Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Final Leg of Return Flight Cancelled - Advice Please

Final Leg of Return Flight Cancelled - Advice Please

Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Angry Final Leg of Return Flight Cancelled - Advice Please

Hi, we are flying back from Madrid right after the new year and our final leg from Boston to DC was just cancelled by Iberia. There are no other options that day. They offer to change the date or the final destination, but not to see if we can be routed through London, NY or Miami. Do I wait to see if more options open up before rescheduling? Can I even do that, or do I forfeit my right to reschedule after a certain time. None of this is clear from their email. I really do not want to cancel the entire booking because we got it at a great price and the connections are perfect.

Another option is to just buy a separate ticket from Boston to DC, but these too are limited. Do they have an obligation to refund the one leg? Iberia customer service is horrible so wanted to see what my options are.

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I can't answer your question about what you are owed by Iberia, but if you opt to purchase a separate BOS-WAS ticket, be aware that several airlines fly that route. AA (whose flight was apparently cancelled), Delta, and JetBlue fly into DCA; UA flies into IAD; and Southwest (whose fares include two free checked bags) flies into BWI.

Good luck!
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much, since I'm new, i had no idea if I posted right. I did check the flights, but since we arrive at 7pm and Boston is notorious for passengers having to wait forever for luggage, the only flight available (at least now) is a Delta flight at 8:15pm. Don't think we will make it
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Under EC261 regulations, IB is required to get you to DC. (assuming you bought your ticket from IB using money or Avios) The flight wasn't "cancelled by Iberia". It will be an AA schedule change that messed everything up. Was the BOS-WAS flight booked with an IB or an AA flight code?

I suggest that you keep calling back. IB can be most flexible if you suggest an alternative route on British Airways. Other routes requiring AA connections are harder. Don't ask the agent to think of alternative routes/flights, look for the ones you like and read the flight numbers over the phone if necessary.

As a last resort, you can book your own BOS-WAS ticket and sue IB in small claims court in Europe to be refunded.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AZ MilleMiglia, AF/KLM Flying Blue, A3 Miles & Bonus
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Under EC261 regulations, IB is required to get you to DC. (assuming you bought your ticket from IB using money or Avios) The flight wasn't "cancelled by Iberia". It will be an AA schedule change that messed everything up. Was the BOS-WAS flight booked with an IB or an AA flight code?

I suggest that you keep calling back. IB can be most flexible if you suggest an alternative route on British Airways. Other routes requiring AA connections are harder. Don't ask the agent to think of alternative routes/flights, look for the ones you like and read the flight numbers over the phone if necessary.

As a last resort, you can book your own BOS-WAS ticket and sue IB in small claims court in Europe to be refunded.
EC261 Regulations are clear that it’s the operating carrier who is responsible and liable. I highly doubt that Iberia operates a BOS-WAS route. AA is responsible for rebooking.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

When I call AA they say that since we booked through Iberia, they have no control over the ticket
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leeza Fdz
When I call AA they say that since we booked through Iberia, they have no control over the ticket
AA is correct. The rebooking -- if any -- must be done by IB.

Edited to add:

This may be incorrect under the particular facts of this case. See Post #11, below.

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 18, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

So Iberia has to find an alternate choice to fly to another city like NYC or Miami or London and make it work if I refuse a cancellation of the ticket?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:41 pm

EU Regulations are clear that it is the operating carrier (AA) who is responsible not the contracting carrier.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

*claiming ignorance of international guidelines* since AA is an American airline, do they have to abide by EU regulations and mandates?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:51 pm

*claiming ignorance of international guidelines* since AA is an American airline, do they have to abide by EU regulations and mandates?
Yes, a few years ago the case law ruled that each segment was different, but the current case law is that since your journey started in Madrid, even though the last connection is in a non-Member state operated by a non-Member airline, you are still protected under the EC Regulation.

Article 5

Cancellation

1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:

(a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and

(b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in event of re-routing when the reasonably expected time of departure of the new flight is at least the day after the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and

(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:

(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or

(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or

(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fmirenzi
Yes, a few years ago the case law ruled that each segment was different, but the current case law is that since your journey started in Madrid, even though the last connection is in a non-Member state operated by a non-Member airline, you are still protected under the EC Regulation.

Article 5

Cancellation

1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:

(a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and

(b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in event of re-routing when the reasonably expected time of departure of the new flight is at least the day after the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and

(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:

(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or

(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or

(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
If that's the case, then the OP will have to find someone at AA who is cognizant of AA's EU obligations in this circumstance. I'm not sure what avenue is best for doing that: phone, Twitter, or submission via aa.com. Whatever method the OP chooses, it will be important to point out that the OP is seeking assistance from AA because of AA's obligation as the operating carrier under EU regulations, despite the fact that IB is the ticketing carrier. This would be a departure from the general rule that the ticketing carrier is responsible for rebooking the passenger in the event of schedule changes/irregularities.

Does Iberia's own Conditions of Carriage address this situation?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I am pretty sure if their flight is AFTER the new year and AA cancelled the flight now - they are outside of the 2 week window and that means AA is completely off the hook. IB sold you the ticket and has an obligation to get you to Wash DC, but they can also say "Sorry, we can't" and give you a refund.

My advice would be to find a routing that works (Have several in order of preference) and when you call IB, ask to be rescheduled with the flights you had setup ahead of time.
Deckter likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by fmirenzi
EU Regulations are clear that it is the operating carrier (AA) who is responsible not the contracting carrier.
This is true on the day, but since the flight is a couple of months away OP just needs to find a reasonable reroute and ask IB for it. There is no need for any drama, just a simple phone call.
Adam1222 and Deckter like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:05 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by etiene
This is true on the day, but since the flight is a couple of months away OP just needs to find a reasonable reroute and ask IB for it. There is no need for any drama, just a simple phone call.
​​​​​​T here's also nothing AA could do.... They're not going to add a special flight for OP. They could at most book OP the next morning- which AA could do as well. (At most, since AA has no control over the ticket at this point.) Far easier to call IB and get rerouted. Unclear if OP tried calling them or the issue was on the website, but IB should be able to rebook through New York or Miami into DCA. If OP called and was told otherwise, hang up and call again.
​​​​​​
etiene likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Oct 19, 2021 at 5:12 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.