. but if you are priced in EUR, i would max out. unless you really dont see yourself making it work.

Originally Posted by London Dude
yea. its crazy arbitrage now.

Originally Posted by Seanish
I can’t get it to display anything other than dollars at the purchase page. Accessing the site from Europe and tried in Spanish too. I’m not so sure the chart means anything.

It could be something set from my account though, who knows.
you have to change your address. thats why. before that trick worked for EUR. but its too much risk for me. dont want my account shutdown.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Besstrashny Boug
Hi,

Thank you in advance!
wish i had better answer. many many pple same as u.
my Iberia miles expired - anyone has experience with Reinstate
Avios Expiration Issue
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Activity isn't the date you FLY on an award. It is the date you REDEEMED the award.

I haven't seen any data points suggesting that IB+ reinstates Avios for people for simply forgot to remain active... By all means keep pressuring IB+, but don't expect much.
Thank you for the clarification. I have little hope but will bring COVID and the fact they never sent me an email up. Will update what happens.
Seanish likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:27 pm

Good luck!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:43 pm

Iberia is really bad. I lost 100k miles two months after transferring those from BA. Did not count as an activity. Stay away.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by estrela
Iberia is really bad. I lost 100k miles two months after transferring those from BA. Did not count as an activity. Stay away.
Why blame Iberia for you not knowing or researching the rules? If you are playing the points game then you better know the rules of the game.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why did you think transferring Avios to BA would reset the clock?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.