Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked baggage issue - 2 PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Checked baggage issue - 2 PNRs

I wonder if you can give me the answer to this. We will be flying ALC-MAD-NTE. It was originally MAD-NTE as there was no Avios availability in J ALC-MAD-NTE. Subsequesntly I saw that there was availability ALC-MAD in Y for an Avios booking. As there is nearly a 5 hour lay over in MAD this was more than do-able. My question is - will they allow me to check the bags all the way through to NTE or only as far as MAD. It really does not matter as we have so much time but of course it would be more convenient if we did not have to.

I rarely check luggage so have no idea of the rules regarding 2 PNRs - can you advise? Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I wonder if you can give me the answer to this. We will be flying ALC-MAD-NTE. It was originally MAD-NTE as there was no Avios availability in J ALC-MAD-NTE. Subsequesntly I saw that there was availability ALC-MAD in Y for an Avios booking. As there is nearly a 5 hour lay over in MAD this was more than do-able. My question is - will they allow me to check the bags all the way through to NTE or only as far as MAD. It really does not matter as we have so much time but of course it would be more convenient if we did not have to.

I rarely check luggage so have no idea of the rules regarding 2 PNRs - can you advise? Many thanks in advance.
You will have to pick un your baggage in MAD, exit and check-in again for your MAD-NTE leg.

You have 2 different PNRs so they won't let you check your bags all the way.

At the check-in desk in ALC it will be an ALC-MAD flight for them and nothing else.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by danielsanchezpearson
You will have to pick un your baggage in MAD, exit and check-in again for your MAD-NTE leg.

You have 2 different PNRs so they won't let you check your bags all the way.

At the check-in desk in ALC it will be an ALC-MAD flight for them and nothing else.
Fine - now we know. We have 5 hours so it is not an issue. Thank you so much!
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
There is no harm in asking, but the base assumption should be that the agent won't through-check on separate tickets.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
There is no harm in asking, but the base assumption should be that the agent won't through-check on separate tickets.
For multiple security reasons I don't think it can technically done. I'm probably wrong, but how can the agent "combine" your PNRs into one and check your bag to final destination? If it were the case, many people would buy separate tickets and then ask for them to be merged into one.
I must be wrong on my assumptions , but they sound right to me...😉
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by danielsanchezpearson
For multiple security reasons I don't think it can technically done. I'm probably wrong, but how can the agent "combine" your PNRs into one and check your bag to final destination? If it were the case, many people would buy separate tickets and then ask for them to be merged into one.
I must be wrong on my assumptions , but they sound right to me...😉
There is no technical impediment. In fact, it used to be done. But now it is policy not to check baggage through with two reservations (not just with IB, BA made the same decision at the same time, for instance).
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
There is no technical impediment. In fact, it used to be done. But now it is policy not to check baggage through with two reservations (not just with IB, BA made the same decision at the same time, for instance).
Of course, we mustn’t forget QR, CX, UL, MH and even QF (though only in very specific circumstances) still offer the courtesy of through checked baggage on separate PNRs
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
For a 3 hour connection 9:35 am - 12:35 pm, on separate PNRs, is that enough time to comfortably collect and recheck bags on a VCE-MAD-LAX itinerary?

ir should I come in the night before?

Last edited by beachfan; Nov 15, 2021 at 3:25 pm
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by beachfan
For a 3 hour connection 9:35 am - 12:35 pm, on desperate PNRs, is that enough time to comfortably collect and recheck bags on a VCE-MAD-LAX itinerary?

VCE flights lands at 9:35 and LAX flight departs at 12:35? I would choose the night layover option... I don't like the risk.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
For a 3 hour connection 9:35 am - 12:35 pm, on desperate PNRs, is that enough time to comfortably collect and recheck bags on a VCE-MAD-LAX itinerary?

(My emphasis)
Three hours is not exactly desperate. The key here is that should the incoming flight be IB, the plane will night stop in VCE, so you would have plenty of notice of the flight cancellation. That said, Madrid is nice place place for an evening out, if you prefer to play it safe, and I would opt for that with baggage. HBO I’d take the morning VCE-MAD.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
You should be OK. Both Spain and Italy are in the Schengen area so there'll be no immigration queues upon arrival at MAD. Also my experience with FCO-MAD flights is that they're often early, as weather or air traffic delays are rarely an issue in Rome or Madrid, although it may be a different story in Venice, I have no idea. I've only picked up and re-checked my luggage at MAD once for the same reason (different PNRs), upon arrival from ORD and on my way to FCO. My luggage was already on the conveyor belt after I cleared immigration at T4S, about 15 minutes after disembarking, which I found amazingly efficient (that was at about 7:30 am.) Dropping off my luggage at T4 for the onward flight to FCO was also very quick. I reckon I was in IB's T4 lounge less than half an hour after collecting my luggage at T4S, and it would have been far less were it not for the security checks into T4 airside. So if there are no major delays I'd say three hours is plenty.

Last edited by London Dude; Nov 12, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by London Dude
You should be OK. Both Spain and Italy are in the Schengen area so there'll be no immigration queues upon arrival at MAD. Also my experience with FCO-MAD flights is that they're often early, as weather or air traffic delays are rarely an issue in Rome or Madrid, although it may be a different story in Venice, I have no idea. I've only picked up and re-checked my luggage at MAD once for the same reason (different PNRs), upon arrival from ORD and on my way to FCO. My luggage was already on the conveyor belt after I cleared immigration at T4S, about 15 minutes after disembarking, which I found amazingly efficient (that was at about 7:30 am.) Dropping off my luggage at T4 for the onward flight to FCO was also very quick. I reckon I was in IB's T4 lounge less than half an hour after collecting my luggage at T4S, and it would have been far less were it not for the security checks into T4 airside. So if there are no major delays I'd say three hours is plenty.
IF there are no major delays indeed. To me it's a big if, especially if I have to compare the price of an overnight in MAD to the cost of a new ticket to LAX.

I don't know when the flight would be, but in autumn/winter there could also be fog issues at VCE. Also, there is no immigration to pass, but checks for the Spain health forms can slower things down. Plus all the additional checks for proper documentation (covid test, vaccination certificate, entry form) at check-in for the flight to LAX could represent a further delay.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks for the advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.