Iberia passport expiry issue

Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Iberia passport expiry issue

Traveling with wife ORD>MAD in about 6 weeks. Recently discovered that her (US) passport will expire about a week short of 3 months after the date of our return. I know that it's often a requirement that visitors hold a passport which is valid for 3 months after the return. It's nearly impossible to get hers renewed in time. My question is, will they let us board on the outbound?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Spain requires three months validity after the date of your intended return. The gate agent using Timatic will see that you are not cleared to board and may deny you boarding, or they may let it slip. I personally doubt that they will let it slip as the Spanish border police have the right to send your wife back. You can't get a new passport in six weeks?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by orville nmn wright
My question is, will they let us board on the outbound?
Are you willing to gamble the value of the ticket?

If cancel now, you can still probably get full/some value back. If attempt, IB can make the ticket as no show, i.e. no longer valid.

Here is your answer.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:32 am
Suspended

I think you should get cracking on a new passport. Certain stations can turn these out in a day or so. I would think Chicago is one of them.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:00 am
Original Poster

The Expedited services that I've found are quoting six to eight weeks and won't guarantee. Also, you need to submit current passport.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:07 am
Suspended

Cant you show up in person?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Cant you show up in person?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/t...e=articleShare
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
My question is, will they let us board on the outbound?
Simply put, no. No airline wants to get fined for violating rules they must follow about passport validity. Change dates.

Last edited by jspira; Jul 24, 2021 at 7:41 pm
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Presumably your ticket is booked as a return.

If not, you could book a separate one-way ticket back home using miles for whatever departure date would be acceptable to the Spanish authorities (and therefore your airline). Then cancel it when you are safely on Spanish soil. I've done it before for countries that require proof of your intention to leave the country, even when I wasn't quite sure when I would actually be leaving...

Of course if the Spanish passport control agent on departure notices the expiry date of your passport, you'd better think of a really good excuse as to why your departure date was "extended".
MichaelJapan likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Both yours and your wifes are expiring? Change the dates or get new passports for both of you.
Iberia leniency 3 month passport expiration?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Both yours and your wifes are expiring? Change the dates or get new passports for both of you.
Iberia leniency 3 month passport expiration?
thank you. Very helpful.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
thank you. Very helpful.
Well I’m not sure what answer you were expecting. Both travelers have less than the required validity left on their passports. You have three choices. 1) Change your travel dates. 2) Get new passports. 3) Show up and take the chance that you could either be denied boarding or refused entry.
jspira and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Well Im not sure what answer you were expecting. Both travelers have less than the required time left on their passports. You have three choices. 1) Change your travel dates. 2) Get new passports. 3) Show up and take the chance that you could either be denied boarding or refused entry.
I dont either. It was Hobsons Choice. There is no almost exception in IATA Timatic
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Well Im not sure what answer you were expecting. Both travelers have less than the required validity left on their passports. You have three choices. 1) Change your travel dates. 2) Get new passports. 3) Show up and take the chance that you could either be denied boarding or refused entry.
Originally Posted by jspira
I dont either. It was Hobsons Choice. There is no almost exception in IATA Timatic
You're not sure what answer I was expecting? Are you kidding? This is FlyerTalk. Its whole reason for existence is travelers seeking advice from other travelers (like workarounds to problems). Let me give you some examples of what I got, and what else would have been helpful:
1) best would have been a reply from an Iberia gate agent with first hand knowledge. As you know, some FTers are airline employees.
2) next would have been a reply from someone with direct recent experience ("I had a reservation to BCN with a similar passport issue, and here's how they handled it")
3) a suggestion as to how to contact the airline, which is next to impossible (got two good suggestions from another social media site)
4) a suggestion as to how to get an expedited passport renewal which in the current environment is nearly impossible-- see the NYT link above "Do You Need To Renew Your Passport? Good Luck." I did get an interesting lead from another site.
5) creative workaround suggestions-- like the one from CraigtheMIF above
by the way, I have heard talk that some airlines are waiving the 3 month requirement in light of the long delay for US passports (but haven't been able to confirm). Also, although you seem to think I have some nefarious motive, it's only one of us, not both, with the expiration issue.
Finally, I'm always amazed at FT replies which don't help the OP and don't add any new information.

there, I'm done. I'll give you the last word.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:58 pm

…Also, although you seem to think I have some nefarious motive, it's only one of us, not both, with the expiration issue.
there, I'm done. I'll give you the last word.
I am not even going to bother commenting on the rest of it but as to this point, you yourself said it was both of your passports. So enough with the attitude, it was you who said it was both. Good luck.
Traveling with wife ORD>MAD in about 6 weeks. Recently discovered that her (US) passport will expire about a week short of 3 months after the date of our return. I know that it's often a requirement that visitors hold a passport which is valid for 3 months after the return. It's nearly impossible to get hers renewed in time. My question is, will they let us board on the outbound?
​​​
​​​​I'll be leaving in seven weeks for Spain on Iberia. My passport will expire on Dec 19, which is about a week short of three months after my return flight. Yeah, my bad for not addressing this earlier. But I'm being quoted eight weeks minimum for expedited renewal, and that would require me to turn in my present passport. Can't get through to Iberia by phone. Does anyone have any actual experience or first hand knowledge as to whether they might deny my boarding on the outbound due to pp expiration? I know you're supposed to have a minimum 3 months till expiry, but in today's climate it will be hard for me to get a renewal in time. thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.