Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Seat selection on Business Optima Fares/OWE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P

Similar to other airlines IB is currently unbundling their Business Class fares. There are three fare families: Optima, Comfort and Flexible. They are differentiated in respect of change and refund conditions, baggage allowance and also in respect of advance seat reservation, which is only available in the Comfort and Flexible family.

Other OW airlines, e.g. QR, have introduced the same system and still allow OWE to select seats in advance. Therefore I wonder if IB is the same? My travel agent had no idea …
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
OWE always get seat selection included on IB.

FWIW they also get one checked bag, even when buying a hand-baggage only fare.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by craigthemif
OWE always get seat selection included on IB.

FWIW they also get one checked bag, even when buying a hand-baggage only fare.

Unfortunately, this no longer appears to be true.... I have just booked travel for the summer (business class "optima" fare) and am being asked to pay for seat selection -- despite being OWE.

My partner (OWS) had a similar situation at the beginning of April -- I called the US customer service number and the agent insisted that there was absolutely no seat selection possible on optima fares.

Bill

ETA -- the website has let me select on the return for free... but still wants to charge me for the outbound.

Edit #2 -- now the website has let me select both directions for free... perhaps it is Iberia's poor IT, rather than the seating policy!!
jonr405 likes this.

Last edited by sombrachinesca; May 1, 2022 at 2:38 pm
Old May 2, 2022, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Unfortunately, this no longer appears to be true.... I have just booked travel for the summer (business class "optima" fare) and am being asked to pay for seat selection -- despite being OWE.

My partner (OWS) had a similar situation at the beginning of April -- I called the US customer service number and the agent insisted that there was absolutely no seat selection possible on optima fares.

Bill

ETA -- the website has let me select on the return for free... but still wants to charge me for the outbound.

Edit #2 -- now the website has let me select both directions for free... perhaps it is Iberia's poor IT, rather than the seating policy!!
Iberia IT is rubbish. But the policy is still to allow free seat selection to Oneworld elites.
Lefly likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Iberia IT is rubbish. But the policy is still to allow free seat selection to Oneworld elites.

Thanks for your response, which is affirmative in respect of the seat selection of OWE on Optima fares. The clumpsy IT is yet another (well known) issue, which may affect you even with the most expensive flex ticket …
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Hi,
any more experiences with successful seat selections on optima fares?
Is there any time frame the system maybe needs to "process" the ticket and the added FF number until free selection will be unlocked?
Right after booking it still wants me to charge for seat selection on shorthaul...
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by SirToby
Hi,
any more experiences with successful seat selections on optima fares?
Is there any time frame the system maybe needs to "process" the ticket and the added FF number until free selection will be unlocked?
Right after booking it still wants me to charge for seat selection on shorthaul...
would like to know answer to above too. Just booked a trip with Iberia and now trying to work thru this seat selection game....
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cwoo
would like to know answer to above too. Just booked a trip with Iberia and now trying to work thru this seat selection game....
My booking eventually accepted free seat selection after around 7 - 10 days...
cwoo and Seanish like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JAL Sapphire
ok still patiently waiting. AMEX platnium travel lady has no clue on getting an AA locator given my flight is AA operated by Iberia. Currently Iberia still wanting to charge $81/seat on my premium economy seat - trip date is March 2023, so I still have time, hopefully will eventually make free seat selection available to me soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.